Some encouraging words please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stooges, Feb 3, 2003.

1. stooges

stooges New Member

although I'm relatively certain I've been having symptoms of FM for a long time, it has just recently kicked in hard enough to have finally been diagnosed. I have no way of knowing for sure, being new to all this, but a car accident I experienced last spring seems to have been the catalyst.

Trazadone works well for me to help me sleep, but I've been on Celebrex and Vioxx for the pain and stiffness, and now I'm starting in on Bextra.

I've always been very active and this recurring exhaustion and pain is terribly frustrating. Will there be a light at the end of my tunnel? I'm afraid I'm going to keep racing through all available medication and be left without help.

I am very lucky to have a supportive husband and daughter behind me, but I detest feeling so fragile.

I'd like to hear some positive input from fellow sufferers!

2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I'm still pretty new to this DD also and I'll admit I was a little depressed when I first came to this site. I was feeling soooo bad. I had pain like I'd never experienced before. Not so much in severity (although it was sure as heck severe) but just everyday, all the time. Never any relief. And I was so tired and I couldn't remember things. I felt worthless and I couldn't even imagine that things would ever get better. But when I came here and listened to these guys talk about all the things they have tried and what worked and what didn't, and most of the time everyone was so upbeat, I started feeling like it was worth it to start fighting back with this DD. And even though it's only been a couple of months and I still have a long way to go, I do feel better. And you can too! Don't get discouraged and don't give in.

(((hugs)))
    Annette
  3. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I've always been carefree and active. Never have been sick more than a few days with this or that flu or cold or whatever. The past 2 years have been a rude awakening as far as how fragile the body can be when sick & my condition isn't as bad as some I've read about here at the board. I have a new life style now called - pace yourself! So I take baby steps now whenever I do anything. I break things up in smaller segments so I rest in between. This works for me and keeps me busy each day as everything takes longer when you pace yourself. My hubby has been there for me and makes me feel just as lovely and fun and interesting as before I was sick. He has had to change his lifestyle too. We can't run around all day like we use to do socializing and playing and shopping, etc. He rides his bike without me now. But when he comes in I ask him all about his ride so he can share his experience. We enjoy sitting around just chatting about it. Someday I plan to ride again although I know I will probably never ride to the top of Mt. St. Helens again - slowly I am working toward a ride around the block without a reaction that puts me back a couple of days. If that doesn't work out I will settle for a walk around the block. Life is a journey and we must be flexible or break. No matter what comes your way look for a way to enjoy something on your journey so it doesn't become too hard or depressing. There are so many caring people here to share with and I know you will receive much encouragement from them. Reading the posts here has really given me a lot of encouragement as well as knowledge. Best wishes. CLD
  4. susabar

susabar New Member

I am exactly where you are now... I am having a tough time accepting my limitations etc... My employer ( a hospital no less) has zero compassion etc.. I have also loss what I thought were friends. I am in the process of re-inventing my life. I have Faith that my new life will be better than the old, in some respect. It's so difficult... Treasure your husband and make sure you let him know how much you do. My husband and I have grown closer over the last several months... I will pray that your's does too.
    Love Sue
  5. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi susabar,

I'm going through the same here. I was recently and finally diagnosed in November and I've been going through "changes". I worked out everyday before all this started and now my Dr. wants me to exercise. Last week I began exercising again , no matter how much I hurt I forced myself to. While I was exercising I felt great but after it was done not only did I have FMS pain horrible from the bad weather but I also had pain from being out of shape. I'm fighting tooth and nail, I'm not giving into this DD.
    Now I know why people experience depression with this. Long time friends have suddenly silenced themselves and I feel like I'm walking on eggshells if I do talk with them. I don't need any of that crap in my life. So it's time to start again, what doesn't kill us can only make us stronger.

Good luck,
    Lin