Soc. Sec. Disability Hearing - What Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Logand, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Logand

Logand New Member

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on here. I just got my 2nd denial, and my lawyer says we will probably be scheduled for a hearing sometime in September.

FYI, I was seen by Soc. Sec.'s doctor and psychiatriast. They have all the updated reports from my own doctor, a rheumatologist, and psychiatrist (who say I have fibro and am disabled).

What normally happens at these hearings? I guess mostly I'm concerned because I don't have any "real proof" of my disability. I've had all kinds of blood tests and exams, but nothing has ever shown up. I was even tested for MS. My diagnoses are fibro and depression.

I just don't know if I have a chance. They can't see my pain, fatigue, depression, muscle weakness.

The other thing I'm worried about is how long private long-term disability insurance lasts. Will they pay until I hit retirement age? I'm only 39. (My SSDI back pay will all be going to my long-term disability company).

I would appreciate any input & support.

Thank you.

Michelle
  2. Huggabugg123

Huggabugg123 New Member

A few of us have recently gone to hearings. There are several posts in refence to what we went through. I will see if I can bump them up to the top for you so that you can find them.

Huggabugg
  3. Logand

Logand New Member

Thanks so much.
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I filed nearly 4 years ago; got two obligatory denials and then a lawyer.

I also was obsessively worried about the fact that I had no REAL proof...nothing to REALLY convey how impossible it was to hold a full time job. I had a sleep study which concluded that I had...I forget the name, but basically that my sleep problem was partly psychological and maybe a part biological. It also showed that I had 7 hours of sleep (which proved to me that my waking hour brain waves must look like sleep also since I was conscious during "sleep"). I had almost zilch (.5%) deeper sleep, but the judge was not aware of what that meant.

The hearing can't help but be a sweater! I was nearly comatose with anxiety. The judge really did wear a black robe and sit high up behind a mahogany desk. But it was just me, the judge, a court recorder, an occupational expert and my lawyer.

The judge asked a series of yes and no type questions. She asked for specifics on what a typical day would be like and I kinda had a brain-freeze. I basically told her that every day my brain felt like it was suffering a giant hang-over and that I felt that I just literally could not think on my feet. I told her I did not feel I could SUSTAIN employment at anything.

Two weeks later I was notified that I was approved.

Maybe it's because of my age (near 60), maybe it's because my background really does show lack of longevity at any job. Mostly it's probably because of two psychologist's reports (one of them hired by S.S.) that were strongly in my favor.

If your hearing is in September, you still have time to have a few appointments with a psychologist, who might support you. A good psychologist can be very helpful anyway during this stressful time.

Best luck to you.
    P.S. your lawyer will probably clue you in on what to expect before yur hearing.
  5. loucindy

loucindy New Member

I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THE MESSAGE BOARD BUT I WILL TRY AGAIN, I WAS WONDERING IF YOUR LTD POLICY HAS A CLAUSE IN IT ABOUT DEPRESSION, MINE SAYS IF YOU ARE FOUND DISABLED ON DEPRESSION THEY ONLY HAVE TO PAY FOR 2 YEARS, THEN YOU WOULD ONLY RECIEVE THE SSD. TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK