So much better and grateful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dlgfibro, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dlgfibro

dlgfibro New Member

After 5 years of not managing well, I am so much better now. I avoid caffeine, alcohol and strenuous exercise and negative , mean people. I take a low-dose mild anti-depressant Wellbutrin which isn't an SSRI so I don't have the fatigue compounded by those drugs.I go to bed at the same time every night and get 8 hours regardless. I plan for flareups, so I have adequate canned food, and enough paid time off so I won't lose my job ( no vacations to Florida for me). I require my family to be proactive in dealing/adjusting and not make things worse than they are by blame or ignorance although I encourage them to grieve my old life as I do at times and make sure all family members have been educated by my Dr. I do what I can when I can and that is enough. I take Daypro for it's antiinflammatory properties for my joints, so my pain from my arthritis is not amplified.I do not allow myself to get caught up in every snake oil "remedy" out there, I will try alternative treatments but only if approved by my Dr, who says no harm will result and I determine it is worth the money to try it, there are folks/companies who want to cash in on our dream to make this go away by taking a little pill, or taking a supplement. I go to church to maintain community and my faith and I stay grateful I am alive and people love me.
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Wow-sounds like you have figured out a lot of ways to help yourself and your family. As for myself, once I finally got my diagnosis and realized that the FMS (and also health issues) were chronic and not going away, I had to find ways to take care of myself and help myself feel better.

It took longer for my husband to understand my FMS and other health issues and my limitations, but he has come a long way as I have. I left out reading material, which helped both of us. I make sure to take my meds, vitamins and eat healthy. Exercise makes me feel better, but I have to be careful what I do and for how long. Walking is good for me as long as it is on a flat, soft surface. I have a new treadmill which I use a lot.

I also do a lot of stretching and pacing myself. A nap in the afternoon is essential or I can't make it through the rest of the day. I also cut my work hours to half-days now and have a pretty layed-back job that I like.

Like you, I stay away from negative people as much as possible. For those I can't avoid, I am working on not letting their negativity affect me. I also make sure to have quiet time just for myself.

Ellen