Someone please tell me if I am wrong

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Sep 30, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I just replied to another post and I really hope I am wrong.
    I was wondering if younger people get denied more for SSDI because of there age? I am really affraid that I will offend someone because of that post. I think I sould delete it....What do you think? Is that an offensive question?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/30/2006]
  2. janieb

janieb New Member

Didn't see your last post, but the salary is cast ahead to what you could be expected to make at 65+. At least that's my understanding.

Hope that helps your situation.

janieb
  3. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

I just replied to that post myself and offered my experience as proof that age def does effect your disability claim...My lawyers and docs told me we had an uphill battle MAINLY due to my age...

I don't think this would offend anyone, esp here, where we all understand the 'system'...

Don't fret...And if someone has an issue I am sure they will let you know their feelings if so inclined...But I wouldn't worry 'bout it...

Keep posting for more support if you need it, someone here is always helpful...

~Alicia
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

thanks so much for your replies. I guess I just worry about everything. This is the only place I can go for support and I don't want to lose it. All of you have been so kind to me and most of all....so helpful with all my questions...Thanks so much to everyone on this board...Mick!!
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi fieldmouse,
    i don't think anyone will take offense to your question and reasoning, as we are all so stressed out by the whole thing. Most people over 50 have an easier, but by no means easy, time getting approved, as they are closer to retirement age anyway, while the ssa feels us young folks should continue contributing (i am 45).
    I can actually see their point, but we all know that if we could, we would much rather be productive members of society than having to depend on SSDI, and so would most people closer to or even at retirement age! My mother works full time at 72 years old, and it makes me feel like such a deadbeat to need to draw on the system, but i have no choice.
    Meanwhile, there are alot of "deadbeats" that actually play the system, and know how to do it to get instant approval, while we all struggle to get what we need to survive, because we are so honest that we don't know the ins and outs of "playing the system", and, wouldn't use dishonest tactics even if we did know these tricks! . And i am sure that all of us on this board would much rather be putting into the system than taking out, but are left with no choice. It is because of the few that abuse the system that we honest, hardworking (at least we were) tax payers have to fight so hard for a benefit designed to help us if we are unable to work!
    So, now i hope that i didn't offend anyone, either,but that is why the age becomes so important to the government. Take care--L
  6. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I see no reason that the question is offensive.

I have heard that the younger you are the harder it is to receive it. But on a postive note, I received mine at age 29 on the first try with no lawyer and didnt even have to see one of their doctors. So there is hope for everyone I say no matter the age if you deserve it then by all means go ahead and apply.
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I got my dh on this when he was 40. He is head injured. He gets an allowance based upon what he had earned previous to his injury. It was not "cast ahead". He gets $528 a month and gets the princley sum of $92 each for our son and me. I have to complete a form twice a year to prove I am not "wasting" my son's allowance. So that is about $700 altogether for a family of three.

If we have more than $1,000 in the bank (inluding money in there to pay our mortgage and taxes) he is not allowed any extra money or Medicaid. As we are home owners we always have to have some money available to pay standing bills, so we just don't bother applying for extra.

I am not a citizen although I paid taxes here and ss for many years, so I cannot apply for disability for me.

The whole system is very uneven state to state.

Love Anne
  8. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

for all your replies. I feel much better about what I said now. I guess it is just reality...Thanks again...Mick!!
  9. angiecw71

angiecw71 New Member

What disability did file on your claim. How long did it take you?? I am 35, just applied a month ago. I just got a letter for the Disability Determination Board for me to call them. They want me to go to a psychiatrist. I was just wondering if you had to do the same. You will see in my profile the reasons that I am not able to work.

Thanks,
    Angie
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

You are correct -- persons under the age of 50 are more likely to be denied. So are people with higher education levels.

I don't think that is an offensive question -- and no need to delete it!

Janet
  11. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

Angie, Sorry it took so long to answer you, I just was able to find this post again.

To answer your question, I was approved on the basis of "Chronic Pain Syndrome". This was before I had any of the Dx's I have now. It took about 5 months from the time I filed. I wasnt sent to any of their docs at all. It was all based on my docs letters and my statements.

Actually it was kind of weird the way it all happened. After talking to my doc and agreeing that I should file he told me he would get the ball rolling and contact them. I few weeks later I was sent papers in the mail to fill out. I ended up going in and someone their filled them out for me. (I have a learning disability and sometimes have trouble understanding paperwork)

The lady at SS asked me each question and I answered, she wrote the responses for me. Then I guess they got everything they needed from my doc. About 5 months later the money showed up in my bank account.

Was never sent to any of their docs or contacted any more by them.

Of course the things I read now it's not near as simple to be approved. But no matter if you are unable to work and feel you need to do this then go for it. Just be truthful and most of all dont give up. This is what they want you to do. I think this is the reason they make it so hard for people anymore to be approved. They figure you will just give up and it's less money they have to pay.

Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2006]