Social Security Disability has anyone applied?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by melindami, Mar 18, 2007.

1. melindami

melindami New Member

How bad off do you have to be.. I had to quit my job in july 2006... This was way before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.. I was in extreme neck pain... I couldn't work with it anymore my pain mgmt dr at the time thought it was mild bulging disc causing the pain... We had done three steroid shots.. I then tried chiropractor.. It didn't work in meantime I started having arm and leg pain as well .. chirpractor didn't work went back to pain mgmt doctor specifically asked for physical therapy she was trying to talk me into radiofrequency therapy which burns nerves.. went to physical therapist he tried everything he could think of nothing worked aquatic therapy worsened my pain.. then I go back to pain mgmt dr and she tried to talk us into radiofrequency again but was willing to refer me to a surgeon.. He had me do another mri told me the slight bulging disc is too small to cause the pain he doesn't reccomend surgery at this time and does not reccomend radio frequency with a note to my doctor she stopped with that.. we did blood tests nothing showed up so she sent me to rhemotoligist which was recently.. finally told me i have fibromyalgia.. I know I have to give her a chance to treat me.. She is sending me again to physical therapist when i told her about my past experience in january she said they did not know how to treat this condition.. So i'll try, but I think if it didn't work first time not a believer.. I have been in pain for a year even with meds.. I used to work in the disability insurance field.. unfortanetly i let my policy lapse durin bad financial time.. way before got sick luckily i have a husband that helps.. In disability market is you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia you are uninsurable so shouldn't that mean you are disabled???

Anyway welcome anyone's replys.. I am curious because hubby would like to get out paying my student loan when i can't work only way is for doctor to say permaanently disabled and then it goes by a board not total that it will be forgiveen.. So if I was able to get the ssd i could pay the monthly bills with some of it.. but i know im only entitled to 800 a month because i didn't work enough to get any more.. but it would be a help with med bills as well..

Thanks,

Melinda
  2. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I applied for disability before I had diagnoses of FM/CFS, because the doctors didn't know what was wrong and couldn't give a diagnosis. I went from doctor to doctor for four years trying to find out what was wrong with me. But as soon as I got the diagnoses, right away I called the disability examiner and gave her the information.

To get excellent information on applying for disability, check out the purple tabs at the top of this web page (above) , and click on the "Disability" tab.

Also go to:
    www.fmnetnews.com/pages/disability.htm

go to:
    www.disabilityawards.com/faqs.html

and:
    www.disabilitysecrets.com/social_security_disability_fibromyalgia.html

I hope this helps your search!

God bless,
    Debbie
  3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Do a search with the box above to see what has worked. Mostly, get an attorney that specializes in SSDI and you willl get faster results from what i can gather. I am off on FMLA right now due to CFS/Lyme/Pericaditis and will be appying for STD and LTD from my job before SSD. That was a nice benefit my company was paying for :)

I have spoken with an attorney who will help me with the paperwork- that is her specialty.

Even when we applied for a loan years ago from the SBA, it was impossible to get the loan without someone who knew EXACTLY how the paperwork was supposed to be filled out to get it through.

I will end by saying best of luck and that my prayers are with you. I know, like me, you must be feeling very stressed and unsure about your future. Please try to remember that God is in control, and He will lead you down the right path, if you just let Him.

Yours in Health,
    Bunny
  4. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Also wanted to add, that even when you do win you can still make some $$ to suppliment that legally ($600/month?), and a lot of people do the E-bay thing, etc., so there is also some hope there for some additional income to help with the bills.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Have you worked long enough to accumulate 40 work credits? (That is about 10 years of employment.)

You have to have 40 credits in order to receive SSDI.

6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

you need but it can be done in as little as 5 or 6 years because i did they do take the last 10 yrs into concideration though so dont delay the worst that can happen is a denial then you wait for an appeal by then you might have more info from the drs good luck charlene
  7. Suzie-Q

Suzie-Q New Member

I had short and long term disability insurance through my former employer. I received 9 weeks of short term disability with no problems. Once that was up the fight began for long term benefits. I almost did not apply for SSD since I was told that it would be much more difficult to get SSD than employer sponsored long term disability. NOT SO!! I appealed several times for LTD and was denied, denied. So as a last resort since I was really having to cut back and falling behind financially, I filed for SSD. I applied and was approved five months later - no fuss at all. I received all my back benefits and even benefits for my minor children. What a life saver! I am an accountant so am able to supplement my SSD monies with a few small accounts I do out of my home but I could never handle office stress and daily demands of even a part-time job.
    I would highly recommend applying for SSD - I am sure that since I had battled so long with my LTD that I had my paperwork so much in order - that it saved a lot of time and expediated my approval.
    Good Luck!
  8. ihvnolyf

ihvnolyf New Member

I just finally got my disability approved. It took 4 long years and I think the fact that I had a massive heart attack 3 weeks before the hearing helped. However, because they feel there is a chance for improvement with Fibromyalgia my case has to be reviewed every 3 years, so it's not a final solution. I had hoped that when I finally got the SSD I could cut back on some Dr visits, as they don't help, but that's not the case. I have to continue seeing the DR very regularly so there is no perceived appearance of an improvement. Also, I had to agree to no back payments in order to get it.....I think that had something to do with my age (49) which by social security rules is considered 'young'.
    Make sure when you apply that you have the means to pay your bills while you wait....don't assume you will get it quickly. With Fibromyalgia, especially, it can take a very long time.
    Good Luck
  9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

the page and type in disability and you will find hundreds and hundreds of conversations about disability.

