So Long For A While

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Callum, May 10, 2008.

1. Callum

Callum New Member

It's time to go away and do summer theatre again, so I'll be away from the board for a while. Just wanted to wish everyone a healthy and happy summer!

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

alright then,

have a life if you must.

Break a nail!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Or perhaps in your case it would be, once more into the breeches... and makeup.

Well, you've hardly been here and now you're going away again. No likee those apples.

Do you have any specific plans yet? Already rehearsing?
    Any change in your energy level.

I hope you have a satisfying season. Regards to Gary.
    Break a leg, don't whistle, and keep all hats off the bed.

Your fan

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I too was away for 9 months, I remeber you well and your acting.

Where are you doing summer theatre this year if you are allowed to say.

Good luck.

5. Callum

Callum New Member depends on if I can get access to a computer.

Kina and Nancy, thanks for the well-wishes, and I look forward to catching up in August.

Rafiki - continue being your amazing presence!!!

Annie - I think I can say without getting into trouble, as long as I don't get too specific ... it's a professional summer rep theatre in Iowa that I have a long relationship with. I worked for them in the early nineties, when I was a youngster had hair and health, and five years ago when I finally felt good enough to return to the boards, I started there. I have a lot of dear friends there I've made over the years, and Ihave never been anything but proud of the work produced there. Thanks so much for asking!

Rock - Lately you've seemed to be a little more your self lately; I'm so glad. I hope that that means that you are feeling more like yourself lately.

You probably know where most of the theatrical superstitions come from...

Contrary to popular belief, "break a leg" is not about wishing someone bad luck (this belief probably stems from the tradition of wishing a dancer "merde!"), but actually refers to the Restoration Theater's bows, which were made with the back-weight-bearing leg bent, or "broken." The more successful the performance, the deeper the actor would bow in response to the applause, thus "break a leg".

Whistling was an early system of cues for scene changes, which is why it's bad luck to whistle in the theater.

The strangest is the curse of saying "Macbeth" or quoting the play in the theater (when actually not doing the play). A couple of different traditions follow this one:

the first being that it was considered the "bad luck play", as companies that had hit hard times would perform it to make money.

The second, that the play was cursed due to the witches' incantations.

All I know it that most actors FREAK if this rule is broken. The offender who spoke "Macbeth" has to run outside, turn in a circle three times and spit three times.

My personal superstition is that I must listen to the "Yentl" soundtrack before an audition, and I must pay for my own dinner opening night.

Have a great summer all!

[This Message was Edited on 05/10/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2008]
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I wish you much success, tons of energy and seats filled with happy theater fans.

7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Come back safely and hope all goes well on your acting "jaunt" or whtever you call it. It sounds like fun. Enjoy and don't break any REAL legs (-: !!

8. Callum

Callum New Member

I hope you both have a great summer!

9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I hope you have a great time with your acting and that your health allows you to do what you want.

10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

You just have yourself a great ole time!! Get back to us

and report on your "Stage Performances" as you can. "Break

a leg Kid"!!

11. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Have a great summer breaking a leg in the Windy City. (Wait, that sounds a bit too flatulent).

Hope you feel good and your performances are all inspired.

Take care,

12. Callum

Callum New Member

Thanks for the well wishes, enjoy good health, and chat with you soon! (The summer will fly by - it usually does...)

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2008]
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

I Also wish you a Wonderful Summer with your Theatrical endevor!,,,,Sounds Fun!,,,Thanks for exsplaining what Break a leg means,,,i always wondered about that saying!,,,,,,,Sis
  14. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

you are so lucky to be doing summer theatre. I wish you lots of luck, lots of energy, and of course, lots of happiness and laughter in the process.

Have a wonderful summer and try to check in and lets us know how the performances are going!!

15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Especially the song "Papa Do You Hear Me?" It is so beautifully done by Barbra. Have a good summer and stay well-
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Have a wonderful summer, Callum! Don't forget to come back to us in the fall.

17. Callum

Callum New Member

Thanks so much, and have a great summer!

18. jole

jole Member

Time flies so fast, enjoy every minute of it! I know you've endured a lot to get to the point that you could return to the theatre, so I wish you lots of energy and good times.

Hope to hear from you soon! Wish I could see you perform.... (sigh)....