SO sad, another doctor bites the dust....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Sep 29, 2008.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

well, i had my long awaited appointment at a local pain clinic by my house, last Wednesday

the gist of the visit... the doctor agreed that i definately have FM.

basically he said their are 2 kinds of doctors, the kind that overload FM patients w/ pain meds, and the conservative doctor, who does not treat with pain meds, and uses other modes of treatment.

he said he fit in the latter group, the conservative doctor.

his treatment plan... go see a counselor and a psychiatrist, and do physical therapy.

i tried my best to explain the impact the pain and everything else has had on my quality of life, and how the pain medicine helped me accomplish more, than not having them. he wouldn't budge.

he said i was depressed.

i explained to him, that yes i get down sometimes because of the pain, but i am basically a happy person. that i think anyone who has had to deal with the pain and frustration w/ fm, would get down sometimes.

i explained that the reason why i was emotional at my appointment, was because of the treatment i've had from other doctors, and not being taking seriously when i speak of the pain, and desperately needing help.

nothing helped. the gist of what he was telling me was that i needed to see a counselor, and do physical therapy, and i would be alright.

he went on to say that pain medicine was addicting, and people on them just keep taking more and more. and the, "your young" line.

i then told him that i would be more than happy to try what he says, but was i supposed to just suffer in pain until these treatments worked? he basically said yes, but i'll give you a script for zanaflex (because it has lower addcition potential than the others). despite telling him i have tried that, and it did not help, he handed me a script for 10 days worth (!!), and said he'd see me again in 2 motnhs (!!)

i stopped tring to get him to help when i realized it wouldn't work.

oh, and while i was waiting for the script of zanaflex, and discharge papers, they sent a social worker in to talk to me about my miscarriage (last year), and how i need to grieve!

the sweet lady had the best of intentions, but it was just way off at the time.

the icing on the cake?

i was intereasted in getting trigger point injections, but did not cover that at my appt, so i called today to leave a message for him, asking if they could be a possibilty to help with my pain.

i got a call later this afternoon, from his nurse telling me what he said.

she said, "yes trigger point injection are helpful in FM patients, but he said you had several, several, several (yes she said several, several times) throughout your neck and back, and it would not be safe to do that many shots on you."

i don't understand, if you *know* that i have several painful trigger points throughout my back, on top of everything else i told you, why would you not want to help me with something i've told you improves my quality of life?

so sad.=(

luckily, my nurse practioner, who is a Godsend, and who has been helping me with pain medicine and muscle relaxers, won't cut me off (i pray).

she understands FM, and the trouble those of us who have it, have finding good quality care.

i think i'm going to call the customer care line, from the back of my medical card, and explain what is going on and what happened at the pain clinic. maybe they can suggest something.

and we'll see what my Nurse Practioner has to say on Wednesday.

sorry this is so long winded, i just needed to get it off my chest to people i know will understand me.

thanks for listening.<3

[This Message was Edited on 09/29/2008]
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I HATE pain clinics!

Never have been helped by them if anything have been harmed.

What you experienced is outrageous but unfornatuately exacttly what happened to me.

Ive gotten better from pa's and family practice!

Doc's are going backwards with pain meds again because of prescription abuse. Afraid its going to get worse and I have been left with no meds.

Best of luck and if you have a doc helping you hopefully they'll continue to do so.
    Nurse practioners rock too!
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

the bit about your miscarriage, there is your ace in the hole with a complaint. how dare someone psychoanalyze someone else they don't even know like that, ooooh its not cool.
    I have been through similar, its really hard for some of them to accept that sometimes the body just hurts and can't always be fixed with counseling and anti-ds.
    That said though, I would HATE to be a prescribing doctor for pain patients, there does seem like a lot of potential trouble there for good and bad patients, its a big responsibility. but then they give out statin drugs and antidepressants etc that probably kill and mess up more people than illegal drugs so who knows.....
    stay strong and proactive, good luck.
  4. lallerb

lallerb New Member

with the sexist comment. What gives them the right to counsel you on grieving, as if you haven't done that? It's the old "the pain is in your head" arguement. I hate that!

