social security phone interview

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I had my long awaited social security interview today. What a disappointment. The interviewer basically said I didn't qualify as I work about 3 hours each day & I'm self-employed. Unbelievable! I spent a long time explaining that what I used to do in about 45 minuets to an hour now take me 3 hours with lots of breaks for the heating pad, etc. I only work when the pain allows.

After some discussion on her part it became apparent that I might qualify for medical reasons not work reasons. All this because I don't work for somebody or some company. She said there would be no question if I was doing the same work in a job setting. Such bias!

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with disability application for self-employemnt. I have just signed on with an attorney as I don't want to beat me head against the wall for years.

2. baddogdays

baddogdays New Member

In order to receive Social Security you have to have paid in to it. your lawer is the best route to go as the people who work for Social Security act like they are paying out of there pockets. I wish you luck. As I am going to try to file myself. If you get any information please let me know as I have all of the signs for Fibro.
    My sister is self enployed also had paid in to Social Security brfore being self enployed and she had to get a lawer and she won.
  3. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, I've paid in & have enough quarters to qualify.

The question of 3 hours really burns me. For me to get in 3 hours takes about 12 hours between heating pad breaks, soaking the sitz baths, doing water therapy, resting, eating, etc, etc.

I don't know about you, but it takes me much longer than it used to to actually write any original creative thoughts. Can't image how long it would take me to write my thesis if I was starting today. Phooey!