Some good news: my insurance approved my go-chair/scooter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Aug 28, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I can walk short distance (about thirty feet) but I can't stand long enough to cook or prepare meals. I thought Lovelace, my insurance company, would reject my claim outright, since I can walk a bit.

My doctor submitted a request for a power chair or scooter to Lovelace. Lovelace then requested that I see a physical or occupational therapist for an evaluation. I went to see an O.T., who sent her evaluation to Lovelace.

It's nice to see insurance companies coming around a bit, and I can't believe they approved my chair. I'll probably get a go-chair--a sort of combination electric scooter/wheelchair that can be used inside and out.

I encourage more people who have severe limitations to ask their doctors to submit a request to their insurance companies. It is supposed to be primarily for indoor use, and if you can walk any substantial distance or stand for any length of time, they will probably reject your claim. But it can't hurt to try.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Now you can have races w/ Wendy.

3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I can't wait for the races. I'm so glad you were approved.

Marta
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

next week.Even though It's not new.I can't wait.30 ft.is about what I walk too.Linda
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

A friend of mine built a wooden ramp for our front step--only about a 4 inch rise--and now I will be able to get outside, to the mailbox, and down to the park regularly!

What kind of scooter is your friend giving you?

Ken

6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Khomes:

Congratulation on the scooter/or anything motorized.

I imagine that it will happen to some of us sooner or later.

I will put it off as long as I can.

nyrofan
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

good for you...it is nice to get it when you need it..

jodie
  8. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I am happy for you. I think I need to see about doing the same. How far can you walk before you can get help?

I know I can walk farther than 30' but not very far without becoming totally exhausted. I get exhausted standing which keeps me from doing most everything.

I would like to have some type of life again and I'm tired of waiting to get better. I feel I would get better if I could become more mobile. I'm missing out on life but of course you understand that.

I hope this helps you. Keep us informed.
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I always see the ads on TV for them, and how many insurance companies will pay for them, and I always wonder what criteria they use to approve the cost---I'm so glad that someone with our illnesses can get approved. This is great!

As you said, if you need it, it never hurts to apply, all they can do is turn you down. I'm glad you got one!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My CFS keeps me on about a 30 foot tether. Hypotension, tightness in the chest, and headaches/head pressure keep me from being able to walk more right now. In addition to trips to the bathroom, I can only walk from the bedroom to the living room or kitchen about four times a day. I can stand in the kitchen for about five minutes. This is definitely better than last year, but I still have a long way to go.

(All this from a guy who used to climb Colorado mountains and hike the Grand Canyon)

Ken
  11. spacee

spacee Member

I think a scooter is very wise and happy that your insurance paid for it. It sounds like it will be quite liberating for you to be able to get to the park.

I wish for you cotinued improvement!

Spacee
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Congrats on your new wheels...but tell the truth...

Are you gonna get tassels and a horn for it too??

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Must make you feel like a kid again! How nice for you to be able to get around again.

Hooray. I love good news.

(-:

Sue
  14. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Ken:

Glad you got some good news! Enjoy. Do not go too fast!

Ingrid
  15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Mayline: Good luck; I hope your insurance accepts your doctor's request, too.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2006]