Social Security Question...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2thFairyIsBroke, Nov 5, 2002.

1. 2thFairyIsBroke

2thFairyIsBroke New Member

I have applied and been denied twice and I am working now on the third try. The question I have is...do they take into consideration that there is a spousal income? I thought they didn't but lately I have heard differently.
  2. 2thFairyIsBroke

2thFairyIsBroke New Member

I have applied and been denied twice and I am working now on the third try. The question I have is...do they take into consideration that there is a spousal income? I thought they didn't but lately I have heard differently.
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

It depends. There are two types of SS you might have applied for, SSI and SSDI. SSI is based on household income, or rather lack of it, and SSDI is based on your paying into SS for a certain number of years. For SSDI your spouse's income doesn't count for or against you. For SSI it does.

Barbara
  4. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

But I was on SSD when I got married & the amount didn't change - I believe they go by how much you made in the last 4 quarters or something......it was 8 years ago so I forget. Amy
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Find a good disability atty. who can help you with your case. Almost everyone is turned down twice before it goes to a hearing. The whole process can take two years from start to finish.

Love, Mikie
  6. robsgal15

robsgal15 New Member

Everyone is turned down at least once, if it is not evident that you are disabled, such as being hospitalized for long periods of time, etc.

Your disability lawyer will do everything for you, they are versed in how to present your case to show that you have an illness that prevents you from being able to carry on daily activities.

In my opinion, it's worth the fee that the lawyer charges, and I think most don't collect unless you win. It's hard enough having an illness that causes you so much pain.

You should also be aware that when and if you do win your case, that your disability payments go back to when you first applied and you will be awarded money for this time period also.

Wishing you the best of luck!!
  7. Dawnt

Dawnt Member

I had just recently been married. My income went from 0 to well above average. I had mentioned to my lawyer that I did marry and asked if that would cause an issue with the case. She said it depends on my husbands income. There was something about a Title 2, that she didn't have time to explain to me but was going to fax the information to me. Still waiting. So I am curious to know also.
    Dawn
  8. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I agree with Mikie..........I would go the lawyer route, it's just a lot less physcially and emotionally draining..To me it's worth paying them the money if you are awarded......
    Take Care.........Donna

At my hearing before being approved, they asked all kinds of questions, husbands income, year of car, mortgage payment, any home equity loans, etc. the whole nine yards..
    My monthly payment is based on the years I worked and how much I earned in those years of working - Thats with SSD.....
    I worked from the time I graduated from high school and payed in for SS, so that is how they calculate your payment.......Understand, or am I confusing you more....
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2002]
  9. PARKSMAM

PARKSMAM New Member

WE FILED FOR SSDI ON AUG. 1ST, 2002. LAST WEEK THEY HAD US GO TO A DR. OF THEIR CHOICE FOR A CONSULTATION. BASICALLY, THE DR. DOESN'T ASK YOU ANYTHING, OR TELL YOU ANYTHING. THE NURSE TOOK OUR MEDS AND WROTE THEM DOWN. THE DR. BASICALLY JUST DID A PHYSICAL EXAM. THEY WANT TO KNOW IF YOU CAN AMBULATE.
    SS PAID FOR THIS VISIT, IT DIDN'T COST US ANYTHING. NOW WE WAIT. EVERY ATTORNEY WE CONTCATED, WILL NOT TAKE OUR CASE UNTIL WE ARE DENIED ONCE. SO WE WAIT.

SSI IS BASED ON YOUR HOUSEHOLD INCOME. OURS WAS DENIED BECAUSE I WORK AND HAVE A DECENT INCOME.