So much pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bonger, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Bonger

Bonger New Member

Hello there

I was am so pleased to have found this web site. I feel a slight imposter as I am writing on behalf of my mum who has been suffering from Fibromyalgia for about 10 years now and is at the end of her teather. She is a little shy and feels she cannot go onto a chat room, so I hope you all don't mind if I do it on her behalf. I am very empathetic but not being a sufferer it is very hard for me to really properly understand what she is going through.

She has been very down of late and I am of course worried about her. She has been in a lot of pain everywhere, to the extent of tears most days. She never sleeps at night due to the pain and the condition (in fact she has not properly slept for 10 years and is generally exhausted).

She has tried everything (both medical and non medical) but nothing seems to help her. Her doctor is great and she has tried most of the pain relief drugs but nothing seems to work. They have now trying Codine which they presribed yesterday so lets hope this helps.

I don't want to ramble on as I am sure you all know exactly what I am talking about, but any advice from you would be greatly appreciated. It breaks my heart that my mum is in so much pain and there is nothing I can do about it.

Thank you in advance and Happy Christmas.
    Ali
  2. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

There is a world of information here on the boards and by far this is the best website that supports this illness.

One of the most important things you can do to help your mom is to listen and support her through her bad days and good days.

Going along with her to her doctor appointments is a great idea and reading books on Fibromyalgia. I have listed some below.

"Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: a Survival Manual," Dr. Devin Starlanyl

"The Fibromyalgia Advocate," Devin Starlanyl

"The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook," Clair Davies

"From Fatigued to Fantastic!" Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum

"Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual, 2nd Edition" Author: D.Starlanyl a

"Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 7 Steps to Less Pain and More Energy, by Fred Friedbert.

Please encourage her to participate on the message boards. There are many members who just spend there time on the boards and some do visit the chat as well. I can understand her being hesistant due to other websites. Please let me assure you this site is a very reputable website and we have moderators that keep this a safe place to come. We are family here and I am sure there are others that has alot in common with your mom.

Encourage her to keep hope and she is very lucky to have a daughter like you that is helping.

Also if I could recommend you reading "The Spoon Theory" and "My name is Fibromyalgia". These really explain what it's like living with this awful illness. These are both here on the message boards and you can do a search in the upper left corner of the boards.

Good Luck to you both.

Love & Hugs!
    Carolin