some air purifiers are dangerous

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Feb 13, 2007.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

This is the best article I've found concerning air purifiers. We need to stay away from all of those that DO NOT have a carbon filter. I just bought one for my truck that I'm going to throw away. I also was considering getting a personal one to wear around my neck.<www.miamiferret.org/fhc/ozone.htm>
  2. bewell4

bewell4 New Member

just wanted to say thanks. i was considering one, so i could get around by taxi (paid for) and not get totally sick from all the perfume, etc. now i am re-considering. :)
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think these ozone air purifiers are the kind sold at Shaper Image etc. I personally have always been suspicious of those.

Is it really the carbon filter that's the issue though? I only read the article quickly, but I didn't see anything about carbon filters.

I have one really good air purifier (Austin Healthmate) that I use in my bedroom but which is strong enough to clean the air in the whole house if I turn it on high. The kind I bought is supposed to remove pollutants and bacteria as well as ordinary dirt. It has a carbon filter in it.

I have a couple of older air filters that do not have carbon in them, though. I don't think they are nearly as good as the Healthmate, but I'm still not under the impression that they're _dangerous_.

Have you come across more information in your readings that I should know about?

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have a couple of ozone generators that we have used for years to get rid of mold, bacteria and odors. However we don't run them when we are in the room/house and air it out well first. Two of my machines do have switches that will keep the ozone below OSHA standards so that basically you're just running them as ionizers instead.

For my constant use air cleaners I do use the dual filter with HEPA and a charcoal filter.

I have to say that the worst exposure I had to ozone was working in offices. Copy machines especially give off ozone and are supposed to have charcoal filters that are changed frequently. I had severe lung irritation at one job where the large copy machine was in a small room with no ventilation. I finally got the owner to keep the filters changed.

Ozone is much more irritating in a dry climate...when we lived in a very humid area I didn't notice any problems being around a generator short-term because the O1 combines with the water in the air and creates hydrogen peroxide. But in Colorado where the humidity is very low I can't tolerate even a minute or two of exposure.

Jan
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Yes, that's the word I was looking for! I just was not in the mood to go look. That's what I have in my older air purifiers.

Other air filters may be better, but I've never heard that HEPA is bad. Is it?

Best, Lisa

[This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

So the Austin Healthmate that I have is supposed to go for five years without a filter change of any kind. I paid something like $600 for it. If you do change the filters after five years (rather than getting a new machine), it costs something like $300.

Everything I've read gives this particular brand very high reviews. Do you have doubts?

Best, Lisa

8. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

We brought home my mother's Austin Air Healthmate when she moved into a nursing facility. I wanted to replace the filter before using it because her home was so moldy and I thought it would be best to start with a clean filter in our home.

However the main filters are incredibly expensive - up to $250. Do you know of a good source for replacement filters (you can't list their web address but just a company name would be fine)?

Thanks!

Jan
  9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

No, I've only found the expensive ones. But for filters that are supposed to last for 5 years (isn't that right?), I haven't been too unhappy.

My own Healthmate was a lot older than 5 years when I replaced it, in part because we travel a good deal and I turn it off when we're gone. I decided just to get a new one, since I was afraid that mechanically it would break down.

I don't know if that was a good decision or not.

Best, Lisa

10. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I use a medium quality $12 filter for the home.

I have a separate room HEPA filter/fan made by Honeywell. Home Depot sells a variety of them. They help our allergies and drown out the teenagers who like to stay up late at night. The white noise helps me sleep.

The major source of bacteria & mold is in the Air Conditioner drain pan. It suppose to be cleaned out at the end of every A/C season. The condensate water drains out through a hole but its still wet in there and dark. Look for a door on the side, where the Freon pipes attach. Actually between the coils and the furnace is where the dust really attaches itself. Chlorine bleach or my favorite Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 are great cleaners. The H2O2 foams up when it attackes stuff and releases...Oxygen! Use an old toothbrush to work down the dust off the zig-zag fins. An old men's comb will work too if you clip off the thick ends. The fine teeth are perfect for pulling out dust. Let everything drop in the bottom of the condensate pan and rinse it out.

Dow Corning "Scrubbing Bubbles" work good too.

The best defense is your offensive move...attack the stuff at its source.
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Erik (etc.),

You motivated me enough to go examine my furnace filters.

The ones I've been using are by 3M, called "Filtrete Ultra Allergen Filter." It says it "contains electrostatically charged fibers" and "outperforms non-electrostatic filters."

The front says it is 90% effective at attracting and capturing large allergens like: pollen, mold spores and dust mite debris.

It says it also captures microscopic allergens like: smoke, pet dander, household dust, smog, bacteria and particles that can carry viruses.

It says it lasts up to 3 months, but that's not been my experience. This is a bit strange, since we had the vents cleaned about nine months ago, do not smoke or have pets, and do not live in a particularly smoggy area.

We have a split-level home, and the area in the crawl space smells a bit musty. We have no problem with water seepage at all though. Of course, with mold you never can tell.

I do have the Austin Healthmate (purchased last year) running constantly in my bedroom.

These furnace filters are quite expensive.....maybe $25-30 each.

Should I just skip it and purchase regular fiberglass filters? Or some other kind?

Best, Lisa
  12. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Both of my air purifiers have hepa filters. They also have carbon filters for odors. They make a HUGE difference in my health. When the carbon filters need to be changed my blood pressure goes up. If it were not for them, I'd have to stay outside day and nite. I recently bought an ionic pro for my truck. I only used it a few times. It caused the inside of my nose to dry out and get sores that wouldn't heal till I stopped using it.
  13. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Regular furnace filters only serve to protect the furnace + AC from damage. They are so loose that you can pour salt through them.

Perhaps the medium quality filters might be a better compromise.

Another source of airbourne allergens is dust mites. They live in duct work but really favor living off dead skin cells. The mattress and pillow are great sources. If you feel pin prick bites and sneeze when going to bed then its probably dust mites. Remove the sheet and use a vacuum cleaner with a beater bar over both sides.

The pillow can be taken outside and beaten with a broomstick.

There are hypo-allergenic mattress and pillow covers that zip closed. They keep the dead skin cells from lodging into the fabric.
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

This is getting ridiculous. I can't use cedar. I'm thinking about getting a noseectomy and breathing through my mouth. NOT funny ha ha. Funny peculiar!!!!!!!!!!