So Sensitive It's Scary

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littleleafhopper, Aug 17, 2006.

1. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Hi,

I just wanted to check and see if many of you guys are extremely sensitive to meds and supplements.

I'm always afraid to try new things because it's like Russian Roulette. I never know what I'll react to no matter how benign a substance it could be. How can you get better if you don't move forward?

Have any of you been able to get around this problem. It causes me huge set backs. When I start a new supplement program or worse, some kind of drug I feel like I'm walking through a mine field! This disease is tough enough without having fear, but I just never know.

Has anyone been able to conquer a similar problem? If so how? Any suggests? Thanks loads...Please Post.......
  2. Empower

Empower New Member

I am the same way - never used to be

When I was working and if I woke up with a headache, I would take 2 Excedrin and go to work

Now, I can only take 1/2 Excedrin

I also have problems with Antibiotics - I get soooooooo sleepy and nauseous and dizzy

AND, the antidepressants are really hard on me.

Had to take prednisone this summer for Poison Ivy and boy did I have a tough time with that - had to stop it
  3. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

Empower,

Thanks for the post. It's nice to know that there are others with shared experiences!
  4. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

and it is scary. I also use to be able to take anything but now I have problems with prescription meds and supplements. On some meds I take the minimum dose available and others I just can not take at all.

5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

littleleafhopper:

I used to be like that, but now I will take anything I am given by the doctor.

If I do not like it I set an appointment and go back.

That is how I started with my rheumy (FM doc). Although we did not hit it off at first and I got up to walk out on him---he got me to sit down and we got down to business.

Sure, I should not just take the meds without asking, but these days I will give anything a shot.

One bad day and I give up the med.

Trial and error. Live and learn.

hugs,
    nyrofan
  6. hohohahaha

hohohahaha New Member

yes, it is scary.

I am so sensitive to drugs and I can get very depressed. I've tried approx. 7 anti-dep's and the doc is just trying me on anti-seizure lamotrigine.

First dose today and throughout one day I have felt the following:
    Blurred vision
    Stuffed head
    Euphoria (15-30min, that was nice)
    Extreme fatigue (1 hour)
    Neck stiffness
    Creeping stiffness through the day
    Now I'm stiff overall
    Can't relax muscles...
    That's one day, one drug

I've tried all pain killers, muscle relaxants, anti-depressants, the only thing I can sort of tolerate are the anti-inflamatory... but they don't help much.

How have I dealt with it over the last nine years?

1 drug at a time
    Balancing each drug with
    - what it is supposed to cure?
    - are the side-effects worse than what it is supposed to cure?

I get very discouraged, then I get depressed again, then I try nothing and drive everyone around me crazy with my pain (emotional and physical).

Sometimes I think I react to the drugs so badly because my body's trying to tell me something. So after I've suffered long enough (sometimes I learn something about myself, sometimes not) or when I can't take it anymore, I try another med.

It's a crazy, whirlwind of a game, back and forth...