Soc.Sec. requesting Dr. appts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Dec 17, 2010.

  1. dzlady

    dzlady New Member

    I received two appointments in the mail yesterday from the Social Security Administration wanting me to see a psychologist and a psychiatrist. So, whats the difference between them? And what should I expect?

  2. 3gs

    3gs New Member

    a psychiatrist can prescribe meds,a psychologist cant.

    are you on antidepressants? maybe they want an evaluation on that and then one for depression or so from psychologist.

    good luck
  3. dzlady

    dzlady New Member

    Take Savella and will be switching to Cymbalta in a couple days. The doctor told me to go ahead and use the rest of the savella and start the cymbalta when I ran out. I am very depressed, or so I have been told by the doctor. I have felt this way for so long, its just normal to me.

    So the doctors are basically the same? I mean do the same thing. I know what a psychiatrist is, as my son sees one monthly for his ADHD. I've never been to one myself and have no clue on what the psychologist does.

    I was worried about the disability going thru on the FM but if they are basing my disability on the depression, I dont have anything to worry about. haha The very first doctor I seen about the FM asked me some questions and said I was MAJORLY depressed. She said if I had answered yes about the harming question, she would have made a call to the nearest hospital. I had no clue I was depressed. Like I said, the way I feel has become normal to me. I hate feeling this way, but nothing has worked.

    I have no desire to even get out of bed some days. I have to make myself get up. But thats as far as it goes. I do nothing all day. I cry because I feel so worthless. I am 40 years old with the mind and heart of a 25 year old. I used to have the theory, if I cant do it, it doesnt need to be done. But if I used that same theory now, I would be a mess. Thankfully, I have a husband and son that does a lot of what I used to do. Of course, I do get grumbling from the son (13 yrs old and "it's not my..." or "why do I ....")

    Last night I was sick and in a lot of pain. I laid on the kitchen floor while trying to fix dinner and cried. My dogs laid right beside me and tried to comfort me. (they seem to know when I am feeling bad) When my husband found me, he helped me to the living room and finished dinner, brought my plate to me and cut my food. See what I mean about feeling so worthless?

  4. 3gs

    3gs New Member

    personally I like psychologists better. psychiatrists tend to be more stuffy,med inclined. I applied for SS 18yrs ago and depression was a big factor in getting it,especially if you said you were sucidual. however not sure how it works now.....

    understand about depression and feeling like thats how you have always felt. have you read any of the posts about not having feelings? I used to go to psychiatrist and told him I felt like I was flatlining. no feelings,emotions just flatlined.

    then I read posts on here that its part of the fibro/cfs. also anixety.

    so glad you have a hubby to help you. plz dont feel like your worthless(altho I do understand that to).

    hope this makes sense having a bad day and brainfogged.
  5. dzlady

    dzlady New Member

    I wasn't suicidal back then, but lately I feel so worthless and with all that's been going on in my life (see last post), I have thought about hurting myself but I dont think its a serious thought. Because when I think that way, I think about my children and husband that would be so hurt, not just for a few years, but for the rest of their lives, and I couldnt do that to them. I have a family member who committed suicide so I know how the survivors hurt, forever.

    I have never told anyone that I have those thoughts. They scare me. I'm not going to do anything to hurt myself. I hate pain. I dont think my life is useless. God has some reason for having me here.

  6. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    For SS to request all kinds of doctor appts. It helps to get disability if one has psychological problems related to the illness. Who of us isn't depressed. We are grieving our lives which were taken from us. I actually saw a shrink for grief therapy to mourn for my old life and accept my new one.

    The more docs you see, and the more documentation you have, the better it is for you. Good luck.

    Love, Mikie
  7. AuntTammie

    AuntTammie New Member

    a psychiatrist is a medical doctor (MD) who specializes in pschiatry and usually basically is just there to prescribe drugs....most barely talk to you at all, but since this is a one time thig for SS the psychiatrist may actually spedn time talkign to you, too

    a psychologist is a PhD, PsyD, or EdD (not a medical doctor) who has a lot more training in counseling/therapy techniques......usually he or she works with more clinical patients, like in a hospital setting, but can also have private practice and see clients to counsel them

    there are also social workers and counselors who do pretty much the same thing, but they tend to be a little more often outside the hospital in private practice or community settings

    personally, I tend to like counselors the best, which may sound biased becasue I am one (though not working - on disability).....however, the reason I became a counselor as opposed to one of the others is because I had a lot of experience with seeing all of the above as a client (for PTSD, depression, eating disorders.....recovered long before going to grad school and long before getting ME and FM), and felt that the counselors tend to be the best for a lot of reasons.....of course, there are always going to be good and bad in any of the professions, though
  8. jole

    jole Member

    I had to first see a psychiatrist, who evaluates and gives the diagnosis, and prescribes the medication. From there you see the psychologist, who actually does the therapy. I disliked the mentioned, extremely cold and distant. The psychologist...2 out of 3 (they kept leaving) were wonderful, but the one was not a 'fit' for me at all, and if that happens you can request to see someone else who works better with you.

    As Mikie said, if you are applying for disability, this is definitely in your favor to do. Good luck in getting a good one......research them, 'cause they (like all docs) are not equal.........Jole

[ advertisement ]