Someone explain Atlas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I hear the word Atlas used when describing neck pain. Can someone please tell me what this is? My head has just been killing me and I think it is coming from neck. Maybe a pullout flare with the Guaifenesen?

What is Atlas?
  2. Gran9

Gran9 New Member

I think it is one of two bones in the neck that are adjusted during an upper cervical chiropractic adjustment. Been reading a lot about this but what with brain fog, I may be wrong
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

but because of poor memory....

here goes:

atlas and axis are the top two cervical vertebrae. Atlas is named after Greek God Atlas. Named so because upon it rests the world -- your head/brain [ you know, Atlas is a guy who is often depicted holding the world on his shoulders?]

Axis - refers to 2nd vertebra which is structured in such a way as to allow a lot of rotation? It serves as a pivot for turning the head

Atlas = C1
    Axis = C2

are very important spinal vertebra and are very specially constructed for their particular biological purposes, they are unique in their construction, whereas the other vertebrae are generally grouped for similarities in appearance and function - the cervical vertebrae, the thoracic vertebrae and the lumbar vertebrae.

If I remember correctly...
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

for man with fibro
  5. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Wouldn't think that having a quackopractor rip your head around like Exorcist is good for this. I hate that cracking your neck really fast stuff. Did it once, never again.
    Hope it didn't make me worse.
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Hope your neck pain is a little better today! Do you have a cervical disk injury? Or whiplash? or is your neck pain from the fibro?

I gather you are not exactly pro-chiropractic!!!

Chiropractic adjustments are not indicated for all neck problems, and one does have to be careful, but they can be helpful for a lot of people.

I am surprised by how many people who are afraid of neck adjustments or very suspicious of them!

The reason adjustments are done fast is because they can are done best successfully while the neck muscles are relaxed, if done slower, your neck muscles would start to guard the area as an automatic reaction. Also, adjustments are best on the spine if done with a high speed, but low amplitude on the joint.

The "cracking" noise is actually gas popping from the joint space, if I remember correctly. When your joint isn't aligned properly, but then put in place, I think the synovial fluid [?} that builds up in the joint space is moved out and becomes a gas, or something like that, hence the popping noise. I see/hear it as a GOOD thing! I am glad my joint is back in proper alignment and I feel a sense of relief. But, maybe with your neck pain you find it painful and not relieving.

Chiropractors do vary in quality of care. I do not like chiros who take you into a room spend 2 minutes cracking your back and 'give me my money, see ya later...'

Also, before adjusting your neck for the first time, it is best for a chiro to do a special test - forget what it's called - to make sure it's not risky for you. They will hold your neck to the side and have you watch their finger move with your eyes and stuff. Only takes a minute, but should be done when you first start with a chiro to ensure you can be safely adjusted in the neck area.

But, I hear from your colourful description that neck adjustment is something you really didn't like and it seems many others don't.

Me -- I like it and am thankful for it, it helps me.

Have you tried the Homemedics massager or mini-Thumper or any other massagers on your neck? I find them helpful.

Oh, and traction, esp for atlas, axis I think is very helpful. Has anyone done that for you? Chiro, massage therapist, physio?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]
  7. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Moving my neck, I feel pain in chest, between shoulder blades etc. It started a long time ago with whiplash. I have been to chiropractors and vowed never again to do that cracking thing in neck. For one, it hurts. Two, it adds more trauma, in my opinion.
  8. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi MWF,

I have been going to a chiro on and off since I was a teen and had a gymnastics fall. Since then, I have been back for whiplash and other back strains. I love my chiro because often I will go into his office with great pain and come out pain free, at least temporarily.

If your chiro could explain the benefits to you in a way that you would understand, It might help ease your anxiety.
    My understanding of it is this: Your back joints need to move to get enough blood and oxigen to keep them from calcifying and creating more stiffness and pain.

Its great it you can find a doc who will use some kind of heat or massage to loosen your muscles before you go in.

It took me 8 years to talk my husband (also with Fibro) to go in for an adjustment and he says the adjustments make him feel "looser."

I just think chiro is a great drug-free, safe pain reliver.

Mrs. Zoso
  9. Gran9

Gran9 New Member

A NUCCA Chiro. does not whip your head around! You lie on your side and he/she applies gentle pressure. You hardle feel it. You may want to try one of these chiros. that specialize in this procedure.
  10. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

They want you to come back 3x a week for the rest of your life so they can get rich off of you. IF it worked, you wouldn't need it again and again and again. I laughed at the fair over the weekend. There was a FREE Spinal analysis. I guarantee that that quackopractor told everyone that their spine was out of alignment.

I do see a very unusual chirpractor who pushes on your feet
    and can tell where you hurt and he does NON FORCE. He agrees that most quackopractic is fraud.
  11. Jen F

Jen F New Member

but, chiropractic care is NOT 99% fraud.

I'm sorry you haven't had a great experience with adjustments, but a lot of people get relief from adjustments. Granted, doesn't seem to be a CURE for most people, but it is helpul for pain relief and fatigue to be properly aligned in your spine.

YOu wouldn't say aspirin is fraud, would you? That helps with headaches, but doesn't cure them.. When it wears off, you need another one.

I admit that there is a lot of room for improvement with many chiropractors -- a quick crack is not worth what some charge and is not enough help. But a good chiro knows more about the spine and extremity joints than md's, Chiropractors go to school for about 7 years, and after University, the first year at Chiropractic College intensive, very similar to medical school, including work with cadavers to fully understand anatomy.

Yes, most chiros can't CURE most people, but chiro care is a very helpful adjunct for many people.

Glad you found one that works for you.

Personally, I find your continuous use of the phrase "quackopractor" offensive and I for one would really prefer if you stop using it. I am sure the majority of the board would agree with me.

Thanks.