So mad about why I got this DD, read on..........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Nov 21, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have been posting this on various message boards for patients with heart implants, looking for anyone with similar problem, it is all 100% true, we just found out last wk exactly why all this happened, software glitch. Am I in the wrong for posting this............just wondering.

Jaci B, November 20, 2002 - Hi, This is my first post here. My hubby Scott and I live in TriCities, Washington. He is 40 and just got a Guidant ICD on May 1st at Sacred Heart in Spokane, Washington. On May 15 his local doc here accidentally brought the defib down to 125 from 185, and his defib went off on May 18 seven times. We got ambulanced to Walla Walla Hospital but they could do nothing for him there since they had no idea in the ER what to do with a Guidant Pacer/ICD unit.
    Apparently, there is a Guidant computer with the necessary software in an office right there at the hospital in Walla Walla and they could have helped him but the ER staff did not know it was there. When they called the toll-free Guidant phone number, Guidant should have told them one of the necessary units is right there; Guidant has reps in the area so they could have sent a rep to interrogate it.
    After a few days, I e-mailed Guidant asking them where all the computers were located near us. They had no idea that there was one in that hospital nor did the person who answered my e-mail acknowledge that we had one here in our doctor's office. When I asked where the closest ones are, she said Spokane. That is not true and that is quite a distance.
    We thought my husband was dying. They never told us it can go off repeatedly. We did not even know at that time why it was firing non-stop. They airlifted him to Spokane to Sacred Heart. I could not go along. I had to drive 4 hours by myself up the back country roads, lost out in the middle of nowhere. I was afraid when I got to Spokane that I would find him dead, so convinced was he of that. His mom flew in from Seattle. I called her and she said, "Should I come?" I said yes, thinking it might be the last time she gets to see her son. I called his dad, who immediately left home in TriCities and drove up.
    There was still no answer that night as to why this was happening. It went off 4 times the next morning, then finally a few hours later doctors interrogated it and learned that it was set wrong. They said they were sorry, reset it, and sent us home. We both have gone through so much trauma since then. He has not been the same. He has high anxiety and is scared to death every time he feels any emotion, good or bad. I am 41 years old, healthy up until then, and I went through so much trauma just watching him. I was so scared. They never told us it can go off more than once. I came down with fibromyalgia and since then I have chronic pain. I went to doctor after doctor, and they all said fibromyalgia.
    I had to quit my job or be fired, and I had a career I have been in for many years and loved it. I have never recovered and emotionally we are both a mess. I am basically disabled now and I have not worked since June 1. We just want our life back. Is what we have gone through normal? How do others deal with this?
    As a result now of my stupid fibromyalgia I have hypothyroid, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, insomnia, migraines, anxiety attacks, high cholesterol, and cracked teeth. None of these conditions were present before. Our insurance would not cover psychiatric help for dealing with this horrible event, and our new sudden financial situation due to me being housebound ever since then.
    Here is the whopper. We just learned that the reason it all happened was a software glitch, that even the legal department at Guidant was in on this catastrophe and a lot of software engineers got hung out to dry as a result of the software having this strange problem. It reset the defib rate with no one knowing it could, not even the doctor doing the interrogation.
    My husband is now on Zoloft and Xanax, and we cannot even begin to put our life back together. My hubby has had to leave our son's (actually he is my 8 year old nephew that we are raising for the past 4 years) sporting events and throws up due to anxiety. We cannot any longer attend social functions because of paralyzing fear, fear on his and my part, of him going through that again and dying. He does not even make enough to support us and our nephew, we needed my income. What would you do if you were me? That it was their software glitch just makes me furious. We have lost so much and our lives will never be like they were. Please advise,

MY response to a posted asking what exactly caused the accidental pacemaker reset......

Hi, what happened exactly would take me an hour to explain it but I will do the best I can, believe me when I say I am an expert on this things now, I have probably more knowledge than the doc as I have spent 7 months now studying it and my health issues.

