Social Security Disability Survey.. Hi Everyone,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rt6176, Sep 14, 2005.

1. rt6176

rt6176 New Member

My health has been deteriorating lately. I'm not sure how much longer I can do my job. (or any job for that matter)

My question to all of you on disability is did you used a lawyer or did you it on your own?

Also, is a lawyer recomended after your experience?

Thanks,

RJay
  2. deserna

deserna New Member

I was initially turned down for social security and went directly to requesting the assistance of an attorney in order to get a hearing. I won my case in court 8 months later. I always tell people if they are turned down don't go through the appeal process because you'll end up waiting for a year or more for an appeal and probably lose. It saves a lot of time to just go for a hearing. I don't know of any attorney who has taken a case that hasn't been filed and rejected by social security first.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

RJay:
    In my case I called the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and they took the main info on the phone. Then they sent me a ton of papers to fill out, which I did myself. Then I signed the release forms they supplied for each and every doctor I saw.

After two denials: then I brought the lawyer in. But it did cut down on legal expenses in the beginning. Also it gave me some control on what was said and what was not. Just be emphatic with them that you are unable to work, no matter what they say.

Just my experience,
    Hugs:
    NyroFan
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

I haven't filed yet because only sick 3 mos, but have literally been totally unable to work or do anything else since day one of my illness (tried desperately to go back to work 3 times...didn't last longer than a day and 1/2 any of the 3 tries...sob!).

I'm not willing to even acknowledge that I might not be able to work for upwards of a year, and my meds are still so new, I'm really hoping that effectiveness will get better and pain will calm down. But we all know it might not get better, and I'm trying to be realistic.

Plus, fighting like crazy with yahoos from ST disability at work...they're still not paying me, 3 mos later!

CAN WE KEEP THIS POST GOING, KEEP BUMPING IT, SO WE CAN ALL HAVE ADVICE FROM THOSE WHO'VE GONE THRU IT TO REFER TO EASILY? THANKS!!!!

Excellent post, RJay!!!
    Rachel

Oh, I'm also in what they finally found you "disabled" for, ie: FM, CFS, Lupus, bunch of stuff...etc, and ages. Very worried bc I'm only 30 that getting benefits will be nearly impossible, regardless of fact that I can barely move! Thanks, all!
  5. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I used a disability lawyer after being told by many people who applied that it was the best way to win your case.
  6. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I won my first try on my own without a lawyer or the courts or even seeing one of their doctors. But mind you this was 10 years ago. From what I've heard alot has changed since then and it's alot harder to win the first time.
    Good luck
  7. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I became totally Disabled in 7/04...

My last month of employment was in 7/04....

I waited 5 months after my last day of employment, then I Filed for SSDI...(There is a 5 month waiting period regardless if you file right away for SSD or wait out the 5 months..I waited out the 5months before applying)

I filed for SSD in 2/05..but was told if approved my backpay would go back to January 05 because I had already been out of work and disabled for 5months prior.

I was denied my inital claim...

I appealed for Reconsideration without the the help of a lawyer (on my own & my doctors)

I was approved full SSDI in July 05....

Recieved my first check in August 05...Backpay for 6 months

This is my own personal opinion....I would not get a lawyer until you have been denied twice...When it then would be time for you to go before a ALJ....Unless you really feel you cannot gather all your information, fill out your papers etc...Then you may want to get a lawyer ASAP.

If I would have been denied a second time I would have definately obtained a lawyer at this stage.

I had spoken with several lawyers through free consulation after being denied the first time as well as speaking with many many lawyers through e-mail for advise...ALL told me at the first denial there was not alot more they could do at this stage except make sure I have gathered all info, records etc.. At the Reconsideration stage they pretty much do the same thing as when you first applyed except they take more info if you have it...

Again this is just my opinion and others may not agree...but I think hiring a lawyer for the reconsideration stage is just a waste of your backpay money when you are approved....

But again it all depends if you are up to gathering everything you need to file...Medical records,Letters from at least one or more doctors backing your case, Pharmacy records, Letters from family and friends on your behalf...other things I cannot think of at the moment...

Please see my post "For Those of Us Applying/Fighting For Disability"...alot of really good info all through out the post as well as many things that helped my case.

Im not saying to not hire a lawyer right away and I cant tell you personally to hire one...I thought I would just let you know my sitution and how it worked out for me.

Dont be shocked though if denied at least the first time...it seems all most the Norm...Some do win at the intial fileing..but very few...

Sorry this is so long...And I wish you all the Luck!! Please be sure to see the post I mentioned above...

Good Luck
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

One year after I took early retirement, due to health reasons, I applied for SSDI.

I did not have any help completing the forms, etc. No lawyers.

I was awarded it on my first try!!

I, personally, did not think I needed a lawyer just to complete the forms and turn them in. But I understood all the questions, etc.
  9. rigby

rigby New Member

I won mine on the first time and saw their doctors. Try own your own the first time.