Someone Got my Debit Card Number!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Mar 6, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I am so mad right now, I can hardly tell you. Somehow, someone got a hold of my debit card number - yes, the one linked to my checking account.

Whoever it was tried to purchase a $600 digital camera from Bestbuy.com. Fortunately, the different billing & shipping addresses tipped them off & Best Buy called me to verify my order. I obviously didn't know what she was talking about, but it didn't take too long to figure out what happened.

So, I had to cancel my card, so I don't have one for at least a week (I use that card to buy everything - so convenient)! AND, this really creeps me out - whoever got my info also got my home address & phone number. I sure hope they don't get mad about the camera they won't be getting & come after me! I'm not really worried, but it is an uneasy feeling.

I just feel so violated. The kicker is that Bestbuy.com would not give me the shipping information that was provided. This jerk has my address, but I can't have his?? Whatever. She said they would give that info to the police if I filed a report.

Anyways, just wanted to vent I guess. It is amazing these days how good those bastards are!!!

Hope everyone has a good week!

Leanne
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

right away or you dont know what they might buy on 'your behalf'.

Thats really horrible but the police will get to the bottom of it.

love
    Rosie
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

on thursday night..he wanted me to use my credit card or my atm debit card to sign him up for something online video games...

sorry that happened to you...jodie
  4. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

I'm sorry about your card, that's not easy to go through. I once had all my credit cards stolen from my office by a patient and they wiped out my accounts and my debit card that was linked to my savings etc. We were in the process of buying our house too, so the new "total" on my credit cards even though under investigation was a nightmare.

What I do now just for some of you on line shoppers, I have a credit card that has only a $500 limit. That is the only card I use to order things by phone or on line. This was if something gets out they can't get much. Just a hint I learned. I would also check your credit reports and notify them just in case. Good luck.

M J
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

yes, they are GOOD, since I am awfully careful. There was 2 transactions made on my card, somewhere out east (I live out west in the US). The bad thing is, the business never called me to verify. I police reported and cancelled the card, got my money back, since this is the banks error. I SO wanted to know who the bastard were, but i guess I have to live with not knowing. I would kick their assess (sorry,,LOL!), that money belonged to a poor, single mother and her 2 kids! I wish I knew how they do it. My police officer told me they had another person in town come in with the exact same report, with the same kind of transaction (small town). I guess they scan city to city from a computer. Hmmmm,
  6. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I would definitely file a police report because they could attempt to use it again. Most debit cards have a once a day $500 purchase allowance.

Me and hubby won't even sign our debit cards and instead we put check ID on the back, and for the most part clerks always ask for it.

It might be a good idea to close out that account and open another one since you are receiving a new card?

I hope your week improves!

Lindy :O)
  7. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I had mine stolen a couple of years ago too. I filed a police report. Mine was stolen via a phishing scam. I received an email that looked like it came from Paypal (which it didn't, it was from crooks) asking for info, and i stupidly thought it came from there and answered the questions, giving them access to my card. I had no idea until I had a negative balance in my account. They replaced my money the next day though. I got a new card number and checking account number.

My husband and I only use the credit card for purchases online, no debit cards. They supposedly offer more protection.

I know it feels like a violation! It is creepy!! Sorry you are going through that.

Hugs,

Deena
  8. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Just to let you all know - I did have the card cancelled. The number does not work anymore. And, they did not steal my card - just the number. I'm sure it was an internet purchase I made - I'll b using my $200 limit credit card for those from now on!!

9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

tHEY HAVE to give it to the fraud squad, so file a report and insist they follow up with Best Buy and track this thief down. Also make sure the cops know this thief has your name and address etc. tell them how serious it is.

Store clerks ran a ring in NJ stealing card numbers. I won;t use cards now since my MIL got robbed $10,000 in small $300 amounts.

I never used ATM in my life as I never thought they were safe.

Blooming shame that the honest here have to suffer. I hope that person pays for it.

Love Anne C
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

My daughter got her car window smashed in and her purse stolen along with credit cards and check book. She was so quick to get everything called in but still they went on a binge.
    They actually opened up an account at Home Depot with her drivers' license. Can they not look at the picture and see that it isn't her?? Or was it an inside job?
    The police WILL NOT do anything about it. In fact, the stores that do have cameras will not let you see the footage. There is a time stamped on alot of charge slips.
    If everybody would work together, wouldn't it be better?
    I got that same message from PayPal and I was very skeptical and just deleted it. I'm so sorry, Leanne, that this happened to you. I just know you are the sweetest person like my daughter and do not need this. Do the paper work and this will pass eventually.