In the Guidant Model 1861 which is ran by Zoom computer software version 3.1 (although it may be 3.2 now) is there are 3 zones, zone 1 is a stright number, his was 185, go straight to defib.
    Bammmmmmm

In zone 2 if you click on it to check it and it is not turned on previously and and is not programmed what exactly to do it automatically goes to 145, straight to defib.
    Bammmmmmmm

In zone 3, same instance but 125 defib, resets to lower numbers thereby not ever getting up to 185, just repeatedly grabbing the 125's and going off.

They should have been able to check it a lot sooner than flying him all over, they had the right computer right there at the first hospital, Guidant should have been able to tell them that when they called, or the Dr in Spokane, nobody knew there was one in the same bldg.

It was all a mystery at that point.

The next morn at Sacred heart in Spokane when he woke up & urinated just the pleasure of that first morning urination sent his heart up to 125 again, I come walking in his room, he is screaming, it is again going off repeatedly, he is 6'2 and 225, big guy, he was up out of that bed every time & crying again and still not knowing why this is happening.
    I begged them to do something, anything, just stop these, they finally turned off the defib with a magnet and waited for the Guidant rep to get there.

It has happened to no one else that I know of, the Dr just shakes his head and plays dumb, no one wants to get anyone in trouble, we did find out how it all happened but we conveniently did not see his Dr this last visit, the rep is now doing the interrogations. The Dr's are not knowledgeable enough is my guess.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I have been posting this on various message boards for patients with heart implants, looking for anyone with similar problem, it is all 100% true, we just found out last wk exactly why all this happened, software glitch. Am I in the wrong for posting this............just wondering.

Jaci B, November 20, 2002 - Hi, This is my first post here. My hubby Scott and I live in TriCities, Washington. He is 40 and just got a Guidant ICD on May 1st at Sacred Heart in Spokane, Washington. On May 15 his local doc here accidentally brought the defib down to 125 from 185, and his defib went off on May 18 seven times. We got ambulanced to Walla Walla Hospital but they could do nothing for him there since they had no idea in the ER what to do with a Guidant Pacer/ICD unit.
    Apparently, there is a Guidant computer with the necessary software in an office right there at the hospital in Walla Walla and they could have helped him but the ER staff did not know it was there. When they called the toll-free Guidant phone number, Guidant should have told them one of the necessary units is right there; Guidant has reps in the area so they could have sent a rep to interrogate it.
    After a few days, I e-mailed Guidant asking them where all the computers were located near us. They had no idea that there was one in that hospital nor did the person who answered my e-mail acknowledge that we had one here in our doctor's office. When I asked where the closest ones are, she said Spokane. That is not true and that is quite a distance.
    We thought my husband was dying. They never told us it can go off repeatedly. We did not even know at that time why it was firing non-stop. They airlifted him to Spokane to Sacred Heart. I could not go along. I had to drive 4 hours by myself up the back country roads, lost out in the middle of nowhere. I was afraid when I got to Spokane that I would find him dead, so convinced was he of that. His mom flew in from Seattle. I called her and she said, "Should I come?" I said yes, thinking it might be the last time she gets to see her son. I called his dad, who immediately left home in TriCities and drove up.
    There was still no answer that night as to why this was happening. It went off 4 times the next morning, then finally a few hours later doctors interrogated it and learned that it was set wrong. They said they were sorry, reset it, and sent us home. We both have gone through so much trauma since then. He has not been the same. He has high anxiety and is scared to death every time he feels any emotion, good or bad. I am 41 years old, healthy up until then, and I went through so much trauma just watching him. I was so scared. They never told us it can go off more than once. I came down with fibromyalgia and since then I have chronic pain. I went to doctor after doctor, and they all said fibromyalgia.
    I had to quit my job or be fired, and I had a career I have been in for many years and loved it. I have never recovered and emotionally we are both a mess. I am basically disabled now and I have not worked since June 1. We just want our life back. Is what we have gone through normal? How do others deal with this?
    As a result now of my stupid fibromyalgia I have hypothyroid, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, insomnia, migraines, anxiety attacks, high cholesterol, and cracked teeth. None of these conditions were present before. Our insurance would not cover psychiatric help for dealing with this horrible event, and our new sudden financial situation due to me being housebound ever since then.
    Here is the whopper. We just learned that the reason it all happened was a software glitch, that even the legal department at Guidant was in on this catastrophe and a lot of software engineers got hung out to dry as a result of the software having this strange problem. It reset the defib rate with no one knowing it could, not even the doctor doing the interrogation.
    My husband is now on Zoloft and Xanax, and we cannot even begin to put our life back together. My hubby has had to leave our son's (actually he is my 8 year old nephew that we are raising for the past 4 years) sporting events and throws up due to anxiety. We cannot any longer attend social functions because of paralyzing fear, fear on his and my part, of him going through that again and dying. He does not even make enough to support us and our nephew, we needed my income. What would you do if you were me? That it was their software glitch just makes me furious. We have lost so much and our lives will never be like they were. Please advise,

