Social Security disability cut

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LindaW, Jun 25, 2006.

1. LindaW

LindaW New Member

I was reading a posting and there was a reference to SS disability payments being cut at age 65. Is this true and how much do they cut it? Thanks for your help.
    lw
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

No, that is not true. It just reverts to regular Soc. Sec., and the money doesn't come from the "disability" acct anymore.

That's why I tell everyone who is sick and in pain, but working, to apply for SSDI. It is often a higher amount as it is sort of a "replacement income". the neat thing is, the amount stays the same at retirement age.

The difference between what I would have made at retirement at age 62 and what I got in SSDI was about 245 per month...starting at age 47! So over the years, that adds up to a lot of money.

Think I'm right about this...maybe someone else has more or different information, tho'.

You can call 1-800-772-1213 and just ask, too!

Findmind
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is based on your income in the years closest to the onset of the disability. Regular SS, which kicks in for those on disability at age 65, is based on one's highest earning years. For most, there is little difference in monthly benefit but it can vary. Usually, if there is a change, it is a positive one.

Love, Mikie
  4. lana33

lana33 New Member

Findmind may be right about the ss and if she is I at least should be glad for that. I got my ss at 44 and have a daughter under 18. She will be out of high school in 2 years, and mine will actually go down cause you get extra money for dependents.

I will really need the extra money then cause she will be going to college. But that is just how it works. My husband still works so I think we will be able to send her but it would be good if a person could keep the dependent money for college if the child is going to college.

Hugs,
    Lana
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have your daughter check out any need-based financial help at college. The counselors can help her with that. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Sounds like Your SSDISABILITY, (states) is better to the people applying than our Canadian Disability is!!

LOL, but they are cheap so and so's!!

Wanna adopt me!!!:>))

Jordane