Social Security Interview...what to expect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bluebirder, Feb 10, 2003.

1. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

I will have a phone Social Security interview on Friday the 7th. I don't know what to expect.The Lawyer secretary called to set the appt for me. I don't have a running vehicle right now so they set up a phone interview.

Hubby refuses support so I had them give my friends # to contact me at. I will have to get to her house to take the call. I am a little scared.

I am supposed to see my Dr this Thursday. What do I ask her for? I do not use a cane. But had one ordered a long time ago for back injury. Hubby didn't want to spend the money so he borrowed his mothers walker and wanted me to use it. I fought to get around on my own. I just stay near something in case I need to reach out for balance.

Anyway what kind of questions will they ask me? What information do I need to have at my friends house when they call?

2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

If this is your first visit with them all it si is going over your name, address, work history, children, marriages and that type of thing. They should send you out forms and it is pretty much just going over everything on the forms. It isn't that difficult and usually the people you speak with are very kind. Just be sure to have your SS # and such.

I truly am sorry that you have little support from your Hubby. My heart truly goes out to you and good luck with everything okay.
    Take care.
    Joannie
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

copies of everything you can get from your doctor. Most of the questions that they asked me were right off the application. If you can't remember something, SAY SO!!! Short term memory loss is one very well recognized symptom, as well as forgetting common words and phrases. The lady I spoke with was very understanding. They will send you at least two more packets (truck loads) of forms. Keep copies of everything. Good luck, and do let us know how it goes. We all care.
    Kathryn
  4. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

Really don't have any information from the Dr yet. Don't know what she will support me in and what not. She is aware of how my mental state was when I last saw her due to husbands attitude. I am going back Thursday.

I am really scared I will say the wrong thing. Like a hobby is gardening. But then most people think of gardening as digging/planting bending & up and down stuff. I don't garden that way. I never till the ground and use a home-made staff to get up and down in the garden. Without the staff I wouldn't be able to get up. And half the time I have trouble even with it. Body likes to freeze up and I just simply wait it out before I move. My weak bladder makes me get up and come in every few minutes anyway!

Being I am only 47 and am mobile on my own I don't really expect to get it. Hubby is real mad I quit work a year and half ago anyway. But I recognised that I could not perform like I used to.
  5. nje

nje New Member

THE PREVIOUS REPLIERS HAVE GOT IT PRETTY WELL COVERED,ESPECIALLY, SKEESIX OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT,LOL I HAD TO APPLY 1 TIME ON MY OWN,DON`T GIVE UP IF THEY TURN YOU DOWN THE FIRST TIME,IN SOUTH CAROLINA WHERE I LIVE YOU HAVE TO HAVE BEEN TURNED DOWN 1 TIME ON YOUR OWN,BEFORE A LAWYER WILL TOUCH IT. SOUNDSLIKE YOU ALREADY GOT ONE SO IT SHOULD MAKE IT A WHOLE LOT SIMPLER FOR YOU. IF YOU HAVE ONE-HALF GOOD A LAWYER AS I DO,HE`LL DO THE FIGHTING FOR YOU,HE WAS AND IS THE BEST KNOWN SS LAWYER IN S.C. I AM 52, YOU SOUND ABOUT AS BAD AS ME, I DON`T HAVE A CANE BUT I DO HOLD ONTO THINGS INCLUDING MY HUSBAND WHEN WE GO SOMEWHERE,WHICH IS GETTING FEWER AND FEWER, I JUST NEVER FEEL LIKE IT. I THINK YOU HAVE A GOOD CASE. DO NOT GIVE UP. I`LL PRAY FOR YOU. NJE. IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO,OR JUST TO TALK, MY E-MAIL IS BABYDOLLS20000@AOL.COM THATS 5 O`S I WISH YOU THE VERY BEST OF LUCK. YOU CAN CALL ME JEAN.PS I`M WAITING N MY BACK-PAY CHECK NOW,I REALLLYYYYY NEED IT,POVERTY BITES1
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2003]
  6. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

I DIDN'T HAVE A PHONE INTERVIEW BUT I WOULD IMAGINE IT WILL BE BASICLY THE SAME. I HAD TO TELL THEM WHAT I COULD NOT DO ANY MORE. THEY HAD ALL MY MEDICAL RECORDS AND LETTERS FROM Y DIFFERENT DR'S SO I ONLY SPENT ABOUT 10 MINUTES THRU THE WHOLE PROCESS. MY LAWYER WAS THERE BUT HE WAS NOT REALLY CALLED ON TO TALK. I TOLD THEM HOW HARD IT WAS FOR ME TO SIT FOR A LONG TIME OR STAND FOR A LONG TIME, I HAD TO WALK WITH A CANE AT THAT TIME, I WAS DEPRESSED, WHICH THAT WAS NOTED IN MY RECORDS ALSO, AND A WHOLE LOT OF STUFF ABOUT WHAT I HAD BEEN THRU WITH MY BACK SINCE SEPT 14, 1997. I GOT MY RESPONSE IN 6 WKS. THAN I GOT MY BACK PAY IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH WHAT MY RECORDS HAD BEEN PUT THER. JUST RELASX AND TEL THEM YOU ARE UNABLE TO WORK, ANDHOW IT HURTS TO DO THNGS LIKE YOU DID BEORE , EVERYONE ELSE SAID IT THE WAY ITS DONE ALSO. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND I WOULD NOT WORRY. THOSE PEOPLE ARE VERY NICE. JANICE