Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I get Soma through a special company in the UK (my doctor has to write a letter every year for them to order it from pharmaceutical companies in Europe) but it is due to be disontinued completely in the EU soon.

The company say they may be able to source it for me from the USA but not if it contains bovine ingredients as they have rules about mad cow disease risk and importing drugs with this risk.

My first question is what brands are available in the US?

My second question is does Soma contain bovine ingredients of any kind?

My third question is is there any danger of Soma also being discontinued in the USA?

Please help if you can as I'm not getting any answers in the UK and this med is really helpful to me.

Bunchy x
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Please anyone?
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

According to a couple of different website, the ingredients of Soma are: carisoprodol, alginic acid, magnesium stearate, potassium sorbate, starch, and tribasic calcium phosphate. I am not sure exactly what the first two are, but I am almost positive that they do not come from cows.

I don't know if it is in danger of being discontinued here. I have not heard anything, but haven't been paying that much attention either, bc I do not take it.
  4. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I was pretty certain there are no ingredients from cows too.

From what I have read there isn't any immediate danger of discontinuation in the US.

I wouldn't mind more input from others though if possible.

Also any info on Brands available as my pharmacy can then contact them to see if they would be willing to let the company I get them from to import them for me.

Thanks again :)

Love Bunchy x

5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Can anyone else who takes Soma help me out here??
  6. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I took Soma years ago and then they had switched me to Flexeril (another muscle relaxant) because I was told they didn't like to use Soma long term because it has a higher chance for addiction and then withdrawal.

I do not need either now but Flexeril may be another option for you.

7. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

A rep from the FDA recommended the following website to me because I have celiac and discovered the hard way that some of my meds contained gluten. Not sure if you'll get all the info you need but it may help.

I take SOMA and have not heard that it would be discontinued.

Good luck,
  8. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I just heard from my pharmacist today that they can get it for me from the US (Watson brand) if it gets discontinued in the EU which probably won't be for a while longer anyway after all - phew, what a relief :)

Love Bunchy x