Social Security Disability Question..?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BILLCAMO, Feb 7, 2007.

1. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

How many of you have received a phone call from the local office....after you FINALLY were "granted" this benefit....asking...."Do you need help managing your finances.....".

I'm just curious....stall tactic or common....

After waiting over 3 1/2 years to get the decision , this is the 1st "verbal" contact I have gotten...

Thanks.

Blessings ,

b/c
  2. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I have never had a phone call from my local SSA office asking me that question. And wow 3 1/2 years for a decision! It took only 8 months for my decision.
  3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

What kind of help would that be? I would be cautious in dealing with them and not assume they are befriending you. Weird. Also, are you saying you did get approval before they called about helping you?
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Are you sure it was from the SS office? It sounds like some third party trying to solicit their services.

My brother was approved (in only 3 months) last year and no one ever called him about his finances. It is not the job of the SS administration to manage your finances so I can't imagine them calling you.

I would call the SS office and ask them who these people are and if it is legitimate. You might not use them but they could take advantage of others.
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I'm really leary of all types of phishing & attempts by phone & internet to steal any & all info.

I'd ask for the person's name & ID number & phone #. Then call the local SS office to see if that person really works there.

I wonder if the 800 # for SS would be able to tell you if there are any programs for managing your finances, etc.

I hope you get some satisfaction, soon!
  6. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

The message was on my answering machine. I checked out everything before I returned the call. The order to ask about this was attached to the decision by the judge.

Desertsage , I hope and pray your hearing goes well !!!!

IMHO , it would never be wise to let a governmental agency , or someone "suggested" by them , manage my finances. I base this decision on my knowledge of how gov. budgets are run. One large example is our federal deficit...... Thanks all !!!

Blessings ,

b/c
  7. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I got mine in Nov and at first couldnt believe it. I got down on my knees{not an easy feat} and thanked God. I didnt get a call but it was several weeks before my backpay ck arrived and then several more before I got my letter telling me when my mthly chks would be sent.

God bless and keep you from pain. Oh yea, it took 2 1/2 yrs to get mine.

Suzette
  8. luvnewcomb

luvnewcomb New Member

I haven't had my hearing yet, it is next month - but... they did send me for an IME back in April 2005ish and in one of the notations it noted I would need help with my finances. Oh well. Whatever, as long as they approve me.

Oh - I had mentioned that I was starting to forget paying bills and had forgotten to pay a mortgage bill due to my fibro fog. All I really need to do is have my husband handle all our finances and all will be fine. But, we'll cross that bridge if they approve me finally.

Good luck and congratulations !