SOB with Fibro - Help Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Does anyone get shortness of breath when your diaphram or chest bones hurt. It's like I can just sit in a chair quiet and feel like I'm somewhat not getting enough air in. I do have reactive airway disease (upper bronchitis) and this summer has been rough, but my peak flow and pulmonary function test have been good, yet my bronchial airways are tight. That is why I thought the fibro comes into play. Somedays my breast tissue and chest wall burn and hurts so bad. This must have something to do with breathing???

Anyone else with this problem or people with asthma/bronchitis? Do you have this as a chronic symptom?
  2. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

This is one of my biggest complaints. The SOB comes and goes, but the chest/rib/collar bone pain through to my back is always present. I have had x-rays, MRI's and breathing treatments...they all come back negative. I went to the doc 3 times in 2 weeks b/c I was hurting so bad....they just gave me a shot of antibiotics and sent me on my way. They also told me that I was depressed and that could have something to do with it. I stopped going there and found my pain doc. They are just now starting with all my tests to rule out other things beyond the FM. My breast tissue and chest also burn and are very sensative to touch and cool air, along with the rest of my body. Have not had any problems with asthma or bronchitis though. I wish you luck...and I'll keep you in mind after we get done with all my tests to let you know of anything new that I learn.
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Yes, this sounds like me exactly. The asthma/bronchitis thing can explain the cough I get when I get into a smell (I'm very chemically sensitive) but even the breathing treatments they gave me made no difference (just like you). The days I feel the most pain in the chest/collar bone/ribs are the days when I feel SOB sitting and when walking around.

My GYN says I don't have cysts in my breast like fibrocystic breast, but the dense tissue causes like a myofascial pain in the tissues. I'm trying to find my triggers - I know chocolate is one of them. Sometimes the breast swell and the pain starts. I'm not a caffeine person, so that is not the cause for me.

I'm still trying to figure this out with many doctors including a pulminologist, cardiologist (I have mitral valve syndrome) and a rheumatologist. Please let's stay in touch about this disorder. Oh. and by the way doctors tell me to take tranquilizers because they say this SOB is anxiety related. They have no clue!
  4. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...but I think I know of at least 2 reasons for it.

The first is heat intolerance. I don't sweat like I used to - in fact my arms and legs don't sweat at all, and I sweat very little above shoulder level. Feeling short of breath can be a symptom of being overheated.

The other reason is choking! My esophagus spasms, probably because of fibro (but I don't know that for sure). Those spasms cause me to choke - on ANYTHING - even including my own saliva. ...And of course, choking can make you short of breath.

5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Shortness of breath can be a symptom of Babesia infection.

FM can be a symptom of a chronic Borellia burgdorferi infection.

They are often found together.

Here is some info:

Symptom list p 9-11...and babesia symptom info pages 22, 23, 24, 26, 27...
  6. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I just went through a Lyme titer testing and it was negative. Living in south Florida and not traveling outside the state, the doctor couldn't understand why I wanted the test. Anyway is the Babesia infection a part of Lyme disease?
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Babesia is a common coinfection found in lyme patients....ticks carry many infections.

A lyme titer (ELISA)is worthless....see page 7 of this paper....

You should get a western blot through Igenex lab in CA....test #188 and #189.

Lyme is in every state, even FL. Your Dr, like most, knows nothing about Lyme.

8. Wireless

Wireless New Member

I have multiple things going on. First, environmental allergies. So they vary depending on the time of day, whether it rained, if I am in a room that had cleaning chemicals used, if there is any mold (often it's there even if you can't see it?) or dust mites (they are almost always in any kind of fabric or paper), etc. Then food allergies, so it varies depending on what I ate, but I get this from almost every meal or snack. The allergy meds don't fix it but they help keep it to a managable level usually. Then, the pain that doctors would call "costchondritis" but mine is not just in between the ribs, it's other parts. I have been working on this pain for a long time now and it's improving, so that confirms to me that it's fascia and stuff. That is only one part. It also varies depending on temperature, I should not be in air that is too hot or cold, and the humidity can bother me too. I'm wondering if yours have to do with weather or pollen too. Some people notice a great overall improvement if they go to a different state with a different climate. Then a menstrual cycle can play a part because of different hormones being released or not released, making us feel differently. Then if I am stressed or have certain allergies then my throat feels tighter because of swelling in glands I suppose. Then some positions can make a difference. There is more too I'm sure.
  9. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Your post is so much like me - it's unbelievable. The only difference is that I'm post-menopausal so hormones don't come into play. I have horrible multiple chemical sensitivities that start the reactive airway problem to begin with, yet it takes so long to go away even when on the asthma meds.

