SO, is it physical or mental - please reply

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by missdiz, Dec 11, 2005.

1. missdiz

missdiz New Member

I have been diagnosed with Fibro for 5 1/2 years. Most of the time I do pretty well coping. At Christmas time, however, I seem to have more flares. Could ANYONE explain why I can go to Disneyland and walk around for 2 days (resting in between, of course), but when it comes to errands in and out of the car and shopping a mall, I have a meltdown the next day?????? Is it physical or mental?? This has been a bad week for me. Thanks for listening....
  2. missdiz

missdiz New Member

I know stress is a major factor and I have such little in my life (on the outside). But, with me, a lot is inside. It is hard to understand why I can do some things and not others. We must just keep truckin'
  3. patches25

patches25 New Member

You might want to think about how much activity your arms are doing. That makes me go into flares more than walking. E.
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

stress can make it worse.

The progress I have made, and which continues, is because I looked beyond the psychobabble and references to these DDs being a result of poor adaption to mental and emotional stresses. Just like improvements achieved years ago, this has come about through concentrating on the physical factors.

Two doctors I saw in the 80s and early 90s frequently commented on how the symptoms, which can be misinterpretted as psychological, resolve when the physical causes of them are successfully treated.

The severity of symptoms often wax and wane without identifiable triggers, so if there's no obvious cause I have learned to just wait it out.

Tansy
  5. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I relate to how difficult the Christmas season can be. It certainly takes it's toll on me each year. I wish you a happy Christmas, as stress-free and enjoyable as possible.

Here are my thoughts on the physical/mental question. These days, it can be a challenge for me to get my ideas across so I hope my words make some kind of sense to you:

Most people understand that what impacts on the body, impacts on the mind. And vice-versa. For example; remembering an unpleasant memory (mental) can lead us to tense our neck and shoulders which in turn brings on a headache or muscle pain (physical). Experiencing (physical) pain can lead us to feel frustrated, angry, depressed (mental). This phenomenon has traditionally been referred to as the mind-body connection.

The word 'connection' implies the existence of two separate entities within a single individual. This perspective suggests that different aspects of our being can be categorized either into the realm of the physical or into the realm of the mental/emotional.

I don't believe each person consists of two entities. I believe we are one. Rather than separate illness into two camps (physical illness vs. mental illness), I prefer to view health from a more wholistic view, seeing each person as a 'bodymind' rather than a body and mind.

Recent discoveries have determined that we store memories in our body not just in our brain. This discovery supports the idea of the bodymind, suggesting that the body and mind are a single entity and cannot be separated.

We have been conditioned to view mental health issues as different than physical health issues. Having mental health issues carries a stigma in this society so it's no wonder people prefer their particular illness be defined in purely physical terms. It's much more 'acceptable' to be diagnosed with a physical illness than a mental illness.

However, as long as we feel ashamed of anything described as 'mental', or feel insulted by the suggestion that our mind plays a role in our health, we will be stuck in the status quo and continue to advocate for the separation of mind and body.

We may do this inadvertently but, in our fear of being labeled as having a 'psychiatric disorder', we dismiss a healthier, more wholistic and (in my opinion) more accurate view of health in favour of a more fragmented and dualistic view. This will surely impede our progress and our ability to heal both personally and societally.

In my own life, I've been diagnosed with both physical and mental conditions (according to the medical model used by most doctors). Through my own experience of illness, I've concluded there is no significant difference between the mental and the physical; illness is illness, pain is pain, limitations are limitations, visible or invisible, no matter the origin.

The brain is part of the body,
    as are the heart
    and lungs
    etc.

This is just my opinion.
    I hope I haven't offended anyone.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  6. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

To you AnneTheresa.....great post!
  7. paintinglady

paintinglady New Member

When my family dr. was trying to figure out what was wrong with me, she asked me if I wanted to investigate one area at a time or all at once. I told her I'm tired of feeling this way, make my referrals and I'll see them all at once.

My gastrologist couldn't find anything but wants to keep an eye on my gall bladder. The Rhuemy said it was FM & undifferentiated connective tissue disease, but wants further tests done for lupis and rhuematoid arthritis since he thinks I'm in the beginning stages of that.

My neurophychiatrist did all kinds of wierd and sometimes fun tests to see how my brain was working (because of the memory, speech, & cognitive problems. Turns out my brain isn't damaged but he thinks I'm in a major depression and said that he would like to start with helping me get better sleep (recommended a sleep test) and gave me lots of suggestions to help me relax and take time for just me. To de-stress.

This is all very new to me, just had my latest appts. last week. It makes sence that it all ties together some. I have had a proble with depression and I guess it has become major since it took so long to find out anything. Anyway, I really don't know what will happen but at this point I'm willing to try anything.

I'm still going to switch Rhuemys. Mine leaves a lot to be desired in a dr.
    Carol
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Try to notice each time you have a major flare if you were lifting heavy things, or doing unusual movements.

If you are just walking and resting, no problem.

If you go shopping and wind up carrying heavy bags, or turning and twisting in the car, in about one day, your muscles will have their rebellion.
  9. zerped

zerped New Member

I've had the same experience with a few trips to Mazatlan since my ME/CFIDS began. First off, you went to Disneyland, which means being somewhere warmer than most of the U.S. right now. I know that any place warm and dry is where I should be living, instead of cold and damp Portland. My doc and I figured that getting more sunshine helps with the fatigue, since sunlight is how our bodies obtain most of the Vitamin D we need, and this nutrient has a big effect on fatigue.

Along with the heat and sun, a trip like that is de-stressing (as others have mentioned). One of the things I loved most about my first trip to MZT was just sitting in a big rocking chair on the porch of the hotel, sipping Coke and watching the waves and the people. This was where I discovered the idea of "pacing." I decided I could do whatever I wanted on the trip, as long as I laid down for a half-hour beforehand. You're more likely to do this on a vacation than at work in a normal 8-hour day.

With the methods above, and with a really healthy diet on my trips, I have been able to be much more productive, relaxed, and in good spirits. I left my meds behind (not recommending this to others), and only took my amitryptalin and a few Tylenol the 10 days I was there. Hope this helps.

[This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
  10. Bambi

Bambi New Member

as well as getting overly emotionally stressed. Either thing can set it off I believe. A ride from here to my doctor's office is 45 minutes, then back 45 minutes. It always has me down for a day afterward, and not because the visit was stressful because it never is. Just the ride does some of it but the stress of our wall to wall traffic doesn't help.

The worst BODY pain comes from the over exertion of lifting, pushing, pulling, straining though. The IBS, upper back and shoulder stuff is more
    usually after emotional stress. The crazy part is it can also happen when NOTHING has gone on physical or mental...so I vote it's a physical thing mostly. I agree we are ONE being and a very messed up wiring is involved somewhere.

Most of the time I don't dwell on what did it, I just try to get OUT of the flare and go on. I just want them to find a cure or a sure fire way to
    stop the pain until they do. Meds can take the edge off and I don't expect it to do more than keep me functioning the best I can. But something that would ELIMINATE it entirely would be awesome too. To do that though they'd probably have to stop all feeling which would be a BAD thing.

??????? Who the heck knows?