Social security disability- Denied :\

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BexinTex, Aug 24, 2009.

1. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

Due to my age and they don't think I'm in severe enough pain to limit me working.

I'm take a heavy pain medication in order to function on a day to day basis and I am not allowed to return to work because it's a scheduled narcotic. I guess my doctor just hands out narcotics like candy and not to people who are in pain. ARRGHH!!!

sorry guys.. just need to vent.

Has anyone with CFS/ FM that's under 30 been approved for disability?
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Sorry to hear you were denied. Absolutely, people under 30 get Disability for FMS and CFS. If it's SSDI you're going for hopefully, you've Appealed, if not you go to the bottom of the pile again.

There are good articles here at ProHealth that can help you win. To get there, press the Home button up top and choose "Articles" then write in "Disability" and start reading. I suggest starting at the top and reading down. These articles are written by lawyers so they usually say you have to get a lawyer but really you don't. A lawyer is just going to have you do all the same things you'd have to if you didn't have one.

One of the most important things you should be doing is keeping a journal of your pain and illness and how it affects your ability to function. You may want to get a picture of an outline of a person and run off copies of it to fill in with a code. You only need to write and fill in your journal 3 times a week.

The other important thing you need to do is find a doctor who believes you are Disabled and is willing to write letters to SSDI or your LTD for you. If you need help finding such a doctor let us know.

[This Message was Edited on 08/24/2009]

PITATOO Member

I heard that everyone gets denied the first try and some to keep trying and that's what they are counting on. I am 46 tomorrow and have just been promoted to a very stressful position and will be traveling very often all over the world. I am afraid that I won't be able to do it. I was working for myself for years and had no disability with my own company. But now I am under a LTD plan under my current employer. I would hate to take it but I seem to be heading down hill every year. My mind still feels young but every morning it hurts more and more to get up. I have to wake up 2-3 hours early before I leave for work so the meds kick in and i can function. I guess private LTD is just as hard to get as SSDI. I was more worried when I was in my 30's when my children were young but they are all grown now. So I could survive on SSDI or LTD but would be tough. And if I every go on it I can't see what would make me better to go back to work. It is very scary thing to think about. Being in the prime(suppose to be) of your life and you aren't the same. Anyways I could go on and on. But keep trying, maybe a new Dr. and I heard you must get a lawyer. Your changes are much high and they take a certain percentage. Which is not huge but I would start googling to look for a SSDI lawyer - can't hurt to talk to one - I'm sure there are books out there on how to get it easier also. Good luck - Bobby
  4. BexinTex

BexinTex New Member

thank you everyone for your input. I will check out all the sites and look into getting a lawyer. again, thanks for listening to my whining!
  5. galadyb

galadyb New Member

I am a 51 yar old lady with Fibro and also suffer from severe depression and degenerative disease in my back and SS denied me saying I didn't have enough work credit's altho I had names of doctors and papers showing I was not able to work due to the pain. Still denied several times...
    I suppose I need to find one those "GOOD" doctor's you mentioned to help me cause one's I am using apparently are not getting me anywhere.
    I just got out of the hospital from having a nervous break down, SS don't care!!
    I live in Austell, Ga. Hard to find "GOOD" doctor's here!!!
    Hugs, GaLadyB
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you don't have enough work credits then I don't think there's anything you can do. I believe you then qualify for SSI though.

7. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

Heck, I was denied before I even finished filing. :) They denied me almost 4 weeks before my deadline to finish my paperwork. I do have a lawyer though, so they took care of that. But still, it kind of tells you what the mindset is at the SSA. Do they get bonuses for a certain number of denials?
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't think you're whining. I think you have a legitimate grievance.

Anyway the statistics on SS disability are appalling. Almost everyone is denied
    the first time. I Have no experience w/ the process myself, but have read
    several times you must have an atty.

Those of us who have brain fog and lack of energy really need the help of an
    atty. My understanding (which may not be accurate), is that the attorney is
    awarded part of the lump sum back benefits that are ultimately awarded.

Good luck.