So Sad Today....Had to put my loving cat to sleep this morning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dd, Feb 14, 2003.

1. dd

dd New Member

This is so hard. I have been crying all morning. Columbo was like one of my sons to me. I held him the first minutes of his life and I was there with him at the end of his life. He was diagnosed with feline aids last May but in the last couple of days went down hill really fast. We did all we could do for him but nothing helped. My 3 boys are devasted also because he was a little brother to them. He was part of our family for 8 years and this is so hard.

I know that this is probably off topic of FM and CFS but I know a lot of you are animal lovers also and I could use some comforting words right now. Animals really are a blessing from God and Columbo was a real blessing to us all. He will missed tremendously.

God Bless,

Debbie
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

We have two sister black cats, and they replaced our dog after we had to have him put down in June 01. It`s heartbraking and a horrible experience to go through, specially when thay have a loving personality.
    It must be worse as you saw Columbo into this world and then to also see him out, is unbearable.

Columbo couldn`t have had a better or more loving home. So why not give the same love for another?

Thinking of you

Lots of love

Pat. (England)
  3. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

My animals are my main support system and stay right at my side. I just don't have any words to help but please know I care. I have a dog and cat, both 14 and a new dog, 2.

I tried going without a new dog after another one had to be put to sleep recently but they are my little friends since I'm not able to leave house most of time.

God bless you.

Pam
  4. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

I understand I lost one of my cats last year and my bunny too. It's hard because they bring you so much joy. I love all my animals and it's hard when you loose one.

Your kitty is at peace now with no pain. Let that fill your heart with comfort.

Soft hugs
    Laura
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Please try to take very good care of yourself during this time of grieving. Losing a loved one is one of the most stressful things we go through and stress is so hard on us. You are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  6. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Debbie~~I am so sorry to hear about your Columbo passing away. I lost my 14 year old cat "Tyler" to liver disease a couple of months ago, and I still miss his beautiful face and loving ways. I have 5 other cats who grew up with Tyler, and they searched & searched for him after he died--especially his best cat-buddy Sammy Jo....and that broke my heart even more.

It IS losing a family member. Sometimes I still forget and put out '6' cat plates for meals instead of 5. And it brings the tears and grief all back again.

Where else can you get such unconditional and consistent love, affection, and loyalty. They are such a comfort and always seem to just "know" how we are feeling and what we need. And they give it.

May God comfort you and your family in this time of loss. It is wonderful to know that Columbo had such a good home and people who loved him so much. My heart goes out to you, and I will keep you in my prayers tonite. Carol...
  7. nldelaine

nldelaine New Member

So sorry to hear about you beloved Columbo.

I have six babies and I love every one of them. Five are adopted.

Again my deepest sympathy

Elaine
  8. dd

dd New Member

for all your kind words and support. It really means a lot to me.

My 2 other beloved family members, a 3 year old tabby named Tasha who I adopted from an animal refuge center and our 7 year old Lab named Thor, have spent the day searching for their "brother". I felt so bad for them that I went out and bought them some special treats for Valentine's Day.

God bless you all and God bless your beloved furry family members.

Love,

Debbie
  9. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I have 2 cats that are 13yrs old. I do not know what I would do if I lost them. A while back my sister lost her dog to cancer. While looking online for some way to bring her comfort I found online pet memorials- I cannot find the beautiful site that I sent her to but there is a web ring if you search for 'pet death star' you will find many sites that allow you to create a memorial for your pet. I hope this helps you get thru your grief.
    ***Pixie***
  10. ozgran

ozgran New Member

You may have seen that just this last week I thought I was going to have to have my little dog put down. My husband wants to see if the meds will help her first. Am not sure that is happening yet or that there is great improvement, but I won't let her suffer. It is so hard as pets are like family aren't they? I can really feel for you. Love and hugs. Ozgran.
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My two cats mean everything to me, so I feel your loss personally, and what it means to your children. I'm so sorry for you all, I know you will miss Columbo very much. I think it was a brave and compassionate decision for your family to make to have him put to sleep when it became obvious he doing so poorly; it's a decision no one ever wants to make, but sometimes it's the right choice.

I will be praying for your whole family, and hoping you get through this without exascerbating your illness. Try to take care of yourself as best you can, and again, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet.

Healing hugs,
    Pam
  12. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I am soooo sorry, for you and your family. We have 2 daschunds and I dont know what I would do if anthing ever happened to them. They are the biggest joy to my husband and I. Prayers going up to you and your family. Soft hugs, Linda
  13. Chrissy2

Chrissy2 New Member

Debbie,I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. We are animal lovers, too. Our dogs are part of the family, and are gifts from God. You will be in my prayers.

