Social Security denied..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ForeverFlaring, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

Well, I got my letter today from Social Security. I was denied on reconsideration. I am sitting here crying, my children are crying...I just can't believe it.

Social Security never sent results of my Consultative Exams to my doctor as requested, so I have no clue what was said on the reports.

I filed in April 2002 originally and now over a year later I have been notified that they havent put me through enough hell and it will continue. My family was homeless due to my inability to work. I have lost everything but the love and support of my family because of this whole procedure.

They say my conditions are not severe enough to keep me from working...how severe do I have to be? They realize that I can no longer go back to retail management but said that given my age (33) and my level of education, I could find unskilled work.

I am so mad...so sad.. and so numb. I just want to crawl in a deep hole and cover myself to end this all.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2003]
  2. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Almost no one gets approved without an attorney. Yes, they get a portion of your back pay, but they also get your pay started a lot sooner so it balances itself out and saves your sanity. If you had an attorney that paper snafuu wouldn't have happened.

I urge you to get a qualified SSDI Attorney and get some peace of mind for yourself. I didn't get an attorney until they turned me down twice and I soooo regret it. They said I was qualified to be a gluer (a job that doesn't exist anymore) I could write paragrahphs on the benefits of an attorney. Get the best. They all get paid the same (good or bad)

I will be wishing the best for you.

Prayers to you and your family.

Take Good Care!

Kel
  3. rozchuv

rozchuv New Member

H Foreverflaring,
    I was denied until I got a lawyer who specialized in SSD. That was all she did. It took a while but we won the case and got a nice big check to catch up for the time that passed from when I first filed. Don't quit now and don't pesonalize it. They seem to send form letters of denial out as a matter of course until you get some legal help. It's got nothing to do with how sick you are. It's just the way they work.
    LOL
    Rosalyn
  4. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

Hi,
    I'm so sorry to read your post. I have never gotten past the first desk at our SS office. I don't have enough of a work record, and my husband makes to much money. HA! That's a good one. If he made that much, I wouldn't be there in the first place. You surely do need a good lawyer. I have heard of some honest ones too. LOL
    All my doctors have said I should try for it, but, it takes money to do that too.
    I just wanted to say, you are in my prayers too. That's one thing a person never gets to much of. Hang in there for the children's sake. Someday you'll be glad you did. Come here anytime you need to cry,complain,b___h, or whatever. At least you can speak your mind and relieve some of the tension.
    Smokeymar
  5. ForeverFlaring

I appreciate all of the kind words. I will survive and I will move on. I am going to appeal with the help of an atty. I thought about hiring Jeff Rabin but my mother is telling me to go with someone local rather than someone in a different state. Any opinions or expereince on this?

I am still sad, but more angry at the whole situation.
    Thanks for the kind words of support. I appreciate it!

Sandy
    (FF)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2003]
  6. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

an attorney in your own state is much more likely to know the local Administrative Hearing Judges and their leanings towards various conditions. They also know the staff at the Administrative Hearing Board and are able to at least attempt to get you a Judge that is favoravble towards your condidition/s.

There is just as much polictics in SSDI as in any other branch of the Government. We don't have to like it, but we do have to play it if we want to win. An attorney will know which of your conditions to concentrate on.

Remember, too, that the attorney doesn't get paid unless you win. They are not going to take your case unless they know they can win. You will take a trememdous load off your shoulders.

Take good care

Kel
  7. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Don't take it personal. SSA sent me the same kind of letter denying my claim at the reconsideration level. I am waiting for a hearing date and still can't find an attorney. Unfortunately, the circumstances surrounding my case scares attorney's away. I waited too long to file a claim and because of that I have to prove I was completely disabled by Dec. of 1999. I am 41 yrs old now so I know how ya feel about the age thing. One attorney told me that because of my age I had to be bedridden 24/7 for social security to even consider me disabled. Not only that but SSA doesn't have my earning record straight and I was self employed. I took them copies of tax returns but they wanted canceled checks to prove I paid my self employment taxes. The canceled checks are back from 87,88, 94 and 95. This is why no attorney wants to risk taking on my case. But Jeff has given me hope when no one else has. I am sad that he can't take my case but he offered to help a local attorney organize the evidence for the hearing. I would hire him in a heartbeat. Have you seen his posts on clouds social security disability forum?
    I hope this helps. Good luck and don't give up!
    Ciao 4 Now
    Sandy
  8. matildathehunney

matildathehunney New Member

Please do not completely give up hope, the previous advice regarding lawyers was good, sorry that they denied you. Please still see the birds flying across the sky, even if you are only able to look upwards while laying in the doorway LOLOL sometimes that is the only thing that keeps
    ME going... keep applying, and reapplying, before I had to quit working, my work was with social services, and often, just plain dogged perserverance, (and Lawyers) got people to listen and act.