I do have dust mite allergies, ragweed, and who knows what else. I just had blood drawn the other day to find out other possible allergens to my region in Florida. I also tested my air conditioning system with a kit from ProLabs for mold- and yes mold did grow in the petri dish. I sent it out for analysis to see which kind. Of course, my allergist doesn't believe the test and said it could be a scam. She says there is mold everywhere here in the south and that I shouldn't dwell on the matter. It's strange because we just changed out our systems for new central AC units less than two years ago.

I also have the continuing costochondritis that not only affects my sternum and ribs, but also the breast tissue - everything burns and swells and I think this has a lot to do with the SOB. And last by not least, my nose has been stuffy the entire summer - this doesn't make breathing any easier. I always have post nasal drip down my throat.

What do you do or take to help these symptoms? I'm on an asthma protocol (even though it's in the bronchial tubes) of Pulmicort, Xopenex, Singulair and now just added Spiriva. Nose spray in the nose along with saline. I try to drink Mullein tea (herbal) that is supposed to soothe the respiratory system (and I think it helps - doesn't taste too bad either). As far as the myofascial pain - just the heating pad and an occasional Tylenol. I do take Fish Oil for pain and sometimes Ginger.

Any advice will help - I'm so sorry you have this agony - I feel it has made me avoid things in life that would be fun, but I'm alway afraid to get into a smell that drives me into a horrible cough and starts the ball rolling again.
  10. June

June New Member

breath can be caused by FMS.

Here is the site that I read it on.

I am also short of breath a lot and was told It was COPD.

11. kayann

kayann New Member

I am a mix between all of you. I have had fibro for 15 yrs, but just since this 1/ 1/2 years, I too, suffer with all these other symptoms like you all. I have been to every dr. that I can think of. I tell the men 'dr's would you like it if you had to have your testicles in a vice and just go about your day smiling. ''
    then they say they would not be able to tolerate this kind of pain, and thats when i say, this is how I feel most of the day, like my breasts are in a vice and it feels like someone has put a large knife through my sturnum.........Some of my drs. think it is a pinched nerve, and that is what I thought until I just read about all of you with simliar pain. I can't stand the pressure when even wearing a bra. I suffer so afterwards. I know now that I am not alone, thank you to all that came forward to talk about this.
    If they just came up with somthing for the pain, i find that narcotics barely even touches this kind of pain,

I know I'm not crazy now, we all have it whatever it is, i wish i knew. my chest is so tight right now, that is very hard to breath. I't like we have all been gaurding this pain and stay so tightend up 24/7x

12. msgirl67

msgirl67 New Member

I am thankful that you posted this question. I have been having this chest pain for almost a year. That's when I first went to the doc thinking that I had a major chest infection (bronchitis or pneumonia). I remember laying on the table in tears and almost asleep while they were in between patients and waiting on my bloodwork and chest x-ray results. Each time (went 3 times in 2 weeks) they would tell me they found nothing and sent me home on antibiotics and did the breathing treatment on the last trip. It had let up a little after a month or so but I remember that this was the month that I was really sick all month.

I have constant pain in my chest, sterum, ribs through to my back on my left side. Starting this past Friday, my pain has moved into my neck, shoulder, armpit and down my arm into my hand and fingers. It is almost numb. My left ear and face feel somewhat like a sinus infection. It almost makes me think of a pinched nerve. idk. It just makes me feel so energy at all. The pain and numbness are also making it hard to type and I just keep shielding my arm like it's broke.

You mentioned that you do not have cysts in your breast...I do and not sure if they are putting pressure on anything??? I have never been a caffeine person either, but I have been drinking coke lately to help myself stay awake, but have not had any since starting my new meds a week ago.

I don't believe that my sob is due to anxiety though. It's the hot red poker stabbing feeling that is in my chest turning back and forth through to my back and radiating through the rest of my body.

I was very suprised to read about you and others having issues with smells and sounds. My husband and kids have always thought I was crazy b/c I could smell things that they didn't and that I am always asking them to turn things down or not talk so loud. I instantly cover my ears when my husband goes to cough. I am learing so much that has been going on with me by reading others posts.

I am so trying to get myself in the shower right now so that I can go get my bloodwork today which will need to be taken out of my right arm due to the pain and numbness in my left arm. The shower will def make me tired and trying to find something to wear will be another stressor. It's also raining out today, so that makes me feel worse...mentaly and physically. I also get to increase my Cymbalta today to 60 mgs. I am hoping that this helps. I'm also on Celebrex which has helped a little with my hip and lower back pain. I still continue to take my pain meds to just help mask some of the pain and make me a calmer person. I feel like I am so ready to jump down someones throat if they cross my path the wrong way. I am off from work this week (work from home) and hope to get some rest. Thank you for reading...sorry so long!