SOC. SECURITY DISABILITY...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betty50victor, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Well, I talked with soc.sec. today and they have made an appt. for me for 9-26. First they said 10-1 and they a couple hrs. later called me and said the had a sooner appt. if I wanted it. (of course, the sooner the better)
    We talked about all the info. I need to take with me and I told her that I've heard thru lots of people in my same perdicament that it can take anywhere from 6 mos. to years. She sounded very surprised to hear that. She said that with Fibro and Depression it should take at the longest 120 days or even sooner. WOW! Wouldn't that be nice. But, I won't hold my breath. I told her that I had to sell my condo cause can't afford to pay on a condo and a car. I sure won't give up my car! It's the last thing that I have left of my independence!!!!! Cant do much else but at least I can still drive. I just can't walk very well with the severe pain in both hips and legs. Have finally broke down and used a wheel chair the other day when I want to Wal-Mart. Was a little embarassed but I was so nice to be able to walk out of the store and not be TOTALLY exausted from walking around for 15 or so minutes. My sister pushed be around cause I was scared/nervous to try the moterized one, BUT, I'll try it on my own next trip there or to the market since most markets have-em now.
    Just wanted to let you know what going on with me.
    Love and soft/gentle hugs to you all, Betty in Valencia
  2. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Well, I talked with soc.sec. today and they have made an appt. for me for 9-26. First they said 10-1 and they a couple hrs. later called me and said the had a sooner appt. if I wanted it. (of course, the sooner the better)
    We talked about all the info. I need to take with me and I told her that I've heard thru lots of people in my same perdicament that it can take anywhere from 6 mos. to years. She sounded very surprised to hear that. She said that with Fibro and Depression it should take at the longest 120 days or even sooner. WOW! Wouldn't that be nice. But, I won't hold my breath. I told her that I had to sell my condo cause can't afford to pay on a condo and a car. I sure won't give up my car! It's the last thing that I have left of my independence!!!!! Cant do much else but at least I can still drive. I just can't walk very well with the severe pain in both hips and legs. Have finally broke down and used a wheel chair the other day when I want to Wal-Mart. Was a little embarassed but I was so nice to be able to walk out of the store and not be TOTALLY exausted from walking around for 15 or so minutes. My sister pushed be around cause I was scared/nervous to try the moterized one, BUT, I'll try it on my own next trip there or to the market since most markets have-em now.
    Just wanted to let you know what going on with me.
    Love and soft/gentle hugs to you all, Betty in Valencia
  3. KYRock

KYRock New Member

Nomoredance I wish you luck. I've been trying for so long.
    But serveral people on here got it pretty quick. i think my age is hurting me mostly. But I'm not going to give up.
    What other choses do I have? No I can't hold down a job.
    I can't make the bed with out resting half way thru. lol
    Better to laugh than cry. Luck to ya!
  4. KYRock

KYRock New Member

Nomoredance I wish you luck. I've been trying for so long.
    But serveral people on here got it pretty quick. i think my age is hurting me mostly. But I'm not going to give up.
    What other choses do I have? No I can't hold down a job.
    I can't make the bed with out resting half way thru. lol
    Better to laugh than cry. Luck to ya!
  5. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

It sure is nice to hear a social security rep give some positive input! I hope you're one of us that get it quick.
    Let us know how it goes.

God Bless,

Regina
  6. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

were fun, But, we are having so much fun being home together with our 3 year old. At least Gary gets to watch this one grow up. That is what living is all about. Enjoying what you can each day.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  7. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I started the SSA disability process in July & just heard last week that my application was denied. Am currently looking for a good attorney to handle my appeal. Don't get discouraged if you're not approved first time out ... I understand it's pretty normal, although the administrator who first handled my application said he's seeing more & more CFIDS/FMS cases approved.