Good Luck
  9. JannyW

JannyW New Member

I agree that you should indeed find an attorney who is experienced in handling Social Security claims. She should be able to tell you, from looking at your records, if you have a case. I would suggest getting copies of all your medical records to take to the attorney ... this will give her the most complete picture possible.

I'm waiting for my hearing date ... came out of work in June, 2002 and filed my claim in July, 2002. If I didn't have my IRA to draw from, I would have no income at all; but if I'm not approved for SS by December 31st, I'll have to pay the penalties on the IRA withdrawals. It's always somethin' ...

Hang in there!

Jan ^v^
  10. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

Don't give up. I have heard of people being denied 2-3 times before being successful. God bless you and your family.
  11. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

i am so sorry to hear this. saying a prayer. i think you need an attorney. one who will take your case upon your income...or lack thereof.. can you appeal again? everytime i read a story like this it just makes wanna ...well, use your imagination....
    alice
  12. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

After 6 yrs. a judge finally approved. I had dropped it not knowing the system and tryed to go back to work. I almost lost all chances due to being sick so long and not racking up enough credits. I had like 1 mo left to refile.

I did get a sucky attorney. Thinking he would help take some of the pressure off me for change.BUT NOOO Help. You should not have to spend any extra if you do all the leg work. They get their cut only if you win. Some atty`s try to drag it out to make more since you will recieve back pay.

I know even still my hand shakes when I see something from SSD. I was reevaulated within 2 yrs. I was shocked.

It has alot to do with the judge you get. It was my 1 saving grace I had been through so much in past with stalking and the system failing me that is what I expected.

Granted I make less than in a mo. than 12 yrs. ago I was doing with my business in a hr. or 2. My main goal was ins. since no one would insure me.

Anyway pick yourself up, remember you are just a No. to them.(you are 3456789) to them)

I will say this 1 more time. Come in for 2 days and watch us. It would save them,govt,us, all alot of time and trouble and expence. See how we really live. They just want us to go away, that is their job. No HUMAN side to it.

PS. It should have nothing to do on what you have financially or families mem. fin. It is on you and your illness only. Unless you are going for SSDI.
  13. rozchuv

rozchuv New Member

Hi Again,
    I used an out of the area attorney who specialized in SSDI. In fact she was recommended by my private disability company who had a lot to gain if I was granted SSDI. She was excellent and as others have said would not have gotten paid unless she won the case.(there is a limit to the amont these attorneies can collect.) As, I said in my first note we did win. She was very thorough and personable and you could see the judge was impressed. She flew in for the hearing. Her name is Laurie Feldman and last i knew was living in Las Vegas but takes cases all over the country. A few years ago her number was toll free 1-877-222-5630. I don't know where she is now but if you can find her i can recommend her very highly.
    Rosalyn
  14. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

I, too, have been denied twice for SSDI. My attorney seemed so disappointed in me because I have no backup paperwork (because I have no insurance and had no money for doctors for 3 years) but that's the way life is. At least I had to give it a try.

I am in the middle of starting over with a local PCP and I have no idea how it will go with her. It has taken me almost 6 months since seeing the attorney to find a new doctor and then get my file forwarded from my diagnosing physician who cared less than nothing about treating what is wrong with me.

I think the system is really rigged if you will and that it has a lot to do with the kind of people who actually administer Social Security Disability in your own locality as to what you are up against. We all know how we really feel and what we really can't do but proving it is the whole thing and for that you need to keep good records, a journal and just plain be lucky in who you draw if you get to the Administrative Law Judge hearing. I am not looking forward to my hearing because I don't have any champion in my corner and I am not sure how far you can go after that(if you are turned down) but I am 62 years old and worn out with the process already.

Best of luck to all those waiting in line to be judged by someone who will never know what you go thru daily.

Pam
  15. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I feel so bad for you - I remember feeling so sad and numb too. As so many have said in their posts - it is so expected to have your reconsideration denied. I wonder if they even read anything!! It took me exactly 1 1/2 years and a hearing to get approved (just this past November). My case will be reviewed in Nov '04 due to my "young age". I am 47 and have FM as well as arthritis and dx depression, and a big history of orthopedic type problems. I used a local attorney who only does medical mediation type stuff and disability cases. I have read many times that it is "easier" to get approved due to the depression instead of the FM/CFIDS. Don't give up....hang tough! I had worked fulltime for many years as an RN and my attorney said this was really in my favor since it proved I had a good work ethic, etc. I hope things turn around soon for you and your family. Take care,
    Darla
  16. ForeverFlaring

Thank you one and all for your support. I am feeling better about things today. I will not give up! Never!

I have made two appointments with two different lawyers here in town. One told me she has worked on many Fibro cases, so I have a better feeling about her.

Anyhow, I just wanted to express my thanks for the support!

Sandy (FF)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2003]