So Now the Doc Says I have CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Nov 21, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello:

Help! I went to the doc today and he said that based on all of my symtoms he believes I officialy have CFS.

I have been dealing with fibro for years. Does anyone know what will happen now and what I should do? How do you balance both?

thanks,

nyrofan
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Sorry about the new Dx. I only have CFS and while I have pain too I don't think it is as extreme as FM.

Hope others have some good advice for you.

Shar
  3. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I was recently diagnosed with both. I'm not sure how to handle it either. My Dr. says work up to walking for 30 min. 6 days a week...Hahahaha! If I did that I would kill myself. Although, the exercise is supposed to be good for FM, for CFS it could make things worse. I would like to see what others come up with as well. So far, I am not able to balance them at all.
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I started getting CFS flare earlier this year for the first time. I was only diagnosed with FM a couple of years ago but like many, I'm sure I had it a long time before the "bad flare" hit.

This year I had a bout of fatigue like no other. My glands were swollen in my neck and painful. Felt like I had mono or something. The fatigue was worse than I've had with FM. I couldn't get up in the morning.

With FM, (and meds) I'm usually able to get to work every day. CFS is something different. I've recently had a second flare and I think I brought that on by overdoing it. It doesn't show up until a couple of days afterwards and then bam.

The only think I can think to do, is not to overdo it. I am able to walk 30 minutes every day and that seems to be helping my energy level. I also take Calcium Pyruvate which also seems to help with energy.

The big difference for me is that FM is pretty much there every day. CFS comes and goes with me. I hope it stays that way!!

All the best

Eileen
  5. teeniebean

teeniebean New Member

I have had the diagnosis of both. I have some pain now, so ostly the CFS now. With a flare up the pain can become unbearable. I try to take as few meds as possible. I take warm baths in minerals to help with pain.
    As far as walking....I had an old golden retriever (15), I could take walks with him. He was very slow, and if I was slower he knew to wait for me to catch up. He helped me get up and moving. So, if you can imagine having a really old dog walking with you, maybe the 30 minutes you can do. To the end of the block and back for starters. Maybe two hundred feet total, very very slowly. Then rest. It can help build stamina, not create it. Very, very slowly, until maybe around the block. Take care of yourself. No one else can. I was diagnosed in 93, went to work for 5 years and have been unable to since 99.
    We all know it is a bitter pill, but we also know there are worse pills. Be grateful today for what we can do very, very slowly. That is my mantra for the Holiday. Thanks for listening.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  6. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I am so sorry to hear this about you. I wish I could be some help to you too but alot of this is new to me too. I have had FM for over 10 years now but just recently been Dx's with CFS, EBV, Herpes Simplex 1, Mycoplasma Pneumonae, Candida, and Lyme. I have not a clue yet what all this will do to a persons body other than I can tell you things have been really bad.

I will keep you in my prayers and hope you can find some well needed answers.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Warm Gentle hugs comin g your way. Love Debbie