I had to leave work in Oct of 2004 and I just got my SSDI in Nov of 2006. Its a long drawn out thing but if you have the patience and always have help from a lawyer or someone else, many of us have recieved our disability.

Good luck and may God bless you.

Suzette
  10. YOGIBOO

YOGIBOO New Member

just wondering what the ebay thing is where you can make some money. my husband wants to do something part time.
    thanks!
  11. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Yes and was approved first time through for fibromyalgia, arthralgia and fatigue. (without atty)

I'm having to appeal my LTD from work!

I completed my application on line. It is very detailed and took me about 6 weeks to finish.

I made sure I described each "physical" movement I made at work in a sedentary job and how the FM affected each of these movements. (I saw that advice on here from someone else.)

Take care
  12. ETN

ETN New Member

I am assuming the dr was suggesting radiofrequency to your neck?
    Why did they then think no?

I have that done to me back. I have had it done twice in the last 2 years.

I had a bilateral medial branch block with radiofrequency ablation. It really has helped me.

How did you injure your neck to begin with?

I applied for SSD in Aug 04, was orginally denied and requested a hearing and that was in Aug 05, then I finally just had my hearing on March 1 of this year.
    Ridiculous..I can't believe how long everyone has to wait.
    There is something really wrong with the disablity system.

Anyway good luck
  13. PrariWolf

PrariWolf New Member

I applied in July of '04 and again in July of '05, and was approved this month. I couldn't do the paperwork myself the first time and missed a deadline, which killed the claim. The second time I got my mom to help me get things in on time. You can look forward to: a ton of redundant paperwork; ridiculous time-wasting sham "exams" by doctors paid to reject your claim any way they can; astonishing amounts of time spent merely processing and waiting for paperwork (6 months between my hearing and the final decision, just due to the sheer backlog of cases - and some say I was lucky). Fighting this case depleted my life savings to nothing and ruined my health even further. It is not for the faint of heart. Get a lawyer as soon as you can; their advice and help is worth their fee, which the government pays out of any backpay. (If you cannot get a lawyer, it is a pretty good sign that your case is weak.)

I think the only reason the judge was sympathetic was because I had to postpone my hearing to have immediate surgery when stage 3C ovarian cancer was discovered just before my original hearing date. They treat you with much suspicion, even though I can't imagine anyone going through this if they don't absolutely have to. It is a fight. I don't know about anyone else here, but I sure empathized with those soldiers in the Washington Post stories, who are getting the same BS runaround from the VA about their disability payments.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.
  14. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

with an attorney.It was a nightmare.Basically it all had to do with the uninformed judge I saw both times.Old guy who NEVER read my medical records AT ALL.I have a handful of chronic pain ailments and ulcerative colitis and people with less got it before me.
  15. TerryS

TerryS Member

I applied back in mid January. Had an appointment with them first of March. (Took me six weeks to get all that dang paperwork filled out!!!).

Just got several packets from them yesterday - daily activity questionnaire, work history request, and they want a "mental impairment assessment" done by my doc...they sent the form for him to fill out. Guess I'll make an appointment for the next week to get mentally assessed.

My mom also got a packet from them yesterday...I guess questions about what she has observed with me...what I can and cannot do.

I had my PCP fill out a functional capacity evaluation before I applied, and I turned that in with my initial paperwork. He did a great job on it. And my infectious disease doc wrote a great letter for me stating I have FM and CFS, that I am disabled from my sedentary job as a medical transcriptionist, and that he doesn't know of any other job that I would be able to perform due to my confusion, pain, fatigue, etc.

Of course, I'll probably get denied and have to end up going to a hearing (I'm sure some time next year). In the meantime, at least I'm on LTD...but they require reports from my PCP every few weeks...pain in the tush!!! My LTD company will only cover FM/CFS for 24 months and will cut me off after that...maybe I can either be well or on SSDI by then.

Good luck to you! I hear some of the most important things are making sure your docs are on board, having GOOD office notes from them that confirm your symptoms and diagnosis, having good letters from them and/or functional capacity evaluation supporting your disability.

TerryS
  16. melindami

melindami New Member

I finally applied.. Although I know declined for ssi supplement hubbie makes too much money...

I filled out application so good the lady in office wanted to offer me job if i get better..

Well I used to do applications for a living people buying disability insurance so I am quite experienced...

Well anyway I have to wait it out i'll probably get declined and have to appeal like most everyone else, but will see..