SocialSecurity Back-pay check...TOTAL in one check?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Oct 25, 2005.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I won my disability case after 4 wretched years. Finally, 4 additional months after favorable decision, I got a backpay check. It is less than half of what my total amount is supposed to be (they did send me notice with an accounting of the total some weeks ago).

I'm assuming that it is a partial payment and I'll receive the difference in another check or 2. Unfortunately, I have not had a checking account these years, so they could not direct deposit.

I know I could just call S.S office, but I'm still so amazed and happy to have won, I'm paranoid about any direct communication. As in..."oh, it's YOU. Yes, that positive decision was a big mistake and..."

So, first I'm asking the board if any of you know whether it would be normal to receive "the big one" in installments.

THANK YOU
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i tried to read your bio first to see if you have children.

if you have child under 18 years, then send out yours first then they send out your childrens funds later. if that is the case you need to call you local rep and schedula an appt to get those funds released to the children. they didn't tell me that in the award letter. i had to figure that one on my own.

also you may collected what you think you are supposed to get to opposed to what they believe you should get. did you get worker's comp or disablity insurance papyments. they take that into consedartion as well. so you need to call and discuss this on the phone and schedule to get the paperwork going for payments for any children that may be intitled to this. they want to make sure you understand the rules on spending their money and how it is supposed to be accountable. for audits?

i had my hearing and won on 7/8/04 got my money january 20, 2005, i am waiting for my son's apportionmnet of over 11 thousand still to this day. i have my congressman working on it right now......

plus i have an open case for ssdi that rule fully favorably at the initial level but some how is getting reviewed by random selelction. so they are working on that for me as well.

this has been a complicated murphy's law since i first applied in march 2002....first told that i needed to be off for one first before i could apply at all, i was given incorrect information....so it started all from there...to now.

well good luck

3. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Upon receiving my first back pay check I realized it was short so I called the SSA. I was told they automatically withheld a percent (25% I think was the amount) for the attorney, even though the amount withheld was much more than the attorney was to receive. After the attorney responded to the SSA saying he received his fee ($5300 was the max amount allowed by law), they released the additional amount to me in a second check.

This may or may not be the reason your check is short you should contact the SSA immediately to verify the reason yours is not the expected amount.
    It could also be taxes, if you chose to have your taxes taken out now as opposed to paying them later.
    but again the only way to know for sure is to call. I know its scary dealing with the SSA and you always feel like the rug is going to be pulled out from under you at any moment... I felt the same way. I refused to believe I had won until I received the Fully Favorable letter even though I had a bench decision and I didn't use the money for anything until the time frame had expired for a review by the Appeals Board. They really keep you on egg shells don't they.

Sincerely
    JL

4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Sleepyinlalaland:
    My back payment came in four checks over two weeks.
    I hope that helps.
    And: I did call them to speed it up.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

everyone for your input. You helped reassure me before I called my attorney who explained that YES, checks over a certain amount are always split up. After the initial chunk, they have up to 6 months to distribute the rest. (!!)

Oh well, I've waited this long. It will be a nice amount, but barely enough considering I owe relatives who helped me and will have to start over (no car, home, etc.) I'm not complaining, just really relieved, and feel very fortunate.

I don't know if my children would qualify or not. Although they were under 18 when I applied, they were no longer enrolled in school. The upheaval was too much for them and they both got mono and....Anyway, they got GEDs and both managed to get into college. My understanding is that they were supposed to have been attending school in order to qualify for benefits. I think I couldn't bear to undergo any more bureaucracy for it (they were both close to 18 at the time).

Again, thanks all.
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i would defintley call your attorney and ask them if you children would qualify for the additional money.

if they do it will be well worth the time to go down to the local office ss# that is and get the retoactive pay started..there isn't hardly any paperwork to fill out just a signature or two, they just want to basically let you know what the rules are on spending the funds in there names....

so if you are entitiled to it take it, why give it away is my opinion. it just is so easy to fill out the form and the caseworker fills out the forms on a computer generated form with their names and birthdates, etc... you just signed it and get a copy of it and then the waiting begins again.

i have over 11 thousand still coming to me for my son. so it is worth it i must say...

jodie