Some Type of Costochondritis--Help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

OK, I do get the costo that affects the sternum and ribs in the front of my chest. I swear my breast tissue hurts as well (ultrasound of breast said it was fibroglandular tissue). BUT, does anyone get costo pain along the diaphram bones--burns and hurts--sometimes I wonder if it is my stomach hurting or from the bones????

What do you all do or take for your costo?

Mine comes and goes--like a chronic condition. Does anyone know if costo is arthritis or autoimmune?

Thanks everyone,
  2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

Taniaf,the diaphram pain kinda sounds like your gall bladder, mine flares from time to time, and thats right where i hurt. it's like a deep dull ache. i too have the costo and that is bad enough, but the pain is different than when my gallbladder acts up.just a thought.
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Yes, I remember when my GB acted up--but I had it removed last summer. This is definately a form of Costo. It's like an immune response.

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

then thats my guess also, from what i have read about costo, it can go all over your rib cage and the pain can even spread to your back & shoulder blades. All i know is besides my feet, it's the most miserable pain i have with this DD.
    hot showers, no pulling or pushing on things, pain med & time will help.
  5. star273

star273 New Member

I had my gallbladder checked out just to make sure it wasnt that... they did an ultrasound and it wasnt that... but I do have that same pain... my ribs and my shoulder blades... it does burn and hurt.... I dont know what to do about it... I do stretch over a yoga ball several times a day... That seems to help.. Nothing really helps. I put pain cream on it and heat.... doesnt work either..
    Hope you find something..
  6. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

yes I get it several times a year and am pretty miserable. When it first hits me the pain is so severe l ways question wether its my heart or costoconritis.its always on my left side of chest, rib, breastbone. The only relief I get is take 2 aspirins, warm baths or place a heating pad on it for a few days and stop usuing my arm, hand or chest muscle as much as I can. Rest that area. It always happens on my left side and Im left handed so that makes it worst. I have an arm sling that helps some. I guess its pretty common in people with fibro. The Dr. has no known cause or really dont have a treatment that really helps. Very upsetting and scarey painful! wish there was something I could tell all of us that would really help. i suffered all day today and thinki it will be with me for awhile. darn it.God Bless
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2009]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Inflammation where the ribs connect to the sternum. If you run your fingers down along the sternum and put pressure between the rubs, you should find the tender spot. It will hurt like hell. I usually end up with it following bronchitis. I see my psyiatrist (doctor of physical medicine) sports doc and he injects the sore spot with a steroid. It's the only way I can get rid of it.

The pain is often spread out from the tender spot to the whole side of the upper torso and can feel as though it shoots out the back in one's shoulder blade. It can also cause pain in the arm.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  8. tut90

tut90 Member

I remember years ago having to go the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. I think that was the beginning of my Fibro. As matter of fact I been going through the pain today. The only thing that helps me some is to place a Thermacare heatwrap on my spine. Like many of you in happens only on my left side, sometimes it scares me, because I feel the pain of the breast.

9. 2manyanimals

2manyanimals New Member

I use a Tens unit when my costo gets really bad. The diaphragm pain sounds like gallbladder. I didn't have costo until the surgery to remove the gallbladder. I get pain really bad in my shoulders and it runs across my chest. The TENS unit uses electrical stimulation to block the pain response. It is awesome. I use it everyday.

10. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Oh T, I'm so sorry you are having this! It's so painful. IF you can take anti-infamatories (always with food!), do so. I found that a heating pad helped me some. It takes time to get over - a couple of weeks for the pain to go away totally. The lower ribs can dislocate if you have hypermobility like in Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.
  11. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

I have pain all over my body with this dd. But I find the costo pain the absolute worst of the lot. For me it's a constant. The sharpest pain right in the middle of my rib cage on the side of my torso. Injections don't help. The only things that provide relief are heating pad, hot shower, pain meds, and some light stretching sometimes helps. So sorry you're going through this, I know the pain well and just wish it would go away. It's like a bad houseguest that won't leave.

Heat and whatever you use for pain would be my suggestions.

Hang in there.