Some Exerpts From An Article On Marijuana As Medicine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herblady, Sep 7, 2002.

1. herblady

herblady New Member

here are a few exerpts from an article in Arthritis Today Magazine, november december 2000, the article is entitled "marijuana as medicine". interesting stuff.

- A Phase 1 clinical trial in paris this summer found that a synthetic derivative of tetrahydrocannabinol (thc), a major psychoactive component of marijuana, relieved pain and reduced inflammation without producing psychogenic effects.

in a new study released in august, the authors say their research shows one of the cannabinoids, called cannabidiol, suppressed progression of disease and joint damage in mice that had been injected with collagen to produce an arthritis-like disease. the study, from the Kennedy Institution of Rheumatology in london and Hebrew University in jerusalem, also showed that cannabidiol suppressed the release of tumor necrosis factor (tnf), which is known to contribute to RA, in test tube studies of cells from these mice.

even though they distilled cannabidiol from a powerful, concentrated form of marijuana called hashish, it is not psychoactive and wouldn't make users "high".

- our bodies may even be wired for cannabis: studies show that we have brain cell receptors for cannabinoids, such as delta-9tetrahydrocannabinol, which is better known as thc. our body even makes some cannabinoid-like substances called anandamides.

"the spinal cord is loaded with cannabinoid receptors," says michael j. walker, phd, chairman of psychology at Brown University in providence, r.i., and a professor of neuroscience.

"these cannabinoid compounds apparently reduce swelling from inflammation," explains walker, who has been researching marijuana for more than a decade. "but more than that, they kill the pain from inflammation specifically. they work on the peripheral nerves that carry pain from your joint into the spinal cord."

on the down side:

- but some powerful drawbacks tend to be downplayed by medical marijuana proponents. the Institute of Medicine's report also found that marijuana smoke is much more toxic than tobacco smoke, and urged research into synthetic forms and smokeless delivery systems. cigarette for cigarette, the smoke of marijuana is by far more harmful to the lung than tobacco smoke, says donald tashkin, md, a pulmonary expert who has studied the effects of marijuana on the lungs for decades.

well, that is a concern for me, since i have emphysema. but if they go ahead and start making synthetic cannabinoids that don't have to be smoked, well it seems perfectly safe to me. what do you think? cindi
  2. herblady

herblady New Member

here are a few exerpts from an article in Arthritis Today Magazine, november december 2000, the article is entitled "marijuana as medicine". interesting stuff.

- A Phase 1 clinical trial in paris this summer found that a synthetic derivative of tetrahydrocannabinol (thc), a major psychoactive component of marijuana, relieved pain and reduced inflammation without producing psychogenic effects.

in a new study released in august, the authors say their research shows one of the cannabinoids, called cannabidiol, suppressed progression of disease and joint damage in mice that had been injected with collagen to produce an arthritis-like disease. the study, from the Kennedy Institution of Rheumatology in london and Hebrew University in jerusalem, also showed that cannabidiol suppressed the release of tumor necrosis factor (tnf), which is known to contribute to RA, in test tube studies of cells from these mice.

even though they distilled cannabidiol from a powerful, concentrated form of marijuana called hashish, it is not psychoactive and wouldn't make users "high".

- our bodies may even be wired for cannabis: studies show that we have brain cell receptors for cannabinoids, such as delta-9tetrahydrocannabinol, which is better known as thc. our body even makes some cannabinoid-like substances called anandamides.

"the spinal cord is loaded with cannabinoid receptors," says michael j. walker, phd, chairman of psychology at Brown University in providence, r.i., and a professor of neuroscience.

"these cannabinoid compounds apparently reduce swelling from inflammation," explains walker, who has been researching marijuana for more than a decade. "but more than that, they kill the pain from inflammation specifically. they work on the peripheral nerves that carry pain from your joint into the spinal cord."

on the down side:

- but some powerful drawbacks tend to be downplayed by medical marijuana proponents. the Institute of Medicine's report also found that marijuana smoke is much more toxic than tobacco smoke, and urged research into synthetic forms and smokeless delivery systems. cigarette for cigarette, the smoke of marijuana is by far more harmful to the lung than tobacco smoke, says donald tashkin, md, a pulmonary expert who has studied the effects of marijuana on the lungs for decades.

well, that is a concern for me, since i have emphysema. but if they go ahead and start making synthetic cannabinoids that don't have to be smoked, well it seems perfectly safe to me. what do you think? cindi
  3. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

lol, but serious. I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to get any marijuana, esp. to know that it was not laced w/ anything "bad"...from your previous article, cindi.

