Social Security Disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lana56, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

Does anyone know if there is a difference between State disability and Social Security disability? Lana
  2. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

Does anyone know if there is a difference between State disability and Social Security disability? Lana
  3. sickandtired

sickandtired New Member

a difference. There are only about 5 states that offer state disability. I know rhode island and new jersey are two. I believe state disability is short term. Don't quote me though. I used to live in rhode island and if you had broken a leg or needed maturnity leave and couldn't work for a short period of time, you could apply. I believe you can apply for both, but the state disability would help hold you over until SSD which is federal is approved.
  4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

State Disability is run by the state. It is available in California for one year if you apply and can't work due to an accident or illness.The monthly amount depends on your earnings over the past 3 year period. It ends after your money you paid into the progran is used up after one year.

Social Security Disability is taken out of your check over the course of your lifetime - it helps those who are retired or disabled. You qualify for Social Security Disability if you have an illness or disability that lasts over one year and will end in death or makes you incapable of holding down a job - you must qualify by their definition of disability and are not eligible until 6 months after your illness, disability begins. It is run by the government.
  5. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

I had 2 surgeries before I got it. I was rejected the first time, as most are. I had to hire a attorney who deals with disability and rec'd SSD at my hearing from the judge. The attorney gets a fraction of your lump sum you have coming from the last day you worked till the day you rec'd the SSD. I live in PA. We don't have state SSD here. It took a year from filing till I was approved for it. There are tons of forms to fill out and it's a royal pain in the ---, but neccessary in PA to get it. Good luck.'
    Darla
  6. kiwi47

kiwi47 New Member

SSI disability is paid to disabled persons who have not earned enough work credits to qualify for Social Security Disability. It also means you will receive LESS money. Each state has thier own "fixed" amount, so it just depends on where you live. If you qualify for SSI, you will also become eligible for Medicaid Benefits.

Hope this helps.....
    nanak
  7. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

Here is PA it goes by what you paid in while working, just like SSI. Everyone gets a different amount, it should be like that everywhere as it is a federal program. I also get Medicare Part A&B. They deduct $50.00 a month out of your check for it. Then I had to get a secondary ins. co. to cover what Medicare didn't.
    Darla
  8. sickandtired

sickandtired New Member

is offered by only 5 states. Its sort of like what your job would offer you but the state has this benefit also. Its not a federal program. SSD and SSI are federal. So you can apply for the State and it will help you for a short while. In the meantime you also apply for SSD or SSI if you havn't worked enough.
  9. sickandtired

sickandtired New Member

California State Disability Insurance (SDI) is a partial wage-replacement insurance plan for California workers. The SDI program is State-mandated, and funded through employee payroll deductions. SDI provides affordable, short-term benefits to eligible workers who suffer a loss of wages when they are unable to work due to a NON WORK-RELATED illness or injury, or a medically disabling condition from pregnancy or childbirth.

The majority of California employees, approximately 12 million workers, are covered by the SDI program. Some employees are exempt from SDI; for example, railroad employees, some employees of non-profit agencies, employees who claim religious exemptions, and most government employees.

Four other states and one Commonwealth offer a disability insurance program. They are Rhode Island, New Jersey, New York and Hawaii, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Each state operates its program independently.

BENEFITS OF CALIFORNIA SDI COVERAGE

* SDI coverage "travels" with the worker. Coverage is not dependent on staying with a specific employer.
    * SDI coverage is mandatory for most California workers.
    * SDI is non-exclusionary. An eligible worker's coverage cannot be canceled or denied because of health risk factors, pre-existing medical conditions, or hazardous employment.
    * SDI may pay up to 52 weeks of benefits with a waiting period of only seven days.
    * Payroll deductions for all covered workers are based on the same low contribution rate.

Hope this helps some.