Social security question about the 24 month wait for medical insurance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bobbycat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

What have people done for medical insurance while they are trying to get approved for SSD and if they are approved for the 24 month waiting period.
  2. jole

jole Member

This is the worst of it....when I was approved, I couldn't find any insurance that would insure me but one....for over $1,000 a month. So for 2 years I was completely without insurance. It's very, very difficult to get anyone to insure you once you are disabled. My state is terrible about it, but some states are a little bit better.

I called my State Insurance people to check, and they told me not to bother. Then I started calling every ins. ad number that came up on tv, and they were right. Even our local ins. carrier who deals with lots of different companies couldn't find one for disabled.

My medicare kicks in in March, thank goodness, so if I can hold out 'till then I'll feel fortunate.

It's sooo hard to go without ins.....not only because everything is so expensive, but so scarey that something catastrophic might happen.

Best of luck to you***Jole***
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, you do know that it is 23 mos from the date of your disability, not the approval, right?

If there is a major medical center hospital near you, they usually have healthcare based on ability to pay until your 'Care kicks in.

You might also call your local SSI office and ask them the "cutoff" of income for you to be eligible for Medicaid until the Medicare starts.

It is awful how we who are sick cannot get the care we need in this, supposedly the greatest country on earth.

I hope you find a solution to this....