Social Security Disability Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by twinebrenner, Mar 11, 2010.

1. twinebrenner

twinebrenner New Member

Hi, I'm new to the board but I'm very excited I found it....before I did I thought I was all alone and no one understood what I was going through! I'm 35 years old and have been out of work since June of 2009, I was finally diagnosed with FM about three months ago along with many other issues I have, Obstructive sleep apnea, High blood pressure, bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, anxiety disorder. I'm using Allsup to start the process for SSD and had a couple of questions.

If you are approved and have children living with you full time how much does SS usually give you for each child?

If you are approved and get a retroactive payment (lump sum) do they deduct money that you are receiving or received from employer (long term disability) while you were waiting to be approved?
  2. twinebrenner

twinebrenner New Member

This has helped, I'll take your advice for the google search.....thanks again!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2010]
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the amt that you get is based on how much you have put in while working, so no one here is going to be able to give you an exact answer....unfortunately it is generally a very low income

if you are living on a small enough amt, it is possible to get supplemental income (but the amt you have to be making for that is extremely small - far less than would pay my rent & I do not live in an expensive apt)......there are also things like medicaid, food stamps, food pantries, and electric assist depending on your income and also if you are well enough to get to the places they require you to go
  4. charming

charming New Member

I heard and read a pamphlet on SSD and if you have children and are eligible for SSD if you had paid into SSD for at least 5 out of 10 years of your working life your children can get SSD but I don't know how much because its based on what you paid into it.
  5. charming

charming New Member

On the 2nd of this month, I recieved a letter from SSA saying in 20 days from the date of the letter I will be recieving a date for a appointment for a state hearing. I know that fibromyalgia is a hard case to win. and I have new insurance and new doctors they are not so willing to support me, for (1). its to soon and (2). they need to gather all my past medical history which take time. and my first doctor diagnose me with fibromyalgia in 2003 my second doctor wont support me on if I can or can not work he won't say either or, and my new doctor don't know enough. How can I convince them that I have limits and the only work I been doing is nurse assistant and can no longer lift and pull on other people.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

gather as much data as you can....info from doctors is given the most weight, but they will look at any other info you have, too....if you keep track of your daily symptoms and functioning, pain, etc, and if you show how your life has changed, and also if you can get people who know you well (friends, family , coworkers, etc) to back you up, those things will help

as to the fact that you can no longer do your current job, they really do not care about that.....sorry if that sounds harsh, but the way they view it is that you have to be unable to do ANY job in order to be disabled ( if you can still work even if it is at a different job than you have had, then you are not considered disabled)....you need to look at every way that this illness effects you (physically, cognitively, any sensitivities to noise, light, odors, etc, any problems with sitting a long time, standing, etc, etc) and the impact that those effects would have on any kind of job you can think of
  7. charming

charming New Member

I really only been doing nursing asst. since 1995 I really don't have any skills or background in anything else would that count and should I mention that?