Social Security Disability...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SAS, Oct 4, 2002.

1. SAS

SAS New Member

I am sending some encouragement out to those of you who are discouraged by the SS process.

I submitted my claim in April. As of the end of June, I was out of work.

I spoke to my Social Security Rep. yesterday, and I have been approved effective July. My first check is expected December and will be retro to July. They are required to hold back payment for 5 months.

So, it didn't take too long for action.My husband and I filled out lots of paperwork. My doctors cooperated as well, they are great. I was a little apprehensive about my primary care doc., he had said that he felt that often FMS is used as a catch-all phrase when nobody can give a specific dx., but ultimately he was great. They both filled out the necessary papers in a timely manner.

I had to see one of SS's psychologists for the depression confirmation, but he was very nice. He did some testing, alot of memory stuff. We talked a little bit, but mostly it seemed to be standard things.

So, my friends, be encouraged. And, don't give in to discouraging feelings. When you know you are right, don't back down.

Thank you all for your forever support....you are the best thing about this disease.

Shirley
  2. SAS

SAS New Member

I am sending some encouragement out to those of you who are discouraged by the SS process.

I submitted my claim in April. As of the end of June, I was out of work.

I spoke to my Social Security Rep. yesterday, and I have been approved effective July. My first check is expected December and will be retro to July. They are required to hold back payment for 5 months.

So, it didn't take too long for action.My husband and I filled out lots of paperwork. My doctors cooperated as well, they are great. I was a little apprehensive about my primary care doc., he had said that he felt that often FMS is used as a catch-all phrase when nobody can give a specific dx., but ultimately he was great. They both filled out the necessary papers in a timely manner.

I had to see one of SS's psychologists for the depression confirmation, but he was very nice. He did some testing, alot of memory stuff. We talked a little bit, but mostly it seemed to be standard things.

So, my friends, be encouraged. And, don't give in to discouraging feelings. When you know you are right, don't back down.

Thank you all for your forever support....you are the best thing about this disease.

Shirley
  3. cpalance

cpalance New Member

It sounds like you and your husband did your homework. I still haven't taken the plunge yet. I started fillling out the original forms but that is as far as I have gotten. You encourage me to get going on this.

Again congradulations that is wonderful news.

Cindy
  4. debrastets

debrastets New Member

So happy for you! I just got appoved (9-12) IT took me a year! Was turn down twice and had a hearing date but didint have to go! You right dont anyone give up!