MY response to a posted asking what exactly caused the accidental pacemaker reset......

Hi, what happened exactly would take me an hour to explain it but I will do the best I can, believe me when I say I am an expert on this things now, I have probably more knowledge than the doc as I have spent 7 months now studying it and my health issues.

In the Guidant Model 1861 which is ran by Zoom computer software version 3.1 (although it may be 3.2 now) is there are 3 zones, zone 1 is a stright number, his was 185, go straight to defib.
    Bammmmmmm

In zone 2 if you click on it to check it and it is not turned on previously and and is not programmed what exactly to do it automatically goes to 145, straight to defib.
    Bammmmmmmm

In zone 3, same instance but 125 defib, resets to lower numbers thereby not ever getting up to 185, just repeatedly grabbing the 125's and going off.

They should have been able to check it a lot sooner than flying him all over, they had the right computer right there at the first hospital, Guidant should have been able to tell them that when they called, or the Dr in Spokane, nobody knew there was one in the same bldg.

It was all a mystery at that point.

The next morn at Sacred heart in Spokane when he woke up & urinated just the pleasure of that first morning urination sent his heart up to 125 again, I come walking in his room, he is screaming, it is again going off repeatedly, he is 6'2 and 225, big guy, he was up out of that bed every time & crying again and still not knowing why this is happening.
    I begged them to do something, anything, just stop these, they finally turned off the defib with a magnet and waited for the Guidant rep to get there.

It has happened to no one else that I know of, the Dr just shakes his head and plays dumb, no one wants to get anyone in trouble, we did find out how it all happened but we conveniently did not see his Dr this last visit, the rep is now doing the interrogations. The Dr's are not knowledgeable enough is my guess.

Jaci
  3. karmageddon

karmageddon New Member

Hiya!!!

I'm over here in Tacoma, and it isn't any better than what you are describing. I've nearly had heart attacks due to computer glitches, but then I got rid of Windows 98 and things perked up a bit.

I can relate to you passing through the eye of the storm and I wish I could get on here and think of something real fuzzy and warm and reassuring to say, but if you are still in your 40s, you just got started!

This calls for some serious Dr. Phil advice, and I've got one I learned all by myself... I don't think he even knows this one.heh.

I have stood hanging over the edge as you describe more times that I care to recall, but I do remember how awful I felt. So, finally when I was lots older than you *blush* I had to bite the bullet and do something I had never ever considered doing once in my whole life.

I had to take my own advice! *shudder* It doesn't get much more humiliating than that...

Now, I've got the hang of it. I pretend my situation is happening to someone I actually like; and they have come to me for advice. I instantly know what to do next, and after being too stubborn to do it a few times, I got a big fat clue.

I have always lived by the golden rule and if I was as miserable as the rest of the world, I'd want want everyone to ignore me and just go on and be happy... so that's what I'm doing, mostly...

