SO HARD TO READ!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by franners, Jun 28, 2003.

1. franners

franners New Member

I can barely read any more and spelling is very hard. I have noticed this a month or more ago. I have to really watch my spelling and look at each word after I write it. I can't just look at the screen and type the words from keyboard memory any more. And I have problems with my speech at times. Is not all the time. I also have to substitute some words cause I seem to can't remember the harder ones that I use to use.
    If I try to start a sentence I really odd feeling. Please tell me I'm not the oly one with this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are very commong with our illnesses. Most of us suffer with them at one level or another. It is very frustrating not to be able to do what we used to do easily.

When we are able to improve our overall health, this seems to get better.

Love, Mikie
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Fran, I have the same problem. Though it doesn't sound as severe as yours, mine was more severe at first and waxes and wanes. Some days I seem to not do it at all, though if I look at something a few days later I notice dropped/swapped letters, etc. This is frustrating for me because I've always been a good speller and always wrote neatly.

What makes it worse for me in a conversation is if someone is waiting for my reply and they seem impatient. I just tell 'em to give me a minute.
  4. leecmc

leecmc New Member

Hi franners!

I am new to the board. I had back surgery in 1992. Afterwards I began to realize something new was happening to my body. I felt like I was walking through molasses. Each step was an effort. I had memory and speech problems, as well as extreme body pain. I was diagnosed with FMS in 1996.

I can tell when I am near a flare,I begin to have spelling problems. I transpose letters and can't remember how to spell the simplest words. Added to the mix I will also have trouble forming sentences or remembering what things are called that I am trying to talk about. Sometimes I have to pick up what I am talking about because the word isn't there for me. Fibro fog is very frustrating.

5. mstg

mstg New Member

I have this problem too...It was bad when I was working as a detective and had to testify in court. I was lucky and got by without anyone noticing that I was substituting words and things. I think what I really hate is the way my daughter looks at me and my best friend. They dont seem to understand they make fun and say things like duh...My daughter is a RN but seems to have no compassion when it comes to me.
    Like when you talk with someone on the phone and even though you havent talked with them in a couple of days its like you thought you had talked with them yesterday...This is one of the things I hate as bad if not worst than the pain...Im afraid sometimes that I might be losing my mind or whats left of it...
  6. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I started doing the crossword and wordscramble everyday just to keep my brain limber. I don't just get stuck forgetting the higher level thinking words--it can be any word. Sofa or window or patio. It drives me nuts. I try to be articulate when my brain is functioning at a higher level just for the practice. I get the dictionary out when I don't know a word in the crossword because I feel like I am losing my edge on language.

Another very good thing is just to keep reading. Anything you like. Magazines, books (trashy or whatever), for fun type books that give you a situation and you try to figure it out with toothpicks or coins or something like that.

My kids love doing that and can help me.

But no this. YOU ARE NOT ALONE( : Do your best to laugh about it and not let it get you down. Find someone who can laugh with you.

Lynda B.

7. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I was the kid who would win spelling bees in my school and was good at grammar and now i catch myself making all sorts of uneducated spelling mistakes. But, I don't care so much, as long as people can understand what I type, it's just surprising what my brain is doing now.

Reading has been very difficult for me the last 3 years, but someone told me that if I forced myself and practised that it would get better.

I was an avid reader before. Always reading a book on the bus and at night before sleep. but, then couldn't focus enough to read much at once and completely stopped reading novels, informational books, etc.

So...it took me a while to find an easy to read book that interested me [Previously I was reading books on Ancient England or about our illness, like Oslers Web or something, or spirituality and consciousness, or ancient writngs from the Sumerians etc - most of which boggles my mind now, and not in a good way, lol!]

but I found something, a Stephen King novel from a whatchamacllit? series? I had started several years ago on The DArk Tower.

Anyhow, with perseverance I made it through the novel, my first one in 2 years I think. My CFS friend was right, with effort my cognitive function, ability to focus improved a little. I have read one more novel since and am on my 3rd of the last 1.5 years. It may not be much compared to the past where a novel wouldn't last a week, but for me now, it's a big accomplishment.

Speech is sometimes a little difficult for me. It got a lot worse last year when i exhausted myself visiting my mother at the other side of the country. There was a noticeable pause between my opening my mouth and starting my word/sentence and there were so many more gaps in my word finding. But, under normal circumstances it is only minor and usually main problem is with finding the descriptive word I am looking for.

I mostly give up with trying to remember people's names. Wasn't great at that BEFORE i got sick.

I'll bet you'll notice on days when you are less exhausted, your cognitive functioning will also be a little better.

someone from my support group says taking gingko biloba has really worked to improve her cognitive fn, but I haven't tried it yet, I'm on so many other things right now. It's a blood thinner so must be careful taking it with certain meds.

8. franners

franners New Member

I am so happy I found this board!!!You guys are the greatest!
    Thank you for your suggestions and I will try them all.
    I love Steven King and will try again.
    Thanks again and I love you guys!