Soma?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Has anyone tried Soma for pain? My doctor prescribed it when I asked about muscle relaxants for FM (something someone suggested to me), not as an every-day thing, but as an every-now-and-then sort of thing, when the pain gets unbearable. I just don't know much about it, so I'd appreciate any input.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've taken Soma for the past two years. I've found it to be the most effective of the muscle relaxers. It relaxes the muscles, so I guess it does help with the muscle type pain, but it's not really a pain reliever to me - none of the muscle relaxers are.

The first person to prescribe it to me was my diagnosing rheumatologist, then it has been recommended by my PCP, my 2nd opinion rheumy (who I see every 6 months) and also the pain clinic that I went to once.

My mom has takes Soma when she has muscles spasms - she's had some bad ones that actually landed her in the hospital.

Unfortunately, I have such a high tolerance to everything it seems that I can't even tell if I've taken the Soma - that or my muscle aches are just too bad. (definitely that way on some days!!)

As I said, I've tried Flexiril and Robaxin and neither are as strong or helpful as Soma.

I'd definitely try it!!
    Janalynn
  3. klcooper

klcooper New Member

I take it every night before bed. It does help with the pain somewhat and allows me to sleep through the entire night and wake up rested but not groggy. Take it early enough so you'll get the full effect and can still get up on time. One side effect if you take it too late or not with enough water you will feel it in the morning.

I do take flexiril at night (can't take during the day-makes me sleepy) now too because I suffer with myofacial pain really bad in my back. It helps to relax the muscles.

I would say give it a try, it's worth it for me. It's one thing that has truly helped with my sleep and you can adjust as needed, more or less, at least it works for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2009]
  4. BleuSox

BleuSox New Member

Soma can also be purchased as a generic, works as well. "Corsiprodol". Have been taking it for over10 years. Was prescribed for 3x a day. When taken as diredted it helps with sleep and does relax muscles.

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2009]
  5. klcooper

klcooper New Member

Yes, I've used the generic and the actual Soma, there's no difference except saving money, it's just as effective as the real thing.
  6. lukelinnmark

lukelinnmark New Member

YES I WOULD GIVE IT A TRY I'VE BEEN ON IT ABOUT 4-6MONTHS NOW AND ITS THE ONLY 1 THAT REALLY WORKS FOR ME.I TAKE IT 3 TIMES A DAY.HOPE IT WORKS AS WELL FOR YOU.MARK
  7. forgetfullme46

forgetfullme46 New Member

Hi, I am pretty new to this forum but I have tried Soma and it worked okay. It didn't do much for my pain but I did sleep a little better than I do now. I am currently taking AmbienCR which helps me sleep much better than the Soma. As far as the pain goes it didn't work well for me. I didn't have any bad side effects though so that's a good thing. I hope this bit of information helps.