Social Security Disability Insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nfaith, Oct 17, 2002.

1. nfaith

nfaith New Member

I was dignosed with FM last year, after being off work for a short time I was able to return to work. In May 2002 had a severe re-apse and have not been able to work.
    I have returned every month but have not been able to stay on the job. The policy of company I work for states you must return to work before a 6 month time frame and you must be on the job for a period of 90 working days in order to keep your job position. I am fast approaching this deadline. I am only getting worse not better, I seriously doubt I will beat the clock. I asked my doctor about SSDI. She said that to her knowledge nobody in Calif has recieved SSDI for FM. Is there anybody out there who lives in Calif and is getting SSDI. I am 52, not married and will have no means of support. How are others managing, how do you support yourself when you can,t work? does anybody have any creative means of generating revenue. I have worked since I was 14 yrs old and have been with the present co. for 12 yrs. I don't know where to turn. Help! nfaith
  2. nfaith

nfaith New Member

I was dignosed with FM last year, after being off work for a short time I was able to return to work. In May 2002 had a severe re-apse and have not been able to work.
    I have returned every month but have not been able to stay on the job. The policy of company I work for states you must return to work before a 6 month time frame and you must be on the job for a period of 90 working days in order to keep your job position. I am fast approaching this deadline. I am only getting worse not better, I seriously doubt I will beat the clock. I asked my doctor about SSDI. She said that to her knowledge nobody in Calif has recieved SSDI for FM. Is there anybody out there who lives in Calif and is getting SSDI. I am 52, not married and will have no means of support. How are others managing, how do you support yourself when you can,t work? does anybody have any creative means of generating revenue. I have worked since I was 14 yrs old and have been with the present co. for 12 yrs. I don't know where to turn. Help! nfaith
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi,
    I wish I could offer more help, but I don't have the answers that you need. I believe that CA is one of the states that offers a state disability program to sustain you until your federal benefits are approved. I have been off since August and am waiting their decision in my case, but I am just a few hundred miles north of you. Oregon had a big lawsuit a few years ago concerning SSDI benifits being unjustly declined, so I am hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones. The fact that I am 55 should help. If your doctor is supportive of you, you should have a very detailed report to send in. Give her a list of every symptom you can think of and make sure she includes them all in the paperwork that she sends in. It will probably be the person in the business office who actually writes the report for your doctor's signature, so you might pay her a visit just to make sure that she is on your side also. Enlist every friend & relative you can to write letters attesting to your condition and include them with your application. You might as well get them started now. It took me the best part of a week to fill out the original application. I photocopied everything, so when they sent me the second truckload of forms I just copied the info that I had already done, elaborating on it in places. Do you have any kind of pension plan where you work? With most plans you can collect your benefits early if you retire due to a disability. After only 12 years it probably won't be enough to live on, but you could at least toss the wolf at your door a handful of kibble every once in awhile. Best of luck to you,
    Kathryn
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

I beleive you mean State Disability. You can apply and receive State Disability in CA for 1 year with a doctors assistance. I received St. Disability for 1 year from 1990-1991 diagnosed with CFS. You will recieve a monthly check based on your income from 2 years prior for 12 months.

I was rear-ended in 2000 and went on state disability for a year. I wish I would have applied for SSD sooner. I suggest getting the State Disability and then applying for SSD since you have a history of medical records.

I suggest, if after 6 months you feel the same or are worse, apply for Social Security Disability. If you can, take a medical leave and use your med. ins. for extensive medical testing. If you read enough posts here, you will see it can take from 6 to 18 months to 2 years to receive your benefits, depending on your diagnose and doctors support. Benefits are retro active.

Due to your age, you stand a better chance at receiving SSD and you can also receive SSI also since you're not married. I suggest starting with State Disability since you will receive benefits while applying for SSD. You MUST have a doctor or doctors support and backing. You must have excellent documentation by your doctors and keep regular appts. If you are on med's, great. Have you been tested to rule out all other illness's? Take advantage of your work medical ins. while you can and see several different types of doctors.

I'm in Orange County. Where are you? Your employer records stating that you have made several attempts to return to work and have been unable to sustain long periods of working in your position after 12 years of service will also be very beneficial in obtaining benefits.

Gotta go! :)
  5. nfaith

nfaith New Member

I live in the Central Valley. I have been getting State Disability since May. I will have some benifits that will last for a short while. I have been tested for everything(Lupas, Limes Disease, Rheumatoid Arthrist, MS and had my heart checked. Are there any other test I should be looking at.I am going to try to go back to work one more time. I find it hard to belive that I am in this position, I guess you can put me in with the group that says " How did this happen to me " I am going to check with my employer to see what is availble, but as with all business money is the bottom line and if you start to cost your history. nfaith
  6. maxtout

maxtout New Member

...after a bout with Valley Fever I just didn't get any better and it was determined that after I got over the VF, fibro/CFS set in. I kept trying to return to work also, but it seemed to just aggravate my condition. After 4 months of struggling to keep up, I finally had to retire out early on a medical retirement. When I first got sick, a lot a friends advised that I should immediately apply for SSDI, which I did and boy, am I glad I did. I was getting State Disability at the time, but after a year it ran out and I still hadn't
    received anything from Social Security. Of course they turned me down, played the little game they're famous for and I had to get a lawyer. It took 2 years and 2 months for me to receive my first check. Luckily, I was able to get by for about one year on my little bit of retirement and what I had in savings. I am single, and believe me it's a scary road to go down alone. I've worked since I was 14 too and have always been very independent. Having to admit that this FMS/CFS had beaten me down to the point where I have to rely on SSDI is very disheartening and somewhat embarassing, but....you have to survive. I live in California (the Central Valley) and I was awarded SSDI on the symptoms I have (debilitating fatigue and chronic pain) caused by FMS. So I know it's possible to be getting SSDI in California for this condition.
  7. nfaith

nfaith New Member

I hate that this has happened to you but it does help to know I am not alone. Your reply has encourged me. How long were you off when you applied for SSDI ?
  8. maxtout

maxtout New Member

....for about 6 months before I applied. I really hated to, but like I said....I had to survive somehow. I worked for 26 years for the same organization, but in the end it didn't matter. I was only allowed a small pittance for all the years of faithful service. To qualify for the medical retirement, they could only count 18 of those 26 years. Beats me who comes up with these idiotic calculations and formulas. I found out the hard way that the rules are bent totally in favor of the organization, not to be of any real benefit to the employee. But as my father used to say...."it's better than nothing at all."
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
  9. TahmeHawk

TahmeHawk New Member

Hello,

I'm new here and haven't formally introduced myself to the board yet, but your post caught my attention. I have lived in N.CA most of my life. I used to have a great work rep. but as the disorders (FMS, MPS & CFS) progressed I became unable to hold down a job for no more than 2 - 4 weeks, then I had to quit or was released from duty. I finally filed for disability. I was denied twice and then on the advice of a paralegal I know, I got myself a Lawyer. It was a 2+ years wait, but I won permanent disability.
    True, FMS is not listed as a disability...Yet, but in my case what they based their favorable decision on was my repeated history of quiting or being released for the same reasons after very short periods. To determine that, they contacted my ex-employers going back something like 10 years.

Btw, State disability is temporary disability. Permanent disability is at the Federal level.

L
  10. nfaith

nfaith New Member

Thank you for imput.

[ advertisement ]