SOMA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2BPainfree, Nov 20, 2002.

1. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Question: I am interested in finding out how many people here take Soma for Sleep and-or for pain. Do you only take it at night, or do you take it during the day?

I took a Soma last night...I've had the prescription for a LONG time but never use it (hate muscle relaxers, but my back hurt so bad all day) Anyway....I slept great! Almost feel refreshed...almost. I've been up about an hour and I am just now beginning to feel a bit tired again.

Would LOVE to hear from anyone else with their med experiances.

Susan/Calif
  2. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Question: I am interested in finding out how many people here take Soma for Sleep and-or for pain. Do you only take it at night, or do you take it during the day?

I took a Soma last night...I've had the prescription for a LONG time but never use it (hate muscle relaxers, but my back hurt so bad all day) Anyway....I slept great! Almost feel refreshed...almost. I've been up about an hour and I am just now beginning to feel a bit tired again.

Would LOVE to hear from anyone else with their med experiances.

Susan/Calif
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

in the mornings with pain meds when I need them. The Soma doesn't make me sleepy, although when I took it some years ago it did. I take Zanaflex instead and bedtime with Elavil, but for me, the Soma works well during the daytime when I have to work.
  4. achy

achy New Member

It has worked better than anything. I tried deseryl, made me stupid for two days..flexeril did nothing...etc
    I take 1/2 Soma before bed - 1 whole if I'm really hurting.
    I also take 1/2 Soma in the AM with my Oxy. If it's a bad day I take anohter 1/2 around 2-3:00. It sometimes makes me a bit drowsey, but what doesn't. I can function, including drive with 1/2 dose.
    I don't know about the sleep though. I rarely, if ever sleep thru the night. Maybe 2-3 hrs then I wake up. I do efentually go back to sleep. If I can't I take 1/2 Xanax and it's lullaby land until 5:30 or so.

Try it for a while...some of the tiredness will wear off.
    But, some also say it's adicting. I haven't had any prob. with this. I occasionally stop all meds for a day or two and take Milk Thistle to give my liver a break. Haven't noticed and ill effects, other than increased pain, naturally. Good Luck
    Warm Fuzzies
    QAchy
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

My primary put me on Soma as an alternative to helping my pain from FM.
    The first pill I took was around noon. Within 30 minutes, I felt dizzy and sounded goofy when I spoke. I went to bed and slept it off.

So, I started taking it at night only, but it never really helped me. I discontinued the drug.
    Darvocet and Klonopin, especially the Klonopin have been my lifesavers up till now.

granmama

6. kita309

kita309 New Member

those have been a lifesaver for me. sometimes i feel like i am going to go crazy when i start hurting because I can not even tell you what is hurting. I just know that I hurt. other that my back and arms hurting. the ultram really takes the edge off of me and helps me function somewhat like a normal person. flexiril does nothing for me other than give me a hangover. a dull feeling all day. but i have changed doctors and have to go through all this again with them trying what they think should help you. They will not give me what works untill they try there thing. i just have to keep going back and tell them that the last thing that they gave me is not working. untill they give you the good stuff.
  7. allhart

allhart New Member

my husband has been taking it off and on for five years its the only mucsle relaxer that helps his back, he has to take it 3 times a day
    it dose help him sleep
    it didnt realy help me sleep but did help my muscle pain alittle
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

t.i.d. and prn for me, but I only take it at bedtime (2 tabs) now. I find that I keep up a routine, without feeling druggy, if I just take it this way. IF I feel tight in my muscles, I may take one, but I haven't done this in a long time. I did notice that I hurt a lot worse today after not taking them last night. I wanted to see if the Oxy and one Ultram would suffice~~~they didn't. I am not gonna try that again.
    Love,
    Kady
  9. tamara123

tamara123 New Member

Yes, soma works for me, but I have to take it 4 times a day....however, my dr thinks this is too much. This is the Only thing I am taking besides the Guif and Effexor....I have never been given the option for Oxy and not sure if she would even conside it seeing as how much she hates the soma.