SO STUPID--i just caused horrendous crash- A CAUTIONARY TALE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sascha, Mar 5, 2010.

1. sascha

sascha Member

this shouldn't have happened.

two weeks ago i was over with my little grandchildren. i put on a CD of rock music, picked up my granddaughter and danced all around (she's 23 pounds). then i got another track going and danced all around with my grandson (30 pounds). it was such a good time- they were laughing away, really into it. i was loving it. totally forgot any notion of being ill, of pacing myself. i just went for it.

i knew it was way too much. my heart was hammering. i went and napped with my grandson, then not so long after, went home where i commenced the worst crash of my ten-year bout with cfids.

Dr. Montoya has warned me many times not to overdo. i get so frustrated and angry with always being unwell; with having to monitor all i do; with the anxiety of never knowing when i suddenly can't do what i was heading to do, i just went for the happiness, joy, freedom of just doing what i wanted for as long as i wanted.

then the crash. freezing cold all over; couldn't get warm. wearing hat and many layers to bed. still freezing cold. then hugest congestion i ever experienced swamped me. hacking and wheezing commenced. aching (of course) all over. down in the pits. hard breathing. just feeling sick. totally out of commission mind, body, and soul.

my son took me to emergency room a week later, where we spent the day. many tests. i thought i might have walking pneumonia. tests negative for that. doctor said it's viral inflammation causing asthma. i had a number of breathing treatments, IV for a while, got inhaler with two prescriptions, had prednisone given in the hospital, and went home.

so two weeks after the incideent still just about non-functional. and I KNOWINGLY DID THIS TO MYSELF. i am afraid i've done permanent damage. i've never had asthma before. this is scary.

i don't know when/if i'm going to pull out of it. i had 15 minutes when i felt better yesterday, then again was overwhelmed with symptoms and down and out the rest of the day.

it's embarrassing to write this. maybe someone will read it and make a wiser choice when faced with temptation. isn't that pitiful- i wanted the fun so much that i forgot the risk. and i am paying the price.

i hope you all do better- best, Sascha
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am so sorry you are not feeling well. Don't beat yourself up, you are only human. I know what it is like to have grandchildren around and it is just about impossible not to pick up, their enthusiasm.

Are you still on asthma medications or was that only in the hospital? Rest, rest and more rest.

3. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i'm sorry you are suffering.
  4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, sascha.

I, too, am very sorry this happened to you. I can understand how you just want to break out of this disorder and go for it, but then there is the price to pay.

I don't know whether you have considered looking into whether you have a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion, and treating for them if you do have them. I believe that the crashes in CFS are caused by these issues, and when a person overdoes activity, their glutathione level goes even lower, which can then take a long time to recover.

I just posted about this on another thread about post exertional malaise. I would suggest that you take a look at the information I posted there.

I wish you the best.

5. sascha

sascha Member

Gapsych- i am doing inhaler treatments still, and have follow-up appointment with my very fine primary care physician on Monday. i am, finally, coming out of the deep dark place i've been in for two weeks. now to protect my investment...

Sweetbeat- thanks for your words. i am better! as of yesterday, i'm definitely doing better. really was scared i'd stay down in that completely non-functioning and sick state. what a relief. now to not get carried away like that again.

to the illustrious Richvank- thanks- i will check out previous post w/inf on post-extertional malaise. i've read your informative posts in the past with great interest.

thanks all- i intend to have learned my lesson- the aftermath is just awful if i don't live within reasonable parameters. best to all- Sascha
  6. spacee

spacee Member

So glad you are better. I missed your post. I usually hang out on the chitchat board.

Bless you heart. Thanks for posting to try to keep someone else from going through it.

Sounds like you are coming out of it. But will give you my 2 cents of knowledge after
    having 2 sons with asthma. One very serious. The nebulizer machine is worth it's
    weight in gold. Hope you never need it though...