So very sad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by clementyne, May 22, 2012.

1. clementyne

clementyne New Member

My heart is breaking right now & this is the one place I can go & know I can say how I feel & be heard.

Today, I had to take my younger sister to the Dr. - it is a very long story & I won't bore you with the details - because her husband could not get off work. Well, she was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's. I am not shocked - I did see it coming but I guess I was hoping that the Dr. would say "Oh, no! She just needs to (fill in the blank) & she will be fine in no time".

She doesn't know, yet - although, of course, she suspects. I had to call her husband & tell him & then my brother. Our mother also has EOA but she is in her 70's & my sister is in her early 50's. I haven't told our parents, yet because my brother in law asked me not to.

Her Dr. also told me that because my mom & sister have this DD that my siblings & I are @ a higher risk of having it as well. Right now, I am not too worried about that but I am looking down the road where my sister no longer stands. We have always been very close - our childhood was often brutal & it was the two of us against the world.

She is progressing rapidly. I see changes in her, sometimes daily.

Please pray for my family as we all struggle to know how to care for both my mom & sister. We have many decision's ahead & we have not yet begun to grieve.

Thanks for letting me share this.

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will pray for your sister, you and your family.

Have you read that article about the Dr who reversed her husband's Alzheimer's Disease by feeding him Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil everyday?

If you Google: "dr mary newport what if there was a cure for alzheimer's",

you will see that the first result is a pdf document that tells about this Dr's case study.

It's very interesting. I believe she used just over 2 Tablespoons twice daily, of Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
  3. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I'm so sorry for your family. Alzheimers seems to be an epidemic and we have to do everything we can to stave it off. I had an aunt and an uncle who died from it. Another aunt is in a nursing home because of it.

I believe you can find the video about Dr. Newport on Utube. I started taking the coconut oil a couple of months ago because of an MRI taken. I first heat up some water in the microwave then put in a small glass that contains the coconut oil It melts in about l5 min. I take 2 spoonfuls and it goes down really easy. Do not melt the coconut oil directly in the microwave. I keep the small glass filled with the coconut oil.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2012]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm really sorry to hear this - I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

I strongly urge you to look into the uses of turmeric for help with Alzheimer's. There's a ton of research out there. Here's one article published the NIH from the Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology.

Acetyl-l-carnitine has also been shown to slow the progression of Alzheimer's. Acetyl-l-carnitine crosses the blood-brain barrier, unlike l-carnitine, which does not. Here's a PubMed article:

Take care -

5. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I am so sorry to know that you have Alzheimer's in your family and you suffer with a chronic illness as well. I have often wondered if I will end up having dementia or Alzheimer's. The fibro fog and terrible forgetfulness is sometimes terrifying. I have been in so much pain at times that my mind will not be able to connect to what I am doing or even where I am at. I have had to stop driving my car to regroup and then realize that I am at a location that I am very familiar with.

I am starting the Paleo diet which strongly encourages the coconut oil and water for all it's healthy nutrition. Thanks to all who reminded us of the wonderful nutrition tips for Alzheimer's.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2012]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For all of you. Some of the new Alzheimer's drugs seem to stop it in its tracks so that people don't get worse. My Mom's best friend is actually doing better than she was. Good luck to you all.

Love, Mikie
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I am so sorry to hear of your sad story. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about EOA but in reading some of the other responses, sounds like you got some good information.

God Bless You and Your Family! Praying for you clementyne!
  8. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister.

If you Google the Alzheimers Aid Society of Northern California, you can read about the founder's experience with EOA in her family. There are also many resources about treatment for patients and info. for family members.

Yes, God bless you and your family.

9. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I so appreciate you thoughts, kind words & suggestions. I plan on doing some research so I will be better informed. And I am definitely going to try the coconut oil - even if it doesn't work, it won't hurt her in any way so there's no reason not to try it. I wonder if any one knows if it could help my mom, who was diagnosed 9 yrs. ago?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/24/2012]
  10. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Reading the study where the Dr reversed her husband's Alzheimer's may give you alot of hope.

We all need hope.

Probably know one can say for sure if it will help your Mom, but wouldn't that be a miracle if it did?

11. 3gs

3gs New Member

Iam so sorry to hear this about your sister. My stepdad was diagnosed 3yrs ago(altho we knew before then). It runs in his family very strongly and recently another member was told they had it.

Right now he is living at the VA after attacking my mom at home. She had heard about the coconut oil and bought the book. It has to be started right at the begining 3T a day by mouth.

It can not reverse Aliz. but may slow it down. The person who has had this for 9yrs depending what stage they are in is not likely to be helped. It varies from person to person. My stepdad is going quickly.

This is a hard disease to go thru and has stressed out our family to the max. I pray for your family.

There are great vids on youtube and I urge you to get into a support group.
  12. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hugs,

13. clementyne

clementyne New Member

Where do you get your GSE? I've done some research & I feel it is worth a shot, although I will have to talk to her Dr. 1st because she has some of the things they warned about.

I know there are a million different brands & I want to get it from a reliable source.
  14. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

So sorry for the heartache you are feeling, and the fears that come along with such a diagnosis.
  15. liz56

liz56 Member

Bless your heart, such a terrible Dix to be given, to watch them slowly move away from us gram had this but she was 82...she had to be watched at night especially because she would go for walks out in the road late nights...scary!!
    But there is so much new info on this and meds that weren't available to gram back then. Prayers for you all & ((Hugs))