I had a similar experience with my PCP the other day. I'm still trying to get over it. Two months ago, before I had the FM diagnosis, she had NO problem prescribing my Oxycontin and Vicodin. This time she lectured me on addiction, noting that I have been put on all kinds of meds in between being covered by Kaiser, as if I really want to take all this stuff. She only gave me 90 tabs for two months. I ended up having to pay $70 instead of $35 because of that, and I can't afford it. I had to argue with her to get what I got.

I don't understand these doctors. They know we have pain, but they don't want to give us what we KNOW we need to manage it. In the past I've shared my addiction concerns with various doctors. They always told me it wasn't addiction if you were taking meds for real pain. Ok. That's what we do. I only take them when I can't stand the pain. I'm very careful, as I'm sure most of us are.

And what's with the trigger point injections? Why can't they do some of them now, and some of them later? I don't even believe that it's dangerous. I know I've had upwards of 15 injections in one visit without any problems at all. It's only a numbing agent.

Sorry for the rant on my own stuff. I'm right there with you, though. I hope you can find a better, more sympathetic doctor in the future.

5. quanked

quanked Member

need to grow some testicles/ovaries--whichever is the case!
  6. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

To hear of your experience. If I were you I'd phone up/ write to the hospital and make and official complaint about this guy. He is obviously not suitable to be in charge of treating FM/ CFS and deserves to face some consequences.

Are you going ot see him again? I'd definately talk to your insurance as you said, to try and get changed.

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

How disappointing for you. I know that disappointment w/pain clinics. We think we'll go some place that specializes in treating our pain and what do you get - a lecture and a coupon to get counseling.

I'd head right back to your NP and tell her that you just didn't jive with the pain clinic, can you continue to see her, will she agree to treat you. I did that. My PCP referred me to a pain clinic. I went once. Called them back after visiting my doc and telling her I didn't want to go back, and told the pain clinic to tear up my contract.

Some people have great success w/pain clinics. It's all about the individual doctors. I would have left your appt in tears. Do these dr's have any clue how hard it is to make it through the day? How long does "counseling" take to work? How long does PT take to work?

Get this - my pain clinic doc had Fibro and SHE hated pain meds.

Read Jenn's post this morning - it's uplifting.- the one titled something like I WILL NOT BE DEFINED BY THIS DD.

Keep fighting! Keep searching.

8. baanders

baanders New Member

This too shall pass.

I read this once in a great book :)

9. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

for taking the time to respond to my post.

i called the number on the back of insurance card, and as nice as they were, they didnt give me much to go on.

i was given 3 numbers to other pain clinics. one was disconnected, the one said they do not treat fibromyalgia, and the 3rd one was to the place i just went too.=)

i was thinking about maybe going back to the same clinic, but seeing another doctor.

i know a few people who have gone to this other doctor in the same clinic, and have had nothing but good things to say about him. they don't have FM, so we'll see...

do you guys think it would be a bad idea, beings i have records there of the visit with the other doctor?

or that possibly, since he's a different person, he may view things differently?

i'm anxious to go see my NP tomorrow morning to tell her what happened at my visit, and to see what she has to say.

thanks again, you all are the best.<3
  10. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

gosh i love her!

she said she would continue to treat me.

she said, maybe this doctor may be trying to "test" me, which i kind of agree with.

so the plan of action is to go through with the counseling and the physical therapy (which couldn't hurt anyway), and then keep up with my appts w/ him.

i don't mind going to a counselor. one, it couldn't hurt to share what's going on. they may be be able to help me cope better with dealing with some of these doctors.=) and two... it will be in my records that it's the illness, that causes some depression, not depression, causing the illness.

so, thank God for my NP. i really appreciate her, and the fact that she understands the trials and tribulations (and pain!) of FM. she said it sounds like i know more about FM than that doc.=)

thanks everyone for the support.<3