Bess

4. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Hi, I am sorry but I don't get what you are saying, the computer line at first, is that meant as a joke?

Do you understand that my hubby has a device in his heart that has been affected by a software problem and it has turned our life upside down?????

I am not trying to be mean here, I just don't get what you are trying to tell me, is it to pretend like this is someone else's life?

I am just not sure, I will read it again & again & try to understand, could you clarify a bit?

Jaci
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

Jaci, I'm with you on the fog. Yesterday the cognitive dr. told me I was soooooo smart and today I read the above reply and have no idea what it means. We are together on that point.
    You and your hubby have been thru the md hell. No wonder he is terrified. The biggest stresser is one we feel no control over and to have it in your chest must be one big fright. I am not one for law suits but this sounds like a legitimate situation to me. They should at the very least pay you for the expenses you incurred for the trip and stay due to his hospitalization. I would think that if he needs psych. help due to the trauma they caused that it should be provided. That being said I know nothing in this world can be perfect and that includes Dr. and equipment. Part of the reason we cant get dr/s to get out of their safe lane to help us is fear of liability so I'm not suggesting the 50 billion dollar suit but reimbursement of expenses seems like the right thing. I/m so sorry you have all this one you at once but you have each other and hope that blessing will comfort all of you. I wish you courage, strength and hope for a brighter tomorrow.
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I AM suggesting a multi billion dollar lawsuit! If anyone in this world needs to sue, it would be you and your husband. Dear heart, what you two have gone through and will continue to go through is horrendous and my heart breaks for you both. It is absolutely unforgiveable and you SHOULD contact a malpractive lawyer ASAP. Your lives have been halted and now you have a incurable illness which has incapacitated you at your young age!!! I am incensed. Please do this~~this is definitely worth doing and anyone (except the hospital) will completely agree with me. You have become homebound, in a sense, in that you feel unable to socialize. I understand and I beg you to seek legal action. I am sure that an attorney will do this either pro bono or will agree to accept pay after you receive your entitled money. Please let us know how you guys are doing. I WILL pray for you both as I know it can help. You have to do your job and that is to seek legal advice.
    Love,
    Kady
    p.s. No clue as to what the first reply means~~~
    k
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

the best one around here after Thanksgiving, I am seeking it in my name, my hubby is very scared of me even telling people, he is afraid he will get worse care.

I definitely will ask for a different product brand next time in 10 yrs when it needs to be replaced, the batteries last 10 yrs.

Pretty sad.
    Jaci
  8. tamara!

tamara! New Member

That is horrible. I've been through some hard things in my short life, but I CAN'T image! I'M SO ANGRY I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY!!!!!!!! I can understand 1 little mistake, but that is UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!!! They made a ton of huge, irresponsible mistakes!!!!!!! I hope they are held accountable by someone. You make sure you go see that lawyer! I'm sure most of us will be on your side!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs for you both.

For our fight,
    TAMARA!
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

You have both been through hell!
    I would deffinately be persuing it through the courts. I can't believe that your hubby had to suffer like that for no reason :( Has it done any permanent damage to his heart?
    As for the post above, it looks like it has been filled out in answer to another post & accidentally posted under yours, as it makes no sense at all to me & cognitive wise today I don't feel to bad LOL
    **Gentle Hugs**

Lease
  10. sofy

sofy New Member

I can only imagine the fear your husband has over making a fuss with the very people who control the device in your chest. I would address this fear as best I could first and foremost. That fear could do more damage to him than what has already happened. Sometimes the screamers dont get less care but better care because they are under the spotlight of the media. After you talk to your lawyer you might even think about the newspapers. This is a story that needs to be told to warn others. You could even be on 60min or other news magazine show simply from a public health warning standpoint. Morning news shows are probably more likely to do it now. The magazine shows plan waaay in advance. Keep us posted. Your husband will be much in my thoughts for him to find a peace to live and find joy in what IS around him and not be consumed by the fear. Courage and fortitude to you all---your going to need it.