Social Security Disibility Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurt_allover, Feb 16, 2008.

1. hurt_allover

hurt_allover New Member

I am curently still waiting for my hearing on several boards how folks are writing to their congress man in hopes of gettting a hearing date I just did that and hit the send button..fingers crossed.

My questions are:
    an aquaintance of my huband told him last week that SSDI does not Pay back pay in lump sums anymore and that they also only go back 4 months is this true?? it sounded wrong to me but wanted to ask anyway if anyone knew anything about this.

thanks in advance for replys

2. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

one year back pay they said that was the most they do one year
    I have ssd and I recieved ssi for one month-Kim
  3. jole

jole Member

Some of you were really lucky. They didn't go back at all to when I was diagnosed. They only went back to when I had to stop working due to the FM, which was just 4 months. But I did get it all in one lump sum....not a large amount for only 4 months.

Didn't even know you could go back to the time of diagnosis! Wish I would have known that. But I got mine on first try without a lawyer, so guess it evens out okay.
  4. bubblegum

bubblegum New Member

Here's what they told me. If you have a claim for Social Security Disability Insurance then you will receive your back pay in one lump sum. For those that don't have meet the criteria for SSDI but are elegible for SSI this is how they do it: If the backpay is more than what you would receive in 12 months they pay in 3 payments. The first is equivilent to 3 months, 6 months later they issue another check in the amount = to 3 months, and 6 months later they issue a check covering the balance. This new rule was passed by Bush in 2006. I guess the government figures that we haven't waited long enough so they make us wait another 1 1/2 yrs. Go figure.

If you can prove extreme financial hardship (foreclosure etc) if they paid you in payments, SSA can approve a lumpsum payment. I hope this helps.

5. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I thought they would not go back more than one year but it was a little bit more, maybe different states are different? I heard that some of the people working for SSDI are so stressed out they want to get disability for themselves. They better get moving on fixing this mess.
    Good luck everyone!

obrnic did they pay you for four years?????I filed that i was disable as of 2002. I have never heard of that. Did you have LTD too?
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2008]
  6. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

I was told at my hearing (lawyer? judge? do not remember) that there is a very good chance they will go back to the date disabled (when I got fired for being unable to do my job anymore) vs the date I actually first applied. that would be very cool!
  7. Ginner

Ginner New Member

8. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I just won my case on 5/9. I was awarded back to 4/05. Then there is the 5 month period of waiting that they don't count. I recieved a back pay check in June from 10/05 through 7/08. My monthly checks started this month.

I have heard that the back pay is down to one year also. But everyone I know that has won has recieved their full back pay.

Good luck.

M J
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

It seems that, if SS is going to begin paying backpay for only 1 year, then they should award the ones that have already filed and hired an attorney due to having to deduct attorney fees. However, I suppose it doesn't matter to them, huh?

I filed in 05 so I hope they won't change anything yet......hmmmmmmmm.

I don't know anything at this point; still having to wait.

Hey; I read your bio and I like the way you put it regarding "waiting game"; "waiting game dump ground". LOL! That's a good one.

I hope you won't have to wait much longer.

10. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

They would not go back to date of diagnosis. As Caledonia states, they go back to date of disability minus 5 months.

If you were still working, then obviously they would not pay you for those months.

It would be helpful if you put your testimony in the sticky at the top of the page for others to help them especially since you did not use an attorney.