Some Nutritional Help For FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herblady, Sep 3, 2002.

1. herblady

herblady New Member

hopefully this might help some people.

A Natural Approach To Healthy Living
    By Lucinda Jenkins LPNHC
    Facing Fibromyalgia

So you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? Bummer, because this is a painful and obnoxious disease. Eighty percent of the fibromyalgia patients are female. It has been classified only in the past 10 years as a disease and still somewhat of a mystery to science. I would suggest that a disease that is as common as asthma needs to be put on the forefront of research.
    Some studies show a link between Clinical Depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Espstein-Barr virus, Mononucleosis and of course Candida albicans, anemia, parasites and my own opinion and observations seems to connect it to environmental contact with chemicals.
    (but you know what they say about opinions don't ya?)
    What is known is that there is a deficient amount of magnesium in the body and an inablility to absorb magnesium. The diet should have magnesium intake increased.
    Magnesium sources are fish, apples, apricots, avocadoes, nuts, brown rice, soybeans, bananas, kelp, black eyed peas, figs, grapefruit, peaches. Alot of herbs are high in magnesium like alfalfa, bladderwrack, catnip, chickweed, dandelion, horsetail, peppermint.
    Another deficiency found in the Fibromylagia victim is the lack of Maltic Acid. This can be found in fresh apples or in a supplement form. Did you notice that apples have magnesium and maltic acid? An apple a day?.....
    You may want to curtail your consumption of the nightshade family vegetables like green peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and white potatoes. The reason for this is because they contain solanine that interferes with the muscle enzymes and this can cause pain and discomfort.
    Sleeping patterns and insomnia seem to be an issue also. You might try valerian root and skullcap capsules at night or chamomile tea before bedtime.
    Try to maintain a regular program of moderate exercise. Going for a daily walk or mild stretching exercises working up to a low-impact aerobic exercise will help. To overexert yourself can do more harm than good so take it slow building up your activity level.
    There is also another treatment called Myers Cocktail named after Dr. John Myers of Johns Hopkins University. It is a combination of IV vitamins and minerals. It is reported that over 80% of the patients get relief from pain after a few treatments. To find a MD near you that may be able to help contact The American College for Advancement in Medicine at 714-583-7666
    * The information in this article should not replace the advice of your medical practitioner.

2. herblady

herblady New Member

hopefully this might help some people.

A Natural Approach To Healthy Living
    By Lucinda Jenkins LPNHC
    Facing Fibromyalgia

So you have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? Bummer, because this is a painful and obnoxious disease. Eighty percent of the fibromyalgia patients are female. It has been classified only in the past 10 years as a disease and still somewhat of a mystery to science. I would suggest that a disease that is as common as asthma needs to be put on the forefront of research.
    Some studies show a link between Clinical Depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Espstein-Barr virus, Mononucleosis and of course Candida albicans, anemia, parasites and my own opinion and observations seems to connect it to environmental contact with chemicals.
    (but you know what they say about opinions don't ya?)
    What is known is that there is a deficient amount of magnesium in the body and an inablility to absorb magnesium. The diet should have magnesium intake increased.
    Magnesium sources are fish, apples, apricots, avocadoes, nuts, brown rice, soybeans, bananas, kelp, black eyed peas, figs, grapefruit, peaches. Alot of herbs are high in magnesium like alfalfa, bladderwrack, catnip, chickweed, dandelion, horsetail, peppermint.
    Another deficiency found in the Fibromylagia victim is the lack of Maltic Acid. This can be found in fresh apples or in a supplement form. Did you notice that apples have magnesium and maltic acid? An apple a day?.....
    You may want to curtail your consumption of the nightshade family vegetables like green peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, and white potatoes. The reason for this is because they contain solanine that interferes with the muscle enzymes and this can cause pain and discomfort.
    Sleeping patterns and insomnia seem to be an issue also. You might try valerian root and skullcap capsules at night or chamomile tea before bedtime.
    Try to maintain a regular program of moderate exercise. Going for a daily walk or mild stretching exercises working up to a low-impact aerobic exercise will help. To overexert yourself can do more harm than good so take it slow building up your activity level.
    There is also another treatment called Myers Cocktail named after Dr. John Myers of Johns Hopkins University. It is a combination of IV vitamins and minerals. It is reported that over 80% of the patients get relief from pain after a few treatments. To find a MD near you that may be able to help contact The American College for Advancement in Medicine at 714-583-7666
    * The information in this article should not replace the advice of your medical practitioner.

3. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi herbalady,

An OK read, here, but really, nothing new. As you say about opinions, even researchers have them. I'm waiting for the day, anxiously, when these theories(or others) become fact, and we begin to see some REAL help.

The magnesium-malic acid connection sure seems to be a factor for SOME people, as do the nightshade plants. But, not for everyone, unfortunately. I, personnally, get quite ill (digestively) when I take these (M-M), and seem to respond negatively to potatoes, but not apples. So, as usual, this DD is completely individualized, and therefore, so are the therapies that work.

For those that have not yet explored these therapies, give 'em a try. The most you have to lose is pain, and the most you can hope to gain is your life back. Worth a shot.

What does "LPNHC" stand for? Licensed Practical Nurse, Herbal Consultant? Sorry, I'm TOTALLY guessing here (duh!)

Thanks for sharing,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Good article for the new people.

So far, I have been one of the fortunate ones, the magnesium has been a God send to me. I am also allergic to the Nightshade family too.

I can't use the Valerian or the Camomile Tea, but the ZMA had taken care of my sleep problems.

Like Copper said, we are all so different! But this is a good article, and mostly simple to follow for starters.

Thanks lady,

Shalom, Shirl
  5. contessa

contessa New Member

Alfalfa, chickweek, dandelion and apples? Now I understand why my mare is well..."healthy as a horse"! I wonder if she'll share the pasture.
  6. herblady

herblady New Member

lol contessa, move over, i'll come over and share the pasture with you. actually, i don't think there's much in this to help me. malic acid doesn't help and i already eat lots of apples. i don't have a problem with nightshades that i know of. but i just thought maybe somebody could get some use out of this info. cindi
  7. herblady

herblady New Member

bumping once for newbies. cindi
  8. Carol B.

Carol B. New Member

Hi Herblady! I would like your opinion on DHEA. I am taking Prozac depression, Trazadone sleep, Thyroid supplement(22 yrs), Sulindac anti-inflammatory. My husband is taking it and was told it is a wonder hormone. I do not have a doctor in Tucson, (please read profile). Can you help me?
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

But, want to warn all people who are allergic to Ragweed that they should not risk drinking Chamommile tea!
    Klutzo
  10. herblady

herblady New Member

well if i were on thyroid medication i would not take dhea. it is the mother hormone and since thyroid has to do with hormones i would be afraid it would cause an imbalance. one thing you don't need is another imbalance. cindi
  11. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

As so many of us do suffer from so many deficiencies, I'm bumping this for the newest members.

Just a note. I had read that magnesium supp. esp. can cause stomach upset and/or diarrhea. So I took the advice (can't remember who) and started out with a 1/4 of the recommended dose on the bottle. Then I gradually increased it over a week's time, had no problems. I really feel it was what helped the pins & needles in hands and legs...very rare to have them now, & I had them in all 4 limbs frequently thruout the day.

Thanks again. Michele