Love,
    Chrissy
  14. allhart

allhart New Member

oh sweety,
    im so sorry you poor thing,
    i had to put my 9 year to sleep in sept i still havent gotten over it his liver gave out without any warning,he was the one who would always stay right by me when i was to sick to get out of bed,
    i will say a prayer,im so sorry your family must go threw this loss
  15. hideycat

hideycat New Member

I am so sorry you had to put your pet down. That is one of life's hardest chores. And the hurt that comes with it.

I still have a picture of my beloved kitty on the tv - she had to be put down several years ago. Sometimes I still hold it and talk to her.

I thought I never want another cat. But with in a few months I had to have another. Their love fills such a void. The new cat didn't take the place of Kitty - she made her own place in my heart.

Goodby Columbo - you will be deeply missed.
  16. missvickielynn

missvickielynn New Member

Debbie,

I am so sorry this has happened to you! It is such a "touchy" subject for me, that I started to cry as soon as I saw the title of you post, before I even clicked on it to read it.

I have lost 3 pets in my life. The first was my dog Panther (?!), who was my best friend for 8 years when I was a child. My parents divorced when I was 12, and I stayed with my Dad. When he remarried 2 years later, and we were about to move into a new home, my stepmother had told my Dad that she would not have an animal in "her" house. Nobody discussed it with me.......I just came home from school one day, about a week before we moved, and Panther was gone. I still struggle with trying to forgive my Dad and Stepmother about the whole thing, especially that I was not even allowed to voice an opinion or play a part in finding him a new home.

The second one was a cat named Crisco. He was found in a dumpster in a Crisco can, and taken to the shelter. I had him for only 3 years, but I loved him so much. I lost him when I divorced the person I was married to at the time.....long story.

The third was a cat named Ester. I got her right after I had moved to Tulsa (Broken Arrow, actually) from Texas. I moved there at the first of November that year, and I could not afford the $100 for the pet deposit......but 2 days before Christmas, I got an anonymous letter in the mail, postmarked Tulsa, return address "S. Claus, Tulsa, OK". It was one of those money gift envelopes where the face of the bill shows through a hole. It was a $100 bill. I had her for a year before we added Crisco to the family. While I did not get to keep Crisco, I did keep Ester, and she came with me back to Texas when I divorced and left Oklahoma.

I had Ester for 13 years, and she died from liver failure, secondary to mammary cancer. She is buried outside my bedroom window. I still have her picture on my wall in my bedroom, and many, many other pics of her in an album I devoted to her after she died. I STILL miss her so much.

Now, I have.....are you ready? 5 cats, and one Dog! All of my animals are rescues. Three of the cats are siblings who were born under my storage building in April 2001. I bottle fed them, and originally intended to find homes for them.....but I became too attached, and also didn't want them to be separated.

My Fur Kids are the light of my life, and they give me a reason to get up every day. Because of my illness, and the loss of my job, and being nearly destitute while I am going through the SSDI process.......I live in constant fear that I could reach a point of not having the money to feed and care for them. I am sure I don't have to tell you what that would do to me to have to give them up. I would rather starve myself than lose them. As I am typing this, my sweet George (solid white, blue eyes, and hearing!) is sitting across my keyboard and arms. Hard to explain the configuration of my computer arrangement....but anyway...it is really hard to type with a cat laying across your arms! But that is OK! I let him stay, and just put up with it, and he puts up with the motion of my arms as I type, purrs his head off, and reaches up his paw and touches my chin!

I am sorry to go on so......I just wanted to share my deep sympathy for your loss of Columbo, and thought it might be more meaningful if I would share some of my "pet stories" with you.

God has another needy Cat picked our and waiting for you, when you are ready! And Columbo will be with you in spirit! I know that is not much consolation at the moment, but giving your love, and receiving the unconditional love of a new cat, will help to ease the pain, and channel the emotions of grief into love for another creature!

Who knows, if you wait a few weeks and then find a kitten that was born after you lost Columbo, maybe you will have his spirit back in the body of a new cat!

You, and your Kitty, and your other pets, are in my prayers!

God Bless!

Vickie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2003]
  17. gg60

gg60 New Member

Debbie, I'm new to the board, butI d understand what you mean about your cat. My cat has been with me for 7years, and he is like a child to me. When I feel so bad and have to stay in bed all day he is right there with me, and being by myself that means a lot to me. Gode Bless you and your family.