I actually tried this to help my endo pain years ago, but I was surprised that I had an almost paranoid spell, although it did help the pain. It had probably been at least 10 yrs since I had smoked some for recreational purposes...never had that reaction before. I would think that just like with any medicine, you would want to start out slow to minimize side effects.

Thanks for all the info on this subject. Michele
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I use a pipe with a screen, and I clean them often. I can't smoke a joint, it's to harsh, so I use the pipe, and not a waterpipe, never could get the Hang of thoes.

I also have chronic brhoncitis, and believe it or not, it really helps to relax the muscles in your lungs. Do we have muscles there? Anywho, after the first "Toke", lol,
    I don't even cough, and I do breathe better, I don't like using an Inhaler, so as long as I have some Smoke around I don't have to.

I have never had an Anxiety attack while on it, but back in 1985, I had an attack and I had quit smoking back then.
    It does relax me, but as with anything, we don't all get the same effect's from Med's, the old what works for one, dosen't work for another routine.

Hope you all have a Wonderful Sunday,
    kredca4/sharon
    [This Message was Edited on 09/08/2002]
  5. Coping

Coping New Member

I think the "relaxing the lungs" that was mentioned is what caused my panic attack the last time I tried it. I was so comfy I forgot to breath and when I realized it, I hyperventilated. LOL

Does anyone know if it there are interactions with other medications?

Very very interesting article. I think if I decide to try it, I'll print that article and carry it with me. LOL
    (as if I ever go anywhere)

I've had my 4 yr old grandson and my 6 week old granddaughter here this weekend. The baby girl was only here with my son for the day yesterday. I don't know how people with FMS CFS OA or whatever can do it. I was in MEGA pain last night. Should have snuck outside to my neighbors for a hooter.

Have a great Sunday!
    Tricia
  6. herblady

herblady New Member

one a LONG time ago i has a paranoid spell after smoking. i'm sure it was laced with something, i never felt weird like that before. yes we do have muscle there, smooth muscle, involuntary muscle which can spasm with lung diseases, most notably with asthma. anyway, looks like they're working on a way for us to get the phtochemicals without having to get high and not have to do anything illegal. those kinds of things take years though. but it's something to look forward to. cindi
  7. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

....article! Thanks for sharing this, Cindi. I had heard about the cigarette to cigarette harm comparison, but not the cannabinoid receptors on the spinal column. Fascinating stuff! If this FMS memory 'THANG' weren't so darn bad, I'd LOVE to study more about bio-chemistry, and really try and figure out more of this stuff.

As part of nutrition training, I learned there are over 400 active chemicals in marijuana! Seems like an awful lot. Now that researchers are beginning to isolate and understand the effects of some of those 400, perhaps it won't be too long before we actually see synthesized versions in pharmacies.

Several folks, throughout the different MJ posts, have said something along the lines that marijuana is just an herb (implying that there is less danger than from 'drugs'). Remember, OPIUM is just an herb, too, and many of its' derivitives can, easily, have fatal consequences. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% in favor of legalizing pot, across the board, medicinal or not. But, and perhaps you see this too, Cindi?, people are too ready to discount any dangers that may be present with herbal use. Organic or synthetic, a drug is a drug.

Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  8. ali-may

ali-may New Member

I agree - I don't smoke but I think it should be maybe not "legalised", but instead "decriminalised". There's a slight difference there, it just means that no one will be charged with a crime if they happen to smoke, possess or grow MJ. "Legalisation" could lead to things like tobacco manufacturers getting a monopoly on it and all of the bad things that happen when free market forces come into effect!

But anyway, yes, just because something is a herb it doesn't mean that it is totally safe. It's important to treat all herbs with caution, even the ones that we buy packaged by the supplement companies - ie, follow the dosage instructions and watch out for potential drug interactions.

You may have heard that in New Zealand we have this political party called the Greens - very environmentally friendly, strong advocates of natural health, and supporters of decriminalisation. What impresses me most about their MJ law reform policy is that they want it to be treated as not a police issue, but a health issue. They want decriminalisation, plus a whole set of very sensible rules, plus more drug education that focuses on the health effects of MJ plus other drugs. Unfortunately the Greens didn't make it into government (DESPITE a good show of support) - I won't go into the in's and out's of this country's political system, but basically a bad decision was made in regard to the power sharing of this government, and the Greens were royally snubbed. :( Oh well, maybe next time!

