So, what would you do......?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MusicTeacher, Nov 7, 2005.

1. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher New Member

Hi folks from across the sea, it's Music Teacher here from the UK.

Just interested to know what you'd do in the situation I now find myself in. The scenario is as follows:

My pain consultant wanted me to try acupuncture with a trained Traditional Chinese Medicine expert. So, I go along to her (she's very kind) and she starts the treatment which currently makes me feel awful, rather than better. So, she decides I must take chinese medicines to reinforce what she's doing in the hopes I'll soon feel better.

In the past I have had Stephen-Johnson's Syndrome (SJS) caused by a terrible reaction to prescribed medication so I have to be very careful in what I take. However, chinese doctor seems to understand my problem and says her medicines will be fine.

Today, I've had my regular review with my own doctor (not the consultant) who says I absolutely must NOT take the chinese medicines as we haven't got the foggiest idea what's in them and they could do me a great deal of harm.

So, now I've got to decide which doctor I go with.....

What would you do?

Look forward to hearing your views.

Love and (gentle) hugs to all

Music

2. cats3

cats3 New Member

I would ask the chinese doctor what meds she plans on giving you.
    Get the names of the meds and go check them out on the internet. If you can't find any information on the meds I would not take them.

If the acupuncture makes you feel worse I would stop the treatment.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Does your Traditional Chinese Doctor know what Stephen-Johnson's Syndrome is? If so, I think she would be the best one to tell you whether or not the chinese medicines were safe for you. If not, it would probably be best to go with your Western Doctor's 'better safe than sorry' approach.
  4. MusicTeacher

MusicTeacher New Member

to you all for your replies so far.

Today I told the chinese doctor that I don't think I can take her medication. She wasn't too pleased!

Yesterday another doctor was cross with me - my own doctor is on sabbatical this quarter so I'm really lost without her.

Sometimes do you ever feel you just can't win with the medical profession?

I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

Love to all
    Music (UK)