socail security disability? not elegible for ssi?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Aug 14, 2008.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Does anyone live in Ga that has been approved for ssdisability
    Not social security income. Which my husband makes to much money for that. I do not.
    I am also wondering if anyone in georgia has been approved
    Someone told me on this post what to do when i go to the doc in six days. I forgot what it was, I quit my job sept 27 2007
    Should i also tell my dr or social security people that i am going to try to work somewhere i dont want to give up.
    Or is this possible. I know i have about a 1,000.00 a month if
    i am approved for disability. Also is this taxed income in Georgia.
    Hensue
    I am very nervous about all this
    Thanks
  2. landra

landra New Member

At the top of the message board, there are colored lines. One has social Security DISABILITY information. (Doesn't say disability but that is what it is!) There is a lot of good information in there! Read esp. Marti_Zavala's posting of what she did to get her SSDI on the first try - almost unheard of!!

If I understand correctly, you have applied for social security disability. You have been told that you do not qualify for SSI due to your husband's income.

It take a long time to get SSDI. I applied in Sept. 2007, and just got my first denial. My lawyer's office filed for the appeal. Now I get all the updated records, and they get questionaires from providers I have seen this year to submit to SSA. It could take 2-3 years to get the SSDI.

There is also a great group called disinsissues - the address is in all that Soc. Sec. information.

Oh to ask about your state in particular, I would suggest putting that in the title.
  3. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

The money you get from Social Security for disability is taxable if your income qualifies. With your husband working it will be taxable. I just got my backpay check for $43,000. Out of that I have to pay Allsup $5300 for their fee. I will also have to include that as income for this year and it will be subject to tax when we file.

My monthly check is $1385, and I have to make sure I keep money on the side for the taxes owed on that. Our income tax lady told me how much I would owe and what to plan on. Remember SSD is a federal program. Your questions about it for GA are the same all over the US. The length of time each state takes to approve is a little different. But, for the most part, they are all pretty much the same.

M J