Alison
  9. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks so much for the artical,im one who belives there is a remidie for everything somewhere in nature,even though i use more manufaterd cures then natrual ,we all have to remember drug company make billons off of pain meds what would happen if all of us stopp taking our scipts and started growing our own med?how would our drs and politains afford there vactions and new cars with out the bounuses?and just think of all the money our citys get for busting pot dealers and taking there money,and the grant money they get for the war on drugs,would we realy want all these people to suffer just because we are in pain and need some relife?
    i say hell yes tax the heck out of achol so the drunk cant afford to as much to drink so maybe when he or she gets in there car they wont kill somebody!
    if we smoke pot to help relive our pain were doing it at home were not purposely going somewhere and getting drinks then getting in our cars to drive back home!
    sorry for the vent i feel better now i hope i didnt affend anyone as a child of 2 acoholics i dont have many grate veiws about drinking more then once in a while.
    dose anyone know when pot actually became illagal? i bet it was propley within the last 50 years or so if anyone knows please share i think that would be interesting,[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2002]
  10. sybil

sybil New Member

for the article,very useful!
    i intend to take my marijuana via food,spaghetti sauce as you suggested is a good idea and i have come up with some others of my own!
    chilli,curries,apple and cinnamon herb tea.

sybilxxx
  11. herblady

herblady New Member

a lot of herbs have side effects, you just don't hear about them. licorice root is a wonderful healing substance but it acts the same as corticosteroids, can cause a lot of fluid retention and raise blood pressure. gingko biloba is a blood thinner and should not taken with other blood thinners such as coumadin. comfrey, one of the best healing plants around cannot be taken internally, it can do liver damage. same with coltsfoot, although i use it and have had no ill effects. this is why i want to get my master herbalist so i can teach basic herbal classes to the community so they will be informed. cindi
  12. ali-may

ali-may New Member

Pot was made illegal early in the 20th century. There's a very interesting documentary about it called 'Grass' - this should be easily available on video. The film calls attention to the outbreak of panic over marijuana, and steps that have been taken by various US governments. It's very pro-MJ and it is narrated by Woody Harrelson!

BTW Cindi, you will make a wonderful educator! Good luck with that! :D

Alison
  13. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

helped a lot. We want to get it legalised. We never would have made it through school or collage w/o it. Docs didn't give meds back then and you had to fend for yourselves. Draw backs maybe, but you don't need that much, a couple puffs through out the day and you don't have to get high. Every few hours a puff or 2. It would probably be eqivelant to 1/2 a pack of cigerets a day. Long ago we read that a gram a day would be equal to 1/2 a pack to a pack of cigerettes a day. There are pros and cons for every thing. You just have to weigh the pros from the cons. We have truly thought about moving to a state that allows it for medical purposes.

Cindi, THC is alredy out there and for many decades. I wouldn't do anything that would exasberbate another condition. I hope they get it together. It can help so many from cancer to us!

Thanks for the artical. Kim and Gary
  14. herblady

herblady New Member

thanks. it's one of my dreams. the other is to start my own herbal company. i make so many different kinds of medicines already, good ones. i have to get lab equipment to do it professionally. and i've learned to make some pretty good herbal skin care products. my next project is to learn to make natural herbal soaps. cindi
  15. Antenbunny

Antenbunny New Member

I am really considering smoking a little pot for pain and sleep. I'm nervous about it. I smoked pot when I was a kid, I'n now 45 and it freaks me out. I hated it when I stopped why back then. Any body have any experience with it now.
  16. Notonline

Notonline New Member

Yep, I smoked a little in high school, but soon gave it up. Now that I have asthma, I'm more than a little leary to try...but I did read while searching Google one day that you can use it in a vaporizer or grow it as sprouts...interesting to say the least.
  17. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Yes, I do smoke it on occassion and it does tend to help with pain and relaxation, or at least keeps my mind off the pain for a little while. I would like to know what you do to use it in food though? Someone said that they eat it in spaghetti sauce, etc, and was wondering (if I'm allowed to even ask on here) how do you "cook it" so that you can eat it and don't have to smoke it?
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You throw it into the sauce just like oregano.

Love, Mikie
  19. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

anymore, and have wondered if there is any risk to the oral use of MJ..I don't know if that has ever been studied, because they are always pointing to the risks of the smoking of it..You can put it into any food you want to, but goes, especially well, with spaghetti and brownies..Wish I had some now...I remember how it made any food taste so gooooooooooood.....of course, that is afterward a few tokes....

To Herblady...I would like to educate myself on herbs..What books do you recommend? Now, I have heard of a Master Gardener, which has been in my plans, but not a Master Herbalist...is there an organization or educational program one could get access to over the net? Thanks for your help...

~AMELIA~[This Message was Edited on 04/08/2003]