So sick of hearing about nutrition! How can it be the answer??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by an1000, Mar 4, 2009.

1. an1000

an1000 New Member

Again I've heard about the magical curing properties of a whole foods diet, void of any sugar, yeast, caffeine, processed food, wheat gluten, and on and on. How can this be the cure or the cause of our disease?!! A human being should be able to tolerate exercise, REGARDLESS of diet. That doesn't mean you'll get optimal results but you should be able to exercise no matter what. Why do we let the alternative medical community scare us about food? The human body is designed to be able to ingest TONS of toxins. Go to a third world country. The people there don't even have enough food, let the alone the right food, and they do not have CFS. People are alcoholics and cokeheads and they do not have CFS. Do not let nutritionists scare you into thinking bread is the cause of all your problems. At least that's how I feel in this moment.

I've fiddled with my diet so many times and sure it helps a little. Who wouldn't feel a little better from eating right, regardless of your current level of health? But when I eat near perfect versus when I eat terrible, the difference in my CFS is so negligible. It's a joke frankly.

When I eat bad, I have as many as 4 sodas a day (not diet), doughnuts, cookies, lots of sausage and red meat, and fast food. When I eat well, it's almost the exact opposite- no caffeine, no processed sugar, lots of apples, oatmeal, raw veggies, sushi, and only water to drink. Certainly, there are small benefits- clearer skin, little less brain fog, fall asleep easier. But I wouldn't say it even puts a dent in my CFS. So why go through all the trouble? Why not just enjoy food? I am not overweight, and do not gain weight from bad food (one of the blessings in my life).

You would never tell someone to take supplements or improve their diet for other diseases. We wouldn't tell a schizophrenic to avoid bagels, or someone with MS they should eliminate wheat gluten from their diet and "see what happens," then eliminate soy and go from there. Sorry, obviously I'm just frustrated, and feel trapped.
  2. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

OMG finally someone who speaks my language! I'm tired of friends and family telling me that DIET is the answer. Quit eating this, quit drinking that, etc. A friend of mine right now is severely ill with bronchitis and I am not. She is an extremely healthy eater - I am not. GO FIGURE!!

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I understand your frustration, but for many of us food does make a difference...for some of us it makes a huge difference.... if you read how nutrition (the vitamins, minerals,etc ) affects the immune system, inflammation, neurological functioning, energy production, basically all the body's processes, and if you understand how toxins affect our bodies (and how PWC have trouble with the process of getting rid of those toxins)(read about the methylation cycle, for instance)(read about the mitochondria)(read about leaky gut), etc would see that proper nutrition can be very, it doesn't necessarily fix everything, but it does definitely make a difference....and even if you personally don't feel the difference rt away, you don't know the long term effects eating poorly may wind up having on your body

and you are completely wrong about nutrition and supplements regarding other has been standard practice for people with heart problems,high blood pressure, reflux, ulcers, diabetes, etc to be told to make dietary changes, and it is becoming more and more common for people with other diseases to be given the same advice....and more Drs are starting to see the benefits of supplements, as well...even for things like cancer and MS
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Actually, this happens a lot more than most people realize ... I was shocked when I figured this out 15 years after getting sick with CFS/ME/FM.

Speaking of MS, here's a link to a book written by 2 women who healed themselves of MS by eliminating foods like gluten, dairy, yeast, etc ... I'm not sure if they did anything else though. Typically if someone has this many food intolerances, they have leaky gut and have to heal that too ...

"Their book explains that there are five common trigger foods that can set off the symptoms of MS--dairy, grains containing gluten, legumes, eggs and yeast. Yet because MS is such a complex disease, other foods may also be the culprits. The MS Recovery Diet explains the background, science and development of this diet in one source for the first time, and shows readers how to pinpoint their specific problem foods and sensitivities. It also offers more than 100 simple recipes and strategies to improve digestion, balance the immune system, and repair the body’s myelin--crucial steps toward healing."

The type of medicine that looks for the root cause of illness is called functional or integrative medicine. You can google this and your state, county, etc. to find one in your area. A DAN doctor can help with this too ...

I've made remarkable improvements just by eliminating certain foods, but I'm still struggling with orthostatic intloerance, PEM and fatigue. But, I'm calmer, my brain fog is minimal, my ataxia is gone, and my myoclonus and insomnia only happen if I accidently eaten gluten. The improvements definitely make the diet worthwhile ...

HTH .. Marcia
  5. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

I know how you feel but there is a great deal of research that indicates there may be a glitch in how some people assimilate vitamins that causes some issues. Do research on pyrroluria. I found it interesting. As for schizophrenics, there has been great progress in using B vitamins; MS patients may have a shortage of vitamin D. I realize it sounds stupid but don't discount it entirely.
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

I was shocked when I learned how important food is to how our bodies function. I didn't learn this until I was 50 years old ... I still can't believe I didn't pick this up somewhere ...

I didn't learn this until my digestion had gotten so bad I couldn't eat anything without it hurting .. and I'd lost 10 lbs in 1 month ... I'm thin so I was looking pretty bad ...

My GP put me on the elimination diet and gave me literature from the LEAP program .. this program is commonly used by doctors to help diagnose food intolerances. The literature she gave me had pages for me to fill out on how I was progressing. Included on that page of symptoms were nuero, skin, mouth, digestion, etc ... I was shocked when my narcolepsy was gone after a week ... and it just got better after that ...

Most of the progress I've made has been with my nuero symptoms and I'm not sure how many diagnosed with CFS have nuero symptoms nowadays.