Jan ^v^
  8. TeddiAnn

TeddiAnn New Member

Dear NoMoreDance,

I filed in November of 1998. It took four months for Social Security to come back and give a denial. I then found an attorney to represent me. We filed again and it took another four months for me to receive my second denial. Finally in April 200 I went before an administrative judge who asked me three times what my birthday is (I don't look my age) and he denied me becuase I look too young and "looked healthy". He disregarded 98 per cent of my medical records. What I learned was that you have to make sure that your doctor keeps type written records and should enter your reason for seeing him/her as FMS related every single time you go in. My doctor didn't do that and even though I refilled pain medications every month there was no record of it. I am hoping that things have changed in the last two years. Good luck!
  9. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

Sure wish I could move my hips like the little yellow Icon.
    HAHA I'll let you all know what happens Thrusday 9-26 after the meeting.
    Gentle hugs to all of you.....:>)
    Betty In Valencia
  10. debrastets

debrastets New Member

IT is best that you start with your ssd and get all papers work in . I was turn down twice ,and on third try; ALJ gave me fully favorable without a hearing : this took me a year! and i just got letter 9-12. What ever you do dont give up and keep all records togather! I hope you get it 120 days but if not dont stop trying . I am in Texas and you may get it faster in your state! Good luck! Deb!
  11. TeddiAnn

TeddiAnn New Member

Dear Debrastets,

I live in Maryland close to the District of Columbia area.
    I was denied disability by an administrative judge. It may have just been the judge but he complained that he could not read my doctor's hand writing. Unfortunatley he was right about that doctor but he (the judge ignored) about 20 years of medical history. I started out in November 1998 and finally in April 200 I was denied. He said that there were jobs that I could do and that I look too young and healthy. The process was exhausting because you can't work, you can't volunteer and you can't go to school once you have applied for SSD. My attonrey told me that it was the job of Social Security to deny as many applications as possible. I used to live in California where we went to medical groups and saw doctors. They always typed my records and lsited Fibromyalgia, etc at the beginning of each page of the record. Out here they don't do that. I just found out that my current Rhuematologis doesn't have hsi records typed either. Frustrating. I hope you have better luck.
  12. shypat

shypat New Member

Hello...
    Just wanted to let you know that I won my SSD case in just under one year. I did hire an attorney, so I don't know if that's what made it progress so rapidly. I was denied I think, maybe 2 times, (my Fibro fog...sorry)...and had to go for the hearing. My attorney was a great help to me and I don't think I could have done it without him. I work part-time, so I had my boss send a letter that I took to the hearing which read how I'm always in pain and he can see how my health has changed over the years. He said I was a person who wanted to work, loved my job, but can see the pain it was causing me when performing my duties. I am the administrative assistant for the Internal Affairs Dept. of my local Police Dept. My attorney felt this letter really helped my case. I was a professional singer but can no longer remember words to songs, so have given that up, and had another letter from someone in my band saying how I stopped singing due to this. GET GOOD MEDICAL RECORDS from your doctor(s) and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!!! You know, I was soooo nervous, but I just spoke from the heart and told him exactly what was going on. My attorney asked me questions that helped me in doing so, for example, one question was, "Patty, will you be going apple picking this fall with your baby?', which my reply was no, because of the pain, and especially my bladder, I could never spend any amount of time in a field without a restroom, showing simple things like this are hard to be accomplished. Good luck to you all, and if I can be of any help, just ask me anything. Oh...the good attorney did charge me $3,000., but in the long run, I guess it was worth it!!
  13. lauraor

lauraor New Member

Hi nomoredance, It sounds like you had a much better rep. then I did. Mine never smiled or chatted at all. I was afraid it would take to long so I got an attorney. I wish you lots of luck. I can't understand why we have to fight for something that is already ours! Nice to meet you. laura
  14. SAS

SAS New Member

HI Betty,

Just for encouragement.....I haven't received my "official" letter, but spoke with my Social Security Rep. yesterday and I have been approved. The payment will be retroactive to July of this year (that is when I actually stopped working) and by law they have to holld back payment for five months. So, my first check should be December. I actually opened the claim in April, so it didn't take long at all. I had to go to a psychologist for testing for the depression since there wasn't enough medical info about that in my records. But, my primary care doc. and rheumatologist filled out the necessary paperwork promptly when it was sent to them.

So, hopefully, you have cooperative doctors who want the best for you, and you can feel encouraged. Remember though, LOTS of paperwork.

Best wishes,
    Shirley