Social Security decision

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dainty45, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I just received my denial letter from Social Security. When I appeal it, does any one know how long the process takes after that for another decision? Just curious, I know you can't rush those people.
    Thank you in advance! SB
  2. llama

llama New Member

Hi Dainty45,

Was this the denial of your original application? If so the next step is "reconsideration". If denied again you have 60 days to request a hearing in front of a ALJ (administrative law judge). If you are denied again, I believe you can go before the appeals council. I think there is still an option or two left but I'm not exactly sure of the details.

If I may, I'll briefly give you the time table that I've had to endure, so far. Applied 11/05 (disabled 10/04). Got my first denial in 2 months. Retained an attorney at that point, which most people suggest. You have 60 days to request a Reconsideration (often known as just a "rubber stamp" step to reconfirm the first decision...like no one in SSD would ever make a mistake!).

Received denial of Reconsideration about 6 months later (7/06). Again have 60 days to request a hearing, that's where I'm at right now. My attorney feels that I have a strong case because of numerous diagnosis and as she puts it "an overlay of psychological disorders." (Yeah for me!)

In July '06 was told it would probably be 12 to 14 months before my hearing. Everyone's situation is probably a little different. Some people have had to wait much longer and others less. Seems like I'm in the middle of that spectrum.

I've been examined by one of their physicians and also had an exhaustive 5 hour cognitive testing session, that I thought they would need a stretcher to carry me out!!

Hoped this helped a little. A good website is disability secrets.com...the internet is jammed with good info. you just have to look through it and see what tips may help your case. If you don't have an attorney, you should get one. It greatly increases your odds of winning your claim.

Good Luck...keep me posted, we can whine together!
    ............Jill...............
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dainty45:

The very last step after the ALJ or appeals council is to sue SSA. Usually those who do generally win.

Just my experience.

Good luck.

nyrofan