Some good news: my LT disability claim was approved.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Feb 24, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The Standard Insurance called yesterday and told me they've approved my long-term disability claim for CFS. The first check, with backpay back to fall of '05, will be in the mail next week. This has been a stressful two-year battle, but we didn't have to take them to court.

In my claim, I had three letters of testimony from doctors, as well as letters from colleagues, family, and friends testifying to my disability. I also saw an independent medical examiner a month ago. I imagine his report carried the most weight.

I am hoping and praying that with each victory, it will be easier for others who are disabled with CFS or Fibro to earn benefits from private insurance companies in the future.
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I've heard that LTD is harder to get than SSDI. I guess the insurance companies are tighter than the US Govt...
    So consider your victory a big one and enjoy it. Life just got a little easier and less stressful!

Congrats again
    Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2007]
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

So this is LTD through your employer that you have paid for? You didn;t have to get an atty? How long did it take though?

What is an independent medical examiner?
  4. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Great news!

I hope this releases some pressure and allows for some healing :)

scapper
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

That is great.

My LTD has been denied so far. They had me go ahead and file for SSDI which has been granted but I am having to jump through hoops trying to get the LTD...

Sigh!
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

That was a long time, wasn't it? Good for you. Marie
  7. roge

roge Member

congrats

LTD is harder to get than SSD or CPP in canada IMO

glad you are approved but unfortunately the battle wont end there, I hope it does for you but I just can't see it and so I prepare you to be cautious and stay on your toes. I battled my insurer for 2 years after getting approved and between dealing with my illness I was essentially my own lawyer and it was just too much for me. How can I get better when over half my energy is spent on these scum bags. It was costly but got a lawyer at the 2 year mark of my LTD last June to ease the load for me and to give a stong signal to the insurer to not f*&k with me anymore.

The whole LTD industry is disgusting (we pay our premiums) and yet we are guilty of malingering until proven otherwise and sujected to harrassment and video surveillance and much more despite being sick. The so called "independent" exams they sent me to were a complete joke, one doctor doesnt in believe in FM or CFS and of course they tried to turn it into a mental thing with another doctor. They batter and pound you to wear you down so you either give up or take much less to eventually settle out of court to get them out of your life.

In another life I suppose or hopefuly once I get better I would or i can devote my career to some how trying to reform this whole area (private LTD) and even public disability programs as the way it is now (although better than in past for FM and CFS) , it is unjust and disgustig how the claimant is treated and how much work and energy is required to get approved and even while approved. I am sure it is worse for so called syndromes like FM and ME/CFS but I have heard even people with cancer who were focred to tears by their insurers because of how they were treated, absolutely shameful and disguting how they get away with this and makes me even sicker knowing these insurers are raking in billions in profits too.

peace
  8. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I am happy for you! yeah! It is so encouraging.
    Not to change this to me, but I keep getting asked "everyday" at my house, do you think we need to do this or that? I am getting annoyed and have to keep my cool, I am a shopper on my "good" days. I am poor now after "having to" (laying over my keyboard at work, so sick ) quit my favorite job last month and I applied for ssdi/ssi the next day... And paying for Cobra ins.
    So we are doing the waiting game, we know we will have to be patient. It isn't easy when you are used to being so independent.
    Ginner

9. Ginner

Ginner New Member

I was told from my employer to go to ssdi for my disibility although we had std and ltd?
    Has anyone else experienced that?
    I fell and broke my shoulder at Christmas ( the dd ) 2 yrs ago and std from work went into effect immediately.