Someone stole my pain pills? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Sep 22, 2009.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I picked up my hydrocodone from the Walmart pharmacy on the 17th, they were filled on the 15th. I get 30 5/500mg pills per month. They were in a tall bottle making them look like less than usual, but that is no big deal but today I went to get one and decided to count them because it did not look like enough and I ONLY HAVE 15! And I think I had one left from my last script when I got these!

So in 6 days 1/2 of my script is gone and I DID NOT TAKE THAT MANY!! The MOST I have ever taken is 2 whole pills in one day versus 1/2 twice a day and in all the time I have been taking these I have been at the same dose and # of pills per month and have never run out.

But if I DO run out before I can get some more.... I don't have to tell you how that will be. I feel like my doc will give me another script if I explain. He knows me and knows I have never gone over in the 2 or 3 YEARS I have been taking this, so he might be okay with it but the insurance co might not fill it early.

I have learned a lesson though, I WILL count from now on. What can I do now, a week later? Anything? I need some advice cause this has shaken me up a bit. My pain is not as bad as some, but I do need to take this nearly every day at least once but usually more. this is bad! I hate the implications and not knowing what to do and what will happen. Thanks to all of you for your help.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This actually happened to me with my Clonazepam. When I noticed that half of my prescription was gone, I went back to the pharmacist and they replaced it, no questions asked. However, I heard that the person who filled the prescription was no longer working there.

This may not apply to you but I would at least call your doctor and find out what your options are. Since you have a three year record of not going over, I would think your doctor would take this into account.

Would a urine test tell how much you have been taking before you run out?

3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

about the urine test, gap, but you know I would be willing to do whatever it took to prove it was not me. I am VERY thankful for your response and will follow up with my doc and pharmacy. Of course I am afraid of what they will say but I am more afraid to run out of pain pills. Right now I feel like I need to take another half but I won't just yet to conserve. I will post updates as I have them and hopefully I can be helped and others as well.
    God Bless
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

So you're saying the pharmacy didn't give you enough to begin with or someone stole them since you picked them up?

I had a "mishap" at a pharmacy about 4 years ago. It was a terrible experience. My husband always picked up my prescriptions. For some reason, they always gave me two small bottles instead of one bigger one. (why I don't know) They were always marked 1 of 2 (or 2 of 2). Well when my 15 days were up, I went to get the second bottle and there wasn't one. EXACTLY 15 days. My husband didn't know any better to look or check when he picked up and I didn't even think to look cause it was normal to just put them in the cupboard. There was nothing written on the bottle (1 of 2) and there was NO physical way that my prescription could fit in the bottle they gave me. My Dr. was willing to help me, my insurance would have been fine - it was the pharmacy that refused to do anything. No other pharmacy would help either - they must have put something in the computer - my Dr's office actually called around for me.
    They were able to get me some Tramadol.

I learned a lot from that. COUNT. It would be smarter to count when you're there - not terribly practical, but once you get home, I'm not sure how some pharmacies would be about that.
    We are the victim of other people's abuse.

Your insurance should fill if your Dr. changes your script in the slightest way. They may even fill it without him doing so. With many people's conditions, Dr's order them to take more than originally prescribed depending on the situation they're in during the month. Being without all of sudden isn't good for you - so talk to your Dr. now before the last minute. Sounds like you have a good relationship so shouldn't be a problem.
    Ask, "what should I do" I'm sure he'll help you!

Please let us know how it goes. I'd call now since you just discovered it.
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

To answer your question Janalynn, I think the pharmacy shorted me. I cannot think of anyone that would take them. I don't go that many places.

I called the docs office, they said call the pharmacy, which I probably should have done first. The pharmacy, it seems, is counting what they have to see if there is an overage in their stock. The girl on the phone mentioned that and asked if I would like to wait or be called back. I am trying to be nice about it and not appear to be freaking out (yet) and said she could call me back. I haven't hear yet and since it has been 20 minutes or so I envision that the counting went okay and now they are exploring more options, but that might not be so.

I guess I have heard so many horror stories about pain pills being stolen, etc that I panicked and I might not have anything to panic about. They might just fill it with no trouble but since it is a "controlled" substance they might not be able to do that. I don't know, but I will keep you all posted.
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The pharmacy says that 2 techs counted what they have and they do not have extra. She said there is nothing they can do about it. I put in a call to the doctor's office for suggestions and am waiting to hear back.

I tell you the truth, if you think I won't stand there and count those suckers next time, you are sorely mistaken! If I have to do without for 10 days I am cooked. That is all there is to it.
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks so much. I will do it right now!
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

No word from doc's office yet. Husband suggested 12 On Your Side which is a local news station that investigates things their viewers complain about basically. I am anxious to hear what the doc said. I have already had a half this morning and it is around 7 am. I feel like I barely slept last night so today at work will be a real challenge! Blech!
  9. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Doc's office never called back but I did get a voice mail message from the Walmart Pharmacy Manger. Unfortunately, she was not working when I called on Friday but I left a message for her to call me. Today is Saturday and I don't know if she was in or not, but I did not get a call. I will call her again on Monday if she does not call me. I am curious as to what she has to say. I am sure it is in response to my posting on the web site as suggested. I am hoping they will give me a remedy but not sure yet.
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I've been shorted Xanax, by accident, and it was all fine because they script was in a bottle that could not contain what I was prescribed.