We see people all the time who talk about healing from CFS and FM on the GF boards so it does happen. Some will heal just by giving up gluten .. some will need to give up dairy or soy or eggs, etc etc ... and some will need to treat for candida ... I'm sure it depends on how sick one is to begin with as to how well or how quickly they will heal ...

HTH ... Marcia

BTW, I have elevated viral titers for 4 viruses but so far most of symptoms are from food not these viruses ... [This Message was Edited on 03/04/2009]
  7. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi an1000,

Someone on this board once observed that about half of us are very affected by food, and half of us aren't. I think that may be true of people in general, not just people with CFS.

I know a perfectly healthy person who carefully monitors what she eats. Her entire day can be ruined if she eats a candy bar. I'm not that way, personally. But I think the two groups need to have tolerance for each other and understand that we are not all the same.

8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

>>>You would never tell someone to take supplements or improve their diet for other diseases.<<<

Yes we would, and we do it all the time. People with high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, syndrome X, high cholesterol, etc. are told all the time to improve their diets and take supplements.

Maybe it was a poor diet in the first place that led to us being susceptible to getting CFS in the first place. For some of us it could quite well be true.

How we treat our bodies when we are younger (teens through forties), will greatly influence our health once we get into our fifties and beyond.
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Diet is not the answer for our disease but......

The American diet is filled with chemically processed foods that the human body was never meant to consume. Those chemicals do effect our bodies and our health.

I'm 47 and there were no junk foods when I was a little kid. We ate fruit, Mom cooked all of our meals and I still remember getting our first McDonalds in town.

Going back to eating 'real' foods will help your body. Rice Crispies are not food, cheese shouldn't ever be powdered.

Check your grocery cart...mine used to be filled with frozen meals, processed food boxes and cereal. Very little space for veggies and fruits.

Now it's the opposite....filled with fruits and veggies and very little processed foods. I cook my own meals (Rachel Ray taught me how quickly I can do this) and I control the ingredients.

Try it, your body deserves it.

10. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Changing the diet is not the cure all. But it can help certain symptoms. When I eat nitrates, I'm much worse. If I eat sulfates, I get horrible ocular migraine headaches. Aspartame irritates my bladder and I can't sleep from it. There really are very bad additives in food that can make you worse.

However, I believe we should grab any enjoyment we can get and if I want a piece of cake or pizza or hamburgers or chocolate, no one is stopping me. I have had to give up coffee and avoid the chocolate because of the heartburn and the caffeine makes me sick, but I will still have alittle chocolate once in awhile or some decaf.

This disease takes away too much from our lives, and if you want to have any enjoyment at all, there is no reason to avoid a favorite food, just as long as you know it will probably bug you later on. But I say, go for it and don't worry about it because it's not the answer.
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I always think of that lady who made the news because she said she cured her CFS by eating chocolate every day. We're all different, that's for sure.

12. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

While a good diet *is* helpful to your health (whether you have CFS or not), I think I understand An1000's frustration. Maybe I misunderstood her post, but it sounds like frustration at people going on and on about how this diet or that diet can cure you or massively improve you, so that if you "only ate the right things, you'd be cured".

I go through that as well. My mom has always, always told me about the importance of nutrition, since I was little! I got sick of hearing about it, but I know she's right. But while I think she is right, there are other issues to consider. Sometimes I get so nauseated that it is difficult for me to eat *any* food, much less think about the healthiest food. At that moment, if some crackers sound good, I eat them. Yes, it's refined flour, yes it has zero vitamins. But, sometimes I am thankful to have an appetite, period.

Also, there is a difference between allowing yourself an occasional indulgence because it is good for your soul, your joy (note: I'm not talking about using food as a substitute for happiness). This disease takes so much from us. Half the time I'll too depressed or tired to eat. So yes, if some dark chocolate will make me a little happier, even for a moment, I won't deny myself that. I think that diet is important, but if we over-monitor everything, we are going to have nothing left. Also, over-monitoring (at least for me) causes a lot of stress. I can't be hypervigilant 24/7 about everything I eat, or about whether the walk up and down the stairs to check the mail was too much exercise, etc. Sometimes I have to let got a little, for the sake of my sanity. Even one of my doctors told me that.

That's just my 2 cents.
  13. hensue

hensue New Member

Granted i do drink diet cokes, hello i have no life no cigarettes quit 30 years ago no booz messes with meds. no sex AD took care of that and sugar hurts. So I am addicted to at least one or two diet cokes a day.
    Dear God I am with you! I hate hearing this all the time but I just went and bought milk yuk. My Rheumy says drink at least a glass a day.
    Ok and take my vitamins.

I will say this when I got fibromyalgia i was more or less starving myself to stay in a size 4 to 6 I am not saying that caused it. I just think it was a contributing factor. So I do try to eat better and I am not starving my self anymore. I am up to a size 12 have always been a size 8 or 10.
    My husband says he will have to get use to it! I said yes just like I got use to your bald head!!! hehe

I myself am sick of it also but I am sure even in the foods we eat there are no minerals and vitamins like there use to be.
    Just my thought
  14. While I do think a junk food diet would not be good for you. If eating healthy was a cure all We would all be cured.

I imagine at least 3/4 s of the population would have cfs/fibro. if diet was the cause of this dd wouldn't it?
  15. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I think it is part of it but definetly not the main cause. Sure anyone who avoids all that stuff is going to feel a little better but not totally. Just like exercise, it will help but not cure this DD. Just like Teekay said, everyone is different and everyone will react differently.

16. waltz

waltz New Member

Diet does affect schizophrenia and other diseases.

Diet, diabetes and schizophrenia: review and hypothesis