You mentioned that the bottle was different. It might be worth checking to see if your full script would fit in the bottle you have and/or taking it into the pharmacy and asking them if they use the bottle you have for that number of pills that size.

Good luck,
  11. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I called the pharmacy again today and was told the pharmacy manager comes in this afternoon and the girl who took my call is the same as took it Friday and had left a message. She said she would ask her to call me right away, but it is after 3 and no call yet.

The bottle I got was bigger than the one I usually get. Could be they did not have the smaller bottle or could be someone was trying to hide the fact that some were missing because in a smaller bottle it would have been obvious right away.
  12. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I think you should definitely speak with the pharmacy manager, no techs. Is the manager also the Pharmacist? I'd insist on speaking to the pharmacist if that is not the manager.

If the size of the bottle is larger than usual, you may have been robbed by the tech that filled the RX. I'd point that out to the manager.

You are out pills. Sombody took them. That's a serious crime.

Keep us informed, will you.

Best of luck.
  13. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I don't know about the manager being the pharmacist because I can't get her on the line! I called twice yesterday. the second time she was there but busy and promised to call back but did not. i am trying to figure out if I am going to make it to refill or not. :=(
  14. SBear

SBear Member

A few years ago I was seriously shorted by the pharmacist on pain medications. I wrote to the doctor and I also changed pharmacies. I also took the prescription back to the pharmacy and after a few crude remarks he made good on the prescription. I mentioned this to some online buddies and apparently the medication has a significant street value. Hm! I would say the wise course is to count any medications that have a potential for theft.

One friend of mine was repeatedly burglarized for her medications. After she filled out a police report she finally got her prescription replaced. At that point I suggested that she get a bank safety deposit box and keep only a small supply in the house, and word got around and the burglaries stopped.

I have heard of medications being stolen by guests, employees, family members, friends, anyone who comes into the house. The best solution is a bank safety deposit box----they were not prescribed for any of these people. Sad but true!
  15. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

After I sent a second message on the walmart website I got ANOTHER call from the pharmacy saying they had the rest of my prescription ready for me AND a gift card! So a big thank you to the person who suggested the website. It worked!!! I really did not expect that to happen, but I am glad it did and you better believe that from now on, I will count before I leave the store!
  16. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I'm so happy this has worked out for you! God Bless you!

17. Spacey

Spacey Member

This was a great post. I learned something here. I wouldn't have known what to do if something like that happened to me. Thanks Spacey!
  18. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

This has happened to me. I was missing 40 percocet tablets. I didn't notice right away because I get a huge bottle each month. I noticed the bottle was looking too low for how long I had it. I counted the pills in the bottle and compared it to my notebook where I record every pill or medication I take and the time of day and i came out short 40!!! pills!....

I freaked out and called the pharmacy. I was pretty sure it had to have happened at the pharmacy since i am homebound/bedbound and the pills are right by my bed....the pharmacy counted their supply twice and it came out correct which meant the pills had disappeared after we picked them up.

The only thing that could have happened is I left the house ONCE during the time those pills were in the house. We have a PCA for our daughter who is disabled. (like a nurse's aide) and she left at the same time we left for a few hours. She knew we were going to a dance performance and wouldn't be home for a few hours. We live in a small town and only lock our doors at night. I know, I know....

about a week later i noticed the pill bottle looking daughter's birthday money disappeared from her card while this girl was working, too....we were instructed by the pharmasict to mark some pills and leave them out as bait while she was working....I left them in the bathroom where i never left them before and I think it was obviously a trap....because she never took the bait.....

we couldn't have her here any longer so we called the police and reported the theft....they called her and her boyfriend in for separate questioning, hoping that she would squeal on her boyfriend.....apparently he had a history of drug theft.....unfortunately, she wouldn't, they let her go and we canned her....she never admitted it but one of the other PCA's gave her a ride and while she made a quick stop, $20 disappeared from her bank envelope....not all the money in it, just a twenty....that made me sure that this girl took the pills and the money....

it made me sick to think that her nasty boyfriend was in my BEDROOM pawing through my things....and stealing my meds that I need! and he doesn't....JERK!

My doc prescribed more pills for questions asked BUT he is a family friend, too...but, he follows the rules carefully and we have a written contract regarding my dosage and frequency of refills....

so, you just never know who to trust...and how badly people will betray would have felt much worse if it had been a family member or close friend and i hear that is very common...

I think in this situation, calling the pharmacy, the doc, and thee police is what to are innocent andneed to document the could help in the future if it keeps happening...maybe will show a pattern....

19. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

After this debacle last year, I WAS counting EVERY time, BUT... I feel stupid doing it and I also got lazy about it too. Thankfully this time it was only one pill, but I sincerely think they got a problem at that pharmacy. Same as last time on the big bottle deal. I have since gone up to 7.5 so the pills and the bottle are larger, taller but still slim, but this time when I opened the bag, I had a short fat bottle. I laughed when I saw it but right after that my mind said, uh oh! I counted right away and came up one short. One short won't make or break me, so I am not about to jump through hoops to get ONE pill, but I did contact Walmart using the same link as the last time that was suggested. Just thought you guys would want to know...

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Change pharmacies